whats the best chain for the price

lakecitydan

In my opinion.. and from personal experience.

RK 520XSO

This chain has lasted 2 seasons on my 426 when i had it with only one stretch.. and on my cr500 for a complete season with only the initial stretch...the chain is still on the 500 and holding up good. only had that bike this past season so ill letcha know how it goes into next season :P IMO they are tough chains and last a long time when taken care of.

i had to replace my chain and sprocket on my bike

i donno how it goes on quads but normally on bikes if u change the chain u wanna change the sprockets as well

i bought the renthal sprockets with the DID gold chain for $170

only had em out for like 4 trips...seems to be holding up

bikes009.jpg

this is my old one

i dont know much about the sprockets and chains

and im sure u dont wanna be spendin alot

look online at the reviews that people give em

and hear what some of the people say on this site

aluminum sprockets dont hold up fer chit in the sand... if you want a sprocket and chain setup that will last get some good STEEL sprockets and a good O Ring or X ring chain. :D

sorry bout that

i actually bought the renthal r1 520 gold chain

and i got the aluminum renthal back sprocket

wut isbb said may be true about aluminum sprockets

i donno yet cuz ive only been out a few times on it...no wear yet...not even on the paint

but we'll see next season

ive also heard good things about the o-ring chains

not much stretch on em which is what u want

just wut ive heard

dont own one...just read about em and heard about em from other people

is this thread gonna go the direction of the paddle tires thread??? :lol:

:lol:

no it isnt cuz i havent had much experience with different chains

i do know this

the last guy who had the bike before me...changed the rear sprocket out only

the chain stretched out after every ride....and the sprocket was done by new years

but i gave my review on the renthal chain and sprockets

been good so far...only had it out for like 4-5 trips with no stretch or wear in the sprocket

there are other ones as well which will do the job just as good

this chain and sprocket set is not the best and it isnt the worst

there...no one can argue with that right?? :lol:

cheers and peace :slap::lol:

Ive seen an aluminum sprocket wasted after 1 good weekend of dune riding... ask wingnut.. Happened on his crf450. I have always bought JT or sunstar steel sprockets and they always seem to outlast the chain or are good for a couple seasons at least.

Im also a believer in a drier/non lubed chain is better in the sand than a lubed one that catch's all the sand.. I usually only put a real LIGHT goat of the maxima chain lube in the gold can on my chain and wipe off the excess and let sit over night to dry.. I dont have any sand stickage the chain lasts forever and my sprockets dont wear.

Just my 2 cents

Ive seen an aluminum sprocket wasted after 1 good weekend of dune riding... ask wingnut.. Happened on his crf450. I have always bought JT or sunstar steel sprockets and they always seem to outlast the chain or are good for a couple seasons at least.

i guess its the luck of the draw

sometimes ull get good ones and sometimes ull get crap ones

if u only change the sprocket out and nothing else then yeah it will wear away

my last renthall sprocket was aluminum and it went out like crazy cuz the chain and front sprocket wasnt changed either

i think it was the 4th trip out on my old one

but on the last ride of new years i tightened the chain up a bunch to keep it from draggin

the teeth were all still on the sprocket...i thought it would last another couple rides

that last ride just did it in....the final product is the picture u see above

i need someone to explain this to me

alot of the sprockets ive looked at say light weight

how would the weight on a sprocket matter on a 300-500 lb bike

i wouldnt mind a heavy one as long as it held up but wuts the difference?

my last renthall sprocket was aluminum and it went out like crazy cuz the chain and front sprocket wasnt changed either

but on the last ride of new years i tightened the chain up a bunch to keep it from draggin

the teeth were all still on the sprocket...i thought it would last another couple rides

If you go with a steel you won't be able to jump as high :beer_bang: :laughoff:

Unless your some superstar motocross racer guy you will never tell or feel a diffrence in the power or weight between aluminum and steel. Ironman sprockets are garunteed to never wear drop 100 bucks on one and be done with it :D Sidewinders are excellent as well... Also i changed gearing mid season and my 45t sprocket was perfectly fine after running 2 diffrent chains on it and the new chain was never affected before or after the swap.. same with the front i changed it out as well a few trips later just trying new combo's.. Not one issue.. Ill gladly replace 2 or 3 steel sprockets vs buying one of those overpriced hunks of aluminum IE renthall that will wear in one or 2 weekends of riding. Again its a matter of opinion only. Steel works for me.

Unless your some superstar motocross racer guy you will never tell or feel a diffrence in the power or weight between aluminum and steel. Ironman sprockets are garunteed to never wear drop 100 bucks on one and be done with it :D Sidewinders are excellent as well... Also i changed gearing mid season and my 45t sprocket was perfectly fine after running 2 diffrent chains on it and the new chain was never affected before or after the swap.. same with the front i changed it out as well a few trips later just trying new combo's.. Not one issue.. Ill gladly replace 2 or 3 steel sprockets vs buying one of those overpriced hunks of aluminum IE renthall that will wear in one or 2 weekends of riding. Again its a matter of opinion only. Steel works for me.

dayumn dude

well if it works for u then awesome :dunno:

knowin me...id probably try that...screw up...and the whole set up would be done

ill let u know how well my chain and sprocket are doin at the end of next season

i donno wuts gonna happen but we'll see...if it breaks down ill go to steel

a buddy of mine knows jim holly and he said he could get me some for cheap

we'll see how long this one lasts