shooting at/ or around dumont?

dtm

Just curious if anyone goes shooting around dumont area and if its legal. We were thinking of going waaayy off to the left side of the big dunes to go shooting. thanks

I alwalys stop at the at a certian off ramp to shoot my guns my wife says it illegal to shoot there but i never seen any signs but i would be interested in doing some shooting on t-day weekend

Just curious if anyone goes shooting around dumont area and if its legal. We were thinking of going waaayy off to the left side of the big dunes to go shooting. thanks

Don't even think about it. If you are west of the T&T grade you are endangering people like me that like to follow that grade. If you are east of it you are in wilderness.

Eli

More importantly, if you are from CA and happen to have the right permits to carry/posses a firearm, you still will face significant penalties for shooting in a restricted area. If you are from Nevada or anywhere else, there is NO RECIPROCITY for carry concealed permits for hand guns. You are also not allowed to carry a rifle or shotgun across the state line except by special permit during hunting season.

There are very stiff felony penalties that will have sever impact your future. Don't risk it.

By the way, I support our 2nd Amendment Right.

More importantly, if you are from CA and happen to have the right permits to carry/posses a firearm, you still will face significant penalties for shooting in a restricted area. If you are from Nevada or anywhere else, there is NO RECIPROCITY for carry concealed permits for hand guns. You are also not allowed to carry a rifle or shotgun across the state line except by special permit during hunting season.

There are very stiff felony penalties that will have sever impact your future. Don't risk it.

By the way, I support our 2nd Amendment Right.

Don't you just love CA! Just keep repeating it's the guns.

I was out camping in desert (not at Dumont but not far qway) with a friend when I noticed a .45 under his vest. I asked him about it as I thought carrying concealed in CA was next to impossible. He just laughed and said not if you contribute to the right re-election campain. Shouldn't have surprised me wasn't that guy that ran in Clark County a reserve deputy something or other from CA?

Another time I was following the T&T grade on the Nevada side up by Leeland (by Big Dune) hearing several gunshots I found myself down range of a carload of teenagers. I got out of there, found cover and got out the scope. I ain't saying attached to what. CA plates and they were wearing the same color dew rags. Up there things are a bit different. If you are west of the grade shooting at bottles on the grade you happen to be in a National Park but God forbid I get caught in one with a firearm.

Had lunch at Longstreet's and told a Nye County leo about it. He said it happened all the time, the bangers like to come to Nevada to get their pactice in. Feeling undergunned and not well re-enforced he generally headed the other way when he came across them. Can't say I blame him but for a second I did have other thoughts.

Remember in CA it's the guns that are bad.

Eli

On most California public(BLM/Nat'l Forest, etc.) land, with a standard hunting license, you can carry and fire weapons. Should you carry a CONCEALED weapon, you do need a permit. And no, not all Californians, believe "it's the guns". Just out of curiosity, how's the "dew rag" wearing gang population in the Vegas area? Must all be California transplants. . .

On most California public(BLM/Nat'l Forest, etc.) land, with a standard hunting license, you can carry and fire weapons. Should you carry a CONCEALED weapon, you do need a permit. And no, not all Californians, believe "it's the guns". Just out of curiosity, how's the "dew rag" wearing gang population in the Vegas area? Must all be California transplants. . .

You know you might just be right about the California transplants, the number of expired CA plates in Vegas employee parking lots is unreal. I'm not sure that loaded firearms are ever permitted in Death Valley National Park or that there ever is a season for hunting or shooting there. I'm not even sure that there isn't California license for glass bottles. I am sure that firing a rife that is illegal in CA, accross flat county, without a backstop, and toward me and the homes, farms and ranchs of Amaragosa is stupid and could be deadly.

In Vegas when feeling undergunned and not well re-enforced, I head the other way but I don't worry about it. I don't worry when camping in the Nevada desert even when that crazy was running around the Nevada desert. Seems to me he was caught and shot himself close to Dumont. When I have to go to certain sections of LA I worry. Sometimes in the CA desert I worry about the guys coming up on my camp in the middle of night. Not that I won't be able to protect myself but that by doing so I'm going to be playing who dropped the soap in the shower with Bubba. Not all Californians, believe "it's the guns" but CA gun laws don't make any sense and at least in theory they were passed by Californians.

The gang population in Las Vegas out numbers the total number of carry permits in the entine state of Nevada and Metro generally opposes anything that comes up in Carson City with regard to carry permits. For what it's worth that doesn't make sense to me either. There is NO RECIPROCITY in Nevada with any other state although Nevada has just passed a law to start looking into it. Wonder how long that's gonna take?

Eli

Shooting anywhere near or at Dumont is illegal! :beercheers:

WOAH!!!

since when?!?!?!

we got a 9 mm we shot last year

we set some cans up on the rocks

a sheriff came by askin if we were gonna pick up the trash and then left

i donno...i been goin there for a while and its alwasy been legal..or should i say tolerated considering its BLM property fire arms can only be fired a certain distance off public roads.

maybe they changed the rules cuz of all the people floodin in from glamis

and the crowd is gettin to be a problem.

WOAH!!!

since when?!?!?!

we got a 9 mm we shot last year

we set some cans up on the rocks

a sheriff came by askin if we were gonna pick up the trash and then left

i donno...i been goin there for a while and its alwasy been legal..or should i say tolerated considering its BLM property fire arms can only be fired a certain distance off public roads.

maybe they changed the rules cuz of all the people floodin in from glamis

and the crowd is gettin to be a problem.

It's been a rule for years. ;)

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/dumont.html

Rules and Regulations

All vehicles must have a muffler or spark arrester and have either a street-legal license or be registered as an off-highway vehicle.

If you are not a resident of California and your OHV is not registered in your home state, you are required to have a California "Nonresident" OHV permit to legally operate your vehicle.

All OHVs must have a mast and red or orange flag for visibility in the dunes.

Vehicles operated at night must use both headlights and taillights.

Helmets are required to be worn by all riders of ATVs.

Only one person at a time is allowed on an ATV.

Possession or use of any glass container, empty or not, used for carrying any liquid for drinking purposes is prohibited (43 CFR 8361.1-6).

Camping is allowed anywhere within the riding area as long as it does not block travel on a road, and is limited to a 14-day stay.

Shooting is not permitted within this area.

Draining of sewage tanks, littering, or dumping of trash is prohibited.

Do not burn pallets or wood with nails!