Rack and Pinion Steering

SandBox_Kid

I am looking into going with a rack and pinion steering with the standard travel beam rail. I am tired of having killer steering in one direction only and the tie rods hitting the webbing in the frame.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Manufacturer choice? Warnings? Help a new guy out with some experience......

Edited by cmyfirepole

Hey Gerold,

Hmmm. I had no probs with my turning of my SS4.

I'm sure its hitting on the upright tube. Right?

I'm thinking maybe some adjustments:

Possibly different length tie rods, which would move the box position.

Turning the box on the tube for best angle.

Evaluate spindle pitman arm for straightness. Has anyone EVER seen a straight VW arm?

or some thing like that.

Maybe you tried all your options.

Can you send some pics of the front end?

I can't say that a rack and pinnion would do the trick for you.

R-

It's hitting the vertical tube (at the red arrow) in the middle of the tube, and on the tie rod (at the green arrow). Both are getting bent up fairly good on both sides. The tie rod is fairly centered going through the webbing. I could rotate the box up some, but I don't see how that will help.....and since both sides are hitting I don't think moving the box horizontally would help either.....but you could be seeing something that this newbie is missing.... :beercheers:

I don't have a better picture with me at this time......what kind of picture angle are you looking for?

post-475-1145646274_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmyfirepole

If you look in any Sand Sports or Hot VW mag at a Pacific Customs ad you can get a billet rack mount for a beam front end and a sand car light weight rack. They probably have everything else you need to do the job if you give them a call. You can also try Moore's. Both companies usually have good and friendly sales people to help you out.

Gerold,

I've never done what 'sanddunesaddict' did, but it does make sense.

Hope it wouldn't soften the casting.

This may be hokey, but I've seen what is called a quick steer tab that bolts to the box arm.

It extends the rod ends about 2" for more throw. It would also help get the rods a bit away from the frame.

Just a thought, I don't know if that's what I would do though.

If you get a rack&pinnion set-up, Be sure it's going to solve this issue.

It would have to be set back from the front tubes a way to clear.

R-

You could have the fab shop that adds the cross bars into your car this summer, cut out the existing tubes and relocate new ones a bit more forward. Just make sure they bolt on the front beams on before they tack the verticals for proper spacing.

R-

Gerold,

I've never done what 'sanddunesaddict' did, but it does make sense.

Hope it wouldn't soften the casting.

This may be hokey, but I've seen what is called a quick steer tab that bolts to the box arm.

It extends the rod ends about 2" for more throw. It would also help get the rods a bit away from the frame.

Just a thought, I don't know if that's what I would do though.

If you get a rack&pinnion set-up, Be sure it's going to solve this issue.

It would have to be set back from the front tubes a way to clear.

R-

Well the "original" spindles my dad used when he built it where that way and I didnt break one untill about 4 years ago.Installed another junk yard spindle bent it and works great today.

I wouldnt do it on a race car because of the abuse.But it works fine on a sand car.

Yes.

Call me and I'll explain it better.

I left you a voice mail.

I left you a voice mail at the number you left me.

I'm pretty sure I understand what your talkin' about. Post a pic if you can.

Edited by cmyfirepole