Posi rear end for my S-10

ltr450rider

If it's an GM 8.5 inch I think ARB makes a air locker kit.

Or you could just weld the spider gears together and make it a permanent locker, thats kinda gorilla though, but it depends on what you want to do witht the truck

I think they only put the 8.5" in the ZR2 model. I think it was the 8.5. Hell, it's been a while since I've done diffs at Chevy. :blink:

I'll see if I could find out for sure. :DDRrocks:

I dont really care how it can be done. The cheaper the better. :DDRrocks:

If all I have to do is weld the spider gears, that seams like the cheapest way.

I just want it to hold up. It's my daily driver.

All I need it to do is get me through the soft stuff. It's a b*tch with only one wheel spinning sometimes.

When I buy a new daily driver, I'm going to pre-run the hell out it. Long travel, V-8, take off fenders and bed, roll cage and what not.

I dont really care how it can be done. The cheaper the better. :blink:

If all I have to do is weld the spider gears, that seams like the cheapest way.

I just want it to hold up. It's my daily driver.

All I need it to do is get me through the soft stuff. It's a b*tch with only one wheel spinning sometimes.

When I buy a new daily driver, I'm going to pre-run the hell out it. Long travel, V-8, take off fenders and bed, roll cage and what not.

:idea: I highly recommend AGAINST welding the spider gears if it is your daily driver. That will put an enormous amount of stress on the drivetrain, tires, etc. Not to mention it will be a b*tch to park the freakin thing or drive it in the rain.

Is it a 4 cylinder? If so a posi might bog that thing down. :DDRrocks:

Seriously though, just swap out the carrier with a posi unit from a Z28. That is the cheapest and smartest way to do it unless you can get a hold of an aftermarket one for cheap.

Yeah I would rather do it right and thats what I have been looking at doing. I'm not real worried with how it will handle on the street as long as it will help me offroad.

It's the 4.3 6 cylinder. They do have a few models that came stock with posi but are hard to find I guess.

I just have to hit the junkyard and see what I can find.

If anyone knows where I can get one, I'll take any information you got.

Thanks for all the info guys. Every bit helps.

Yeah I would rather do it right and thats what I have been looking at doing. I'm not real worried with how it will handle on the street as long as it will help me offroad.

It's the 4.3 6 cylinder. They do have a few models that came stock with posi but are hard to find I guess.

I just have to hit the junkyard and see what I can find.

If anyone knows where I can get one, I'll take any information you got.

Thanks for all the info guys. Every bit helps.

dont pre-run a s-10 out...trus me i own one

I believe the axle code is G80 or is that the model of locker in the rear... s10forums.com go there they will tell you LOL.

I agree with fctryblack though.. pre-running a s10 is like trying to polish a turd... the suspension geometry is waaaay wrong to be able to do anythign decent with it... along with their sh*tty balljoints and other parts you would have to dump a sh*tload of money into it to make it decent... Your better off buying a ranger and throwing some f-150 i beams under there and calling it done for a fraction of the cost..

Just my 2 cents..

As far as not getting stuck.. Just drive faster :D

I believe the axle code is G80 or is that the model of locker in the rear... s10forums.com go there they will tell you LOL.

I agree with fctryblack though.. pre-running a s10 is like trying to polish a turd... the suspension geometry is waaaay wrong to be able to do anythign decent with it... along with their sh*tty balljoints and other parts you would have to dump a sh*tload of money into it to make it decent... Your better off buying a ranger and throwing some f-150 i beams under there and calling it done for a fraction of the cost..

Just my 2 cents..

As far as not getting stuck.. Just drive faster :D

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to tell me to go ford. NEVER!

Yes, they do have better suspension.

I plan on driving my truck untill it's not even worth selling it. So why not just make it a project truck and have a fun toy to play around with.

That's my plan and I'm stickin to it.

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to tell me to go ford. NEVER!

Yes, they do have better suspension.

I plan on driving my truck untill it's not even worth selling it. So why not just make it a project truck and have a fun toy to play around with.

That's my plan and I'm stickin to it.

Yeah but you want to make it a project truck, not a money pit. :blury::MBdance::coocoo::think:

Just messin with ya man :laughing:

Yeah but you want to make it a project truck, not a money pit. :blury::MBdance::coocoo::think:

Just messin with ya man :laughing:

ltr450whatever.. homie has a point... yes a play truck is just that.. but if you were serious which i had no idea if you were or not about actually wanting to PRE-RUN your s10 there are way better options... IE the Ranger.. cheap easy to build and tons of parts around.. as well as better travel... but if you just want to throw a fabtec lift on it and beat it up at the hill with a set of paddles and a ls1 crammed in there.. be my guest.. its not my kindeys that are gonna take the beating..

ltr450whatever.. homie has a point... yes a play truck is just that.. but if you were serious which i had no idea if you were or not about actually wanting to PRE-RUN your s10 there are way better options... IE the Ranger.. cheap easy to build and tons of parts around.. as well as better travel... but if you just want to throw a fagtech lift on it and beat it up at the hill with a set of paddles and a ls1 crammed in there.. be my guest.. its not my kindeys that are gonna take the beating..

well said

dont pre-run a s-10 out...trus me i own one

:dope:

Yeah but you want to make it a project truck, not a money pit. :lol::lol::lol::clap:

Just messin with ya man :freakin_nuts:

It IS a money pit....we just went through this trying to make the s-10 safe again for driving, and that was after cranking the torsions to fit larger tires under there. I personally wouldn't do it. I think you're starting out with the wrong "foundation" to build something dependable and trustworthy on......especially if you want more travel. Keep your daily driver dependable and you'll be happy you did. :assblast:

ltr450whatever.. homie has a point... yes a play truck is just that.. but if you were serious which i had no idea if you were or not about actually wanting to PRE-RUN your s10 there are way better options... IE the Ranger.. cheap easy to build and tons of parts around.. as well as better travel... but if you just want to throw a fabtec lift on it and beat it up at the hill with a set of paddles and a ls1 crammed in there.. be my guest.. its not my kindeys that are gonna take the beating..

That's the plan. Short of the LS1.

Like I said, it's going to be a toy, not a race truck, or a money pit.

I'm willing to put enough money into it to have fun with.

All I wanted to know is what is the easiest way to make it posi so it's easier to drive in the sand.

until you decide to turn it into a play truck and not a daily driver... get a new rear end... grab the entire axle out of a ZR2 s10 blazer or highrider GMC.. look for the G80 Axle code in the glove box.. Short of that your talking custom work and with the ZR2 axles you might have to relocate the spring perch's on the axles...

ONCE its becomes a full time i dont give a fk truck and you want to do it stupid cheap and trailer it to and from dumont.. weld the spiders. :D

until you decide to turn it into a play truck and not a daily driver... get a new rear end... grab the entire axle out of a ZR2 s10 blazer or highrider GMC.. look for the G80 Axle code in the glove box.. Short of that your talking custom work and with the ZR2 axles you might have to relocate the spring perch's on the axles...

Why do all that? Just change the carrier out with a posi unit. :dope:

but arent the g80's 8.5" if thats the case hes gonna need a new housing unless he plans on spending money on an aftermarket piece?

He shouldn't need a whole new or different housing if all he wants is a posi unit. The Z28's have 7.5" rear ends...and so do the S10's (the standard S10s, not ZR2 models). All you have to do is swap out the stock open end carrier from the S10 with a posi unit out of a Z28 posi rear end and then check and adjust your backlash and check your gear pattern to make sure it is the same or close to before.

I am not sure wtf that RPO code is exactly. I'd have to look that up.

• 2 weeks later...

G80 is the locker that GM stuffs in their diffs anymore.. the ZR2's came with them... now that i think about it.. its not a posi its a locker doh.. shows how mechanically inclined i am.. my bad carry on

G80 is the locker that GM stuffs in their diffs anymore.. the ZR2's came with them... now that i think about it.. its not a posi its a locker doh.. shows how mechanically inclined i am.. my bad carry on

I know that. I meant that the G80 RPO code might only fit certain housings. Yes it is a locker, but it is also a posi. You were right. Locker, posi...whatever. lol It has a locker mechanism and clutches so it kinda works like both. :D