Propane Conversion On A Sand Rail

JD....

Hey people. I just did a propane conversion on an older play-tech sand car that a customer brought to our shop. I thought that I would share this with you as I believe it may help people with bad running carb setups and also eliminate some of the gas hazards. The system is real easy to install and makes real good power. I will have a video from the dunes real soon but you can hear it running in this little video that we shot. This system is mounted on a 215 Buick V8 making about 300 HP. Other than the mounting of the tanks, the kit can just bolt on. It will also run a turbo system with no problem. The octane level is about 115 and it allows you to advance your timing making good power with no detonation. One of the safety features is that it will not spill in a roll over and if you are in a steep climb it will not flood. It has a very low stall rate compared to gas and if you buy from a propane company such as pro flame it runs about $3.50 a gal. compared to the high cost of race gas. Here are some pics of the install and a short vid.

Video

post-3895-1214359501_thumb.jpg

post-3895-1214359517_thumb.jpg

post-3895-1214359539_thumb.jpg

post-3895-1214359563_thumb.jpg

post-3895-1214359581_thumb.jpg

post-3895-1214359597_thumb.jpg

post-3895-1214359611_thumb.jpg

Good job JD. :broke:

Man, That sucker sounds RIPE! :thumb:

Not looking to convert, but how's the mileage in comparison to race gas? :assblast:

Thanks for sharing. :peek:

R-

Oh yeah, keep the flexible whip. :idea: just sayin'

Good job JD. :idea:

Man, That sucker sounds RIPE! :thumb:

Not looking to convert, but how's the mileage in comparison to race gas? :broke:

Thanks for sharing. :peek:

R-

Oh yeah, keep the flexible whip. :MBdance: just sayin'

Thanks, it's about the same on milage. The cool thing is that I'll be adding a small BBQ to the car for burgers and beer stops. :assblast:

I was laughing when he pulled it in the trailer. Had to back out and pull the whip pin..

Edited by JD....

Thanks, it's about the same on milage. The cool thing is that I'll be adding a small BBQ to the car for burgers and beer stops. :assblast:

I was laughing when he pulled it in the trailer. Had to back out and pull the whip pin..

Now THATS what I'm talkin about! :thumb: :peek: :broke:

• 3 weeks later...

Heres the deal, being the proud owner of that car I couldnt have taken it to a more knowledgable crew, As for the little "problems" that you guys are pointing out....They will be addressed, See you at COMP hill (when it is a little cooler . As for the performance of this car. Cant wait to see what it can really do. Looks like Halloween is the big weekend/T.

Heres the deal, being the proud owner of that car I couldnt have taken it to a more knowledgable crew, As for the little "problems" that you guys are pointing out....They will be addressed, See you at COMP hill (when it is a little cooler . As for the performance of this car. Cant wait to see what it can really do. Looks like Halloween is the big weekend/T.

It's cool to have something different from everyone else. Hope it runs as good or better than you guys expect. :beat: See you out there. :MBdance: