Just picked up the new rail

dunefreak

While I completely believe that Yoshi has done his homework with his cars, it doesn't mean that his cars are the only cars out that are setup correctly and work. To tell you the truth (other than his older prototype car) I haven't even seen one drive yet, so I have nothing to go off of other than his posts on GD and DDR.

Like I said, talk to Larry Short and he could probably go into all the same details about wheel travel and how his cars are setup.

No offense Yoshi and I don't mean to talk crap at all about you or your cars, but all I know is that my rail handles EXTREMELY well and sure feels like 18 inches of rear travel. I know for a fact that as hard as I have ever G'd out this or my last car, the frame has never bottomed out. The sprocket has barely brushed the sand, but thats about it. This car is setup damn well in my opinion.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I completely believe that Yoshi has done his homework with his cars, it doesn't mean that his cars are the only cars out that are setup correctly and work. To tell you the truth (other than his older prototype car) I haven't even seen one drive yet, so I have nothing to go off of other than his posts on GD and DDR.

Like I said, talk to Larry Short and he could probably go into all the same details about wheel travel and how his cars are setup.

No offense Yoshi and I don't mean to talk crap at all about you or your cars, but all I know is that my rail handles EXTREMELY well and sure feels like 18 inches of rear travel. I know for a fact that as hard as I have ever G'd out this or my last car, the frame has never bottomed out. The sprocket has barely brushed the sand, but thats about it. This car is setup damn well in my opinion.

I'm not saying Larry is making stuff up, I didn't mean to imply that, I was just curious where the number starts from, and how much, if any, ground clearance there is under the frame at full bump. The sprocket appears to hang down quite a few inches below the chassis, so I would assume that the sprocket hits the sand sometimes (not that it matters as long as the chain doesn't have wax or lube on it, you should use dry lube or nothing at all). You have a lighter rail, so you prob. don't need as much ground clearance at full bump. It doesn't really matter, as long as it rides good. 16" of properly setup, usable travel, is better than 24" of improperly setup travel...

And you'll get to see my new rail at the dunes before to long, besides the Federal car nearing completion, I have a full roller shipping out to your area on Fri, and it will be completed fairly quick when he gets it, so i'm sure he will be more tha happy to show it off, and give some rides to people interested.

So you got to see my old model in the dunes? What did you think about it? The only difference (handling wise) in the new rail, is a better weight distribution, more travel, more ground clearance, bigger front tires, the option for coils vs airshocks, and double bypass shocks all the way around. I think you will be impressed with what you see and how it handles if you get to go for a ride.

Not talking bad about the short stuff, I build a different class of car that is obviously more expensive, it's not gonna be in everyone budget, and I get the whole "I haven't been in the game as long as others" mentality that some people have, which is why i'm sure you went with short, they've been around for years and you've had a great experience with them, so you stick with what you know and trust.

But at least i'm cheaper than king and Tom Pro. And the reason I say i'm cheaper, even though my base is 2k more than their base, is because I have a 4k reverse diff, as well as some other stuff, standard on my rail, so if you upgrade to the same unit with them, (which most people want) than I am cheaper, ain't that something, lol....

Edited by Yoshi

I'm not saying Larry is making stuff up, I didn't mean to imply that, I was just curious where the number starts from, and how much, if any, ground clearance there is under the frame at full bump. The sprocket appears to hang down quite a few inches below the chassis, so I would assume that the sprocket hits the sand sometimes (not that it matters as long as the chain doesn't have wax or lube on it, you should use dry lube or nothing at all). You have a lighter rail, so you prob. don't need as much ground clearance at full bump. It doesn't really matter, as long as it rides good. 16" of properly setup, usable travel, is better than 24" of improperly setup travel...

And you'll get to see my new rail at the dunes before to long, besides the Federal car nearing completion, I have a full roller shipping out to your area on Fri, and it will be completed fairly quick when he gets it, so i'm sure he will be more tha happy to show it off, and give some rides to people interested.

So you got to see my old model in the dunes? What did you think about it? The only difference (handling wise) in the new rail, is a better weight distribution, more travel, more ground clearance, bigger front tires, the option for coils vs airshocks, and double bypass shocks all the way around. I think you will be impressed with what you see and how it handles if you get to go for a ride.

Not talking bad about the short stuff, I build a different class of car that is obviously more expensive, it's not gonna be in everyone budget, and I get the whole "I haven't been in the game as long as others" mentality that some people have, which is why i'm sure you went with short, they've been around for years and you've had a great experience with them, so you stick with what you know and trust.

But at least i'm cheaper than king and Tom Pro. And the reason I say i'm cheaper, even though my base is 2k more than their base, is because I have a 4k reverse diff, as well as some other stuff, standard on my rail, so if you upgrade to the same unit with them, (which most people want) than I am cheaper, ain't that something, lol....

:blury: wow, I swear this topic was about my car wasn't it? Maybe I'm wrong. :laughoff:

When I saw one of your cars out at D it was just putting through the whoops. He wasn't doing anything crazy so I can't really say how it did.

Anyways, enough about your "different class of sandcar" (as if there were classes to begin with :clap: ). Back to the topic here....SHORT SAND CAR! :news: :beer_bang: :idiot:

I'm thinking about taking it out in a couple weeks to D for an early AM run to test her out along with some other buggies. I should be getting plenty of pics and maybe some video too hopefully.

:blury: wow, I swear this topic was about my car wasn't it? Maybe I'm wrong. :laughoff:

When I saw one of your cars out at D it was just putting through the whoops. He wasn't doing anything crazy so I can't really say how it did.

Anyways, enough about your "different class of sandcar" (as if there were classes to begin with :clap: ). Back to the topic here....SHORT SAND CAR! :news: :beer_bang: :idiot:

I'm thinking about taking it out in a couple weeks to D for an early AM run to test her out along with some other buggies. I should be getting plenty of pics and maybe some video too hopefully.

sorry bout that, just replying to some comments you and some others made about my rail, didn't mean to come across all sales pitchy, lol....

sorry bout that, just replying to some comments you and some others made about my rail, didn't mean to come across all sales pitchy, lol....

No sweat. :beer_bang: I just had to give you crap. I hope to someday be able to go on a run w/ someone that has one of your cars. :laughoff: Other than a certain group of Funco guys, I haven't seen many people that do fast paced buggy runs like some of the peeps I dune with. So it would be interesting to see how your car does. :D

No sweat. :beer_bang: I just had to give you crap. I hope to someday be able to go on a run w/ someone that has one of your cars. :laughoff: Other than a certain group of Funco guys, I haven't seen many people that do fast paced buggy runs like some of the peeps I dune with. So it would be interesting to see how your car does. :D

WOOHOO!!!!! :idiot: