Dumont has large LEO group?

I saw this, and thought, there are times i'm out there, and i dont even see a ranger

Sheriff’s new vehicles to patrol Lenwood for off-road riders

By CHARLES NGUYEN, staff writer

March 3, 2009 - 3:50PM

BARSTOW • The Barstow Sheriff’s Station is requesting almost twice as much in state funding this year for its Off-Highway Vehicle Team, which is using last year’s grant money to start increased patrols of the Lenwood and Grandview areas.

Two deputies have just finished motorcycle training, according to Sgt. Robbie Ciolli, and will start using two newly purchased dual-sport motorcycles to respond to incidents involving off-road riders trespassing onto private property in the Lenwood and Grandview neighborhoods.

“Most of the calls for service [in Lenwood] are from private property owners reporting riders in places they shouldn’t be,” he said. “We’re trying to clamp down on that.”

The motorcycles were bought using a part of about $97,000 in grant funds for its Off-Highway Vehicle Team from last year; this year, the station’s newly submitted proposal requests $180,466 from the same grant, almost twice as much as last year.

“This year is a larger figure because we’re out of funds from last year's grant,” said Ciolli, who added that most of last year’s grant money was spent on overtime. “We didn't have enough for an adequate amount of staff like in Dumont Dunes, where we have only two patrolmen.”

The team patrols several areas used by off-roaders including Lenwood, Yermo, Stoddard Valley and Dumont Dunes.

San Bernardino County ranks second in the state for off-road use with Barstow and Victor Valley areas attracting the most off-roaders out of other regions in the county, according to Ciolli.

“In 2008 we saw a drop in numbers of people going out to Dumont Dunes and more people going to places around Stoddard Valley and Calico Ghost Town,” he said. “Now off-roaders are scattered more throughout the Barstow area.”

Ciolli said most violations committed by off-road riders are related to safety.

“We cite most for generally reckless driving like riders without helmets and double-riding when they shouldn’t,” he said.

This year’s grant money would go toward more overtime pay, safety equipment and vehicle operations, Ciolli said. Most of the grant is funded by registration fees for off-road vehicles.

The grant application is open for the public to view and comment on from now until April 6 at www.ohv.parks.ca.gov.

it just seems so funny to me...what is the authors definition of adequate??

I saw this, and thought, there are times i'm out there, and i dont even see a ranger

it just seems so funny to me...what is the authors definition of adequate??

adequate means always more than they are getting, kinda like the politicians after billions in bonds, x$ per sq ft building fees, prop tax, lotto, % of sales tax, $ from the Fed and then they say "We need to fully fund education" :laughing:

Oh yeah, where do they come up with the "you can't ride on the land of another person without written authorization in your possession in most of San Bernardino Co and then go declare Wild Wash Rd area for off-road use where I have 30 acres?

Edited by RUn2it

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...