E-mailed King and Fox

sandawg

Any suggestions for raising the car a couple of inches and improving the ride with a different set up. 13 inches now on front and 16 inches on rear for shock length with car up on stands. Set up stinks with hard ride and no travel. Car should have 8 inches according to hi jumper. Car is very light 800#s and 1,000#s with me in it!

Thanks

Edited by SANDAWG

its a swing axle its gonna be a kidney jarring ride regardless of what you put on there..

I know, I had the exact same thing on my first swing axle but I know with todays technology with shockss there is a better set up! The front needs help. :grin:

I had KYB shocks and Eiboch springs in the rear of my car and loved the ride they gave me. The springs were progressive.

In the front you might want to check how much nitrogen you have in them and see what rate springs you have. Softening one of them should help out the ride quality. The ride heigth is going to be hard to change without effecting the camber of the tires.

I had KYB shocks and Eiboch springs in the rear of my car and loved the ride they gave me. The springs were progressive.

In the front you might want to check how much nitrogen you have in them and see what rate springs you have. Softening one of them should help out the ride quality. The ride heigth is going to be hard to change without effecting the camber of the tires.

Cool on the kby and progressive springs, got a source for that??? I want the car to sit a little higher and work the suspenssion and can live with the camber. I like to trail ride and want the travel. who steers anyway, I use the cutting brake!!! I have adjusted the nitrogen up and down but the sh*t that is on there now just doesn't cut it. :lol::idiot:

Edited by SANDAWG

No I don't have a source anymore sorry. I am sure they were KYB's but I might be wrong. Either way it was a coilover shock and the right springs for the weight of the car made all the difference in the world.

No I don't have a source anymore sorry. I am sure they were KYB's but I might be wrong. Either way it was a coilover shock and the right springs for the weight of the car made all the difference in the world.

I went down town today and talked tomy guy at Butches and he showed me some Fox shocks that we can put the right spring rate on and it looks like a good combo for the rear. About $700 for both for the rear for reservoir Fox. Looks like what you had!

The fronts are a different deal, much harder to get the right combo!

I think I paid about $600 for my set. I had a hard time paying that much for a set of shocks back then but when I hit the sand it was the best money I spent. A smooth ride makes you much more comfortable and you enjoy it that much more.

I have the exact same suspension set-up on my buggie. If you lift the front up too much, the wheels tip in and make it hard as hell to steer. I put marvin shaws on mine and you can play with the nitrogen pressure. Going to be rough any way. Swing axles don't get any better either. :offtopic:

I have the exact same suspension set-up on my buggie. If you lift the front up too much, the wheels tip in and make it hard as hell to steer. I put marvin shaws on mine and you can play with the nitrogen pressure. Going to be rough any way. Swing axles don't get any better either. :unsure:

I agree it will be difficukt to make it ride better but with the new technology in shocks and springs in the last few years there will be something out there. I just need to find it! In the meantime I wear my old delapidated kidney belt. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Widen the front beam and lengthen the trailing arms, you then can go with a fox 2.5 coil over with remote res. and you'll get 12-16" of travel, and its smooth. In the back swap out the tranny and then get the coil over conversion. Dump the torsions. Pacific customs in Cali. you pretty much get everything overnight since they are close, they are cheaper than most and dont mind taking the time to answer questions over the phone. Also Summit racing for springs and such QA1 springs are about half the price of ebaich and just as good.

• 3 weeks later...