train horn

tkriley

so after reading about train horns @ comp over t-day weekend :old::old: .I started thinking I should get serious about installing mine on my truck.I have been wanting to get air bags for when i`m in tow.but my question is i`m sure they have some type of air tank & air compressor.but will that tank have enough air to make it go off?

cause in my garage i have a 60 gallon air compressor & at 160 p.s.i it will make it work all the way down to about 120 p.s.i ...i was thinking i could get air tank from auto zone to hold enough air volume?

i just dont want to spend all day working on something that i dont really know if it will work.

so have any of you guys done something like this to your rides? cause i think it would be great when some jack hole cuts you off when your towing or when they try to squeeze between you and a curb on a tight corner. :grin::finger:

oh and i guess at 1:00 to 3:00am when we have been drinking to much around the camp fire. :grin::whistle:

thanks for the help guys

funny you should ask. i am in the middle of installing my on board air system.

i first bought the firestone airbags, teed them off at the hitch for the air valve. I was showing a fellow d max owner at my work the setup, who just happens to be a big lowrider and air suspension guy. he had a firestone compressor and a dual gauge he didnt want any more, so i gladly took them off of his hands.

i found a 3 gallon aluminum tank on ebay. it was :whistle: gold, but it was 30 dollars, free shipping. 4 ports 2 1/4 inch and 2 3/8 inch . i have now got that mounted on my truck where the spare tire used to go.

i just spent about 35 dollars @ airbagit.com (same place i got my tank from) to get DOT airline, 1/4 and 3/8 elbows, a relay, 110/135 pressure switch and some plugs for the ports i wont be using right now.

as of now, i will soon be running off of 1 1/4 port and one side of my gauge, my airbags. i will be able to fill them up, air them down from the cab. from 1 3/8 port, i will be running on board air that is teed off with quick connects to the left and right side rear axle and one at the back on the bumper

in the future, i plan on getting some air horns. there are all kinds that operate on anywhere from 100psi all the way up to 200psi....getting to 200psi is pretty spendy though.....as people use dual compressors to achieve quick quick air replenishment.

this has been awhile in the making. i asked the guy tons of questions, got a schematic from him on how to hook everything up, spent some time under my truck looking at where everything was going to go, etc etc. it should be an interesting weekend this coming weekend :grin:

I run dual viair compressors with a 10 gallon tank mounted under the bed of my truck. I am running 5/8 ports with 5/8 valve. I am running a 200 psi system. this is also connected to my airbags with a split dual gauge in the cab. I am also running a quick disconnect next to my license plate on the rear bumber for air needs.

I run dual viair compressors with a 10 gallon tank mounted under the bed of my truck. I am running 5/8 ports with 5/8 valve. I am running a 200 psi system. this is also connected to my airbags with a split dual gauge in the cab. I am also running a quick disconnect next to my license plate on the rear bumber for air needs.

:ah:

can you air up your truck tires with that??? how much time does it take??

nice!!

:ah:

can you air up your truck tires with that??? how much time does it take??

preety quick my buddy has two 5 gallon tanks on his bagged mini with a quick disconnect...just make sure your tanks are full and your good to go

for 35 in tires??

i have no clue should depend on what size tanks how many compressors are you running depends on how fast your tank/tanks will fill im sure its not that bad then those stupid 75 cents air machines at the gas stations, you can also call some companies talk with them or ogp..the guy with mini has a tire gun and has swaped rims before on his truck with both 5 gallon tanks filled

Edited by fctryblack84

i just put the air system on my gmc truck i put the viair 420 pump 5 gallon tank and im doing full air bags in the back with custom munts and i put train horns on mine. to answer your question about how long it takes it takes no time at all my tank is a max of 145 and the pump turns on at 110psi but if you are looking for a sweet deal i can get you a price on everyhting i work and a truck customizing shop. we have done a bunch of these so any questios just ask me

i just put the air system on my gmc truck i put the viair 420 pump 5 gallon tank and im doing full air bags in the back with custom munts and i put train horns on mine. to answer your question about how long it takes it takes no time at all my tank is a max of 145 and the pump turns on at 110psi but if you are looking for a sweet deal i can get you a price on everyhting i work and a truck customizing shop. we have done a bunch of these so any questios just ask me

can you get the pull chain type drains in 1/4 npt??

also, i was thinking of adding a valve to the bottom drain and running a button into the cab so i can drain the tank from inside the cab....would that work??

can you get the pull chain type drains in 1/4 npt??

also, i was thinking of adding a valve to the bottom drain and running a button into the cab so i can drain the tank from inside the cab....would that work??

yea you run a valve to one of the ports and wire it to a single switch like you were saying but you would or might have to have a to find a way to kill your compressor cause the pressure switch will turn it on i think when it drops to a certain point :dunno: ..correct me if im wrong dune racer or anyone else just trying to help

Edited by fctryblack84

you can get the 7 gallon tank with a 8 port and there are 4 ports on the bottom and 2 on each side so you would jst run a screw type valve and when you wanted to drain it you would unscrew. if you put another valve for that it would kinda be a waist of money. but when you drain it the compressor will come on unless you wire the pressure switch to a switched 12volt. i have mine so when your key is on the compressor kicks on if the pressure is low. also the pull type chain you would have to make but would be easy. i have mine on push button. i will be out new years if any of you want to check it out and if you need prices i can get them for you and our shop does install

you can get the 7 gallon tank with a 8 port and there are 4 ports on the bottom and 2 on each side so you would jst run a screw type valve and when you wanted to drain it you would unscrew. if you put another valve for that it would kinda be a waist of money. but when you drain it the compressor will come on unless you wire the pressure switch to a switched 12volt. i have mine so when your key is on the compressor kicks on if the pressure is low. also the pull type chain you would have to make but would be easy. i have mine on push button. i will be out new years if any of you want to check it out and if you need prices i can get them for you and our shop does install

Lets see so pic's that would be helpfull.. So tkriley can install it and just piss off his neighbors, even more than he does already :laughing:Between the drag boat and the sand car..I heard this thing go off in his garadge and I was like, what the fk :ah: :dunno: :no_no:

Edited by ltr450

im thinkin im gonna run a switch between the keyed wire and the relay, so i can turn it off, and drain it via the valve on ANOTHER switch inside the cab

:beercheers:

dammit, what was supposed to be just air bags is turning into a fuggin vision quest

:beercheers:

who cares just do it :B