Friday Night Plane Crash

dunefreak

I just read this on GD. :(

I'm not much of a Blink 182 fan, but Travis Barker is also the drummer of one of my favorite bands, The Transplants. I hope he is ok. I'm not quite sure the extent of his injuries. It only says critical condition. :banghead: :praying:

RIP to those who lost their lives. Very sad.

WEST COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Hours after performing for thousands of South Carolina college students, former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and celebrity DJ AM were critically injured in a fiery Learjet crash that killed four people, authorities said Saturday.

Officials said the plane carrying six people was departing shortly before midnight Friday when air traffic controllers reporting seeing sparks. The plane hurtled off the end of a runway and crashed through antennas and a fence. It came to rest on an embankment across a five-lane highway and was engulfed in flames, said Debbie Hersman, a member of the National Transportation Safety Board.

Barker and DJ AM, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, were in critical condition at a burn center in Augusta, Ga., about 75 miles southwest of Columbia, hospital spokeswoman Beth Frits said.

Two other passengers — Chris Baker, 29, of Studio City, Calif., and Charles Still, 25, of Los Angeles — died, as did pilot Sarah Lemmon, 31, of Anaheim Hills, Calif., and co-pilot James Bland, 52, of Carlsbad, according to the county coroner. Baker was an assistant to Barker and Still was a security guard for the musician.

The plane was headed for Van Nuys, Calif. It is owned by Global Exec Aviation, a California-based charter company, and was certified to operate last year, Hersman said. The company said it had no immediate comment.

At the crash site Saturday, the air was still heavy with the odor of jet fuel. A trail of black soot led off a runway. The nose of the aircraft was gone and the roof was missing from two-thirds of the charred plane.

"It's absolutely terrible and tragic," Columbia Mayor Bob Coble said.

Barker and Goldstein had performed together under the name TRVSDJ-AM at a free concert in Columbia on Friday night. Event sponsor T-Mobile said their hourlong set ended at about 7:15 p.m.

The show, which included performances by former Jane's Addiction singer Perry Farrell and singer Gavin DeGraw, drew 10,000 people into the streets of Five Points, the neighborhood near the University of South Carolina, Coble said.

Peter Kastis, Farrell's manager, said he and Farrell didn't find out about the crash until they arrived at the airport Saturday morning to find it closed.

"I just hugged them hello less than 24 hours ago. I wish I could hug them now," Kastis said.

Heres an update I just found. Terrible tragedy.

TMZ has learned Travis Barker has been burned from the waist down, but he is expected to survive the plane crash. DJ AM's face was severely burned and is being tended to right now.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those familys of those who lost their lives. And also to Travis and DJ AM family. Pray for a full recovery for both of them.

Both DJ AM and Travis Barker are at the burn center in Augusta, GA (My home town). That facility is one of the top burn centers in the south east. My heart goes out to all affected.

I just found out this afternoon, that the copilot of the airplane was one of my former coworkers and a friend. His name is Jim Bland. And he was a fantastic guy. Knowing Jim for several years, I can say without a doubt pilot error was not a factor in this accident.

I just found out this afternoon, that the copilot of the airplane was one of my former coworkers and a friend. His name is Jim Bland. And he was a fantastic guy. Knowing Jim for several years, I can say without a doubt pilot error was not a factor in this accident.

That really sucks Tim. Again, so sorry to hear you lose a friend. :(

Rest in peace, Jim.