got to meet Travis Pastrana tonight

dunefreak

Tonight I went and met up with Kenny (rhino king) and his son Kyle at Pole Position. I wanted to check the place out and watch Kyle run the track. I also wanted to try and get some :flipoff:

Well, I'm glad I did. I had the opportunity of meeting Travis Pastrana. He was there with a few of buddies. No camera crews, no crowds, no attention whatsoever. It was way cool. The place was empty. It was his group of friends (some of which looked like some of the Nitro Circus crew) and like ONE other group of teenagers in the whole place.

I gotta say, he is one cool dude. I pretty much just introduced myself and said hi. We didn't chat much, but he was very friendly & well mannered. I told him I was a big fan, nice to meet ya yada yada and he seemed very happy to hear it. I quickly threw him my card that has the website info on it and told him if he ever goes to Dumont to hit up the site and say hi! :laughing: Not sure if that will ever happen, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :laughoff: What was really cool was he was kinda in a hurry since he was up next to run the track and almost seemed like he was being called to hurry up, BUT he still took the time to read the card I gave him. :laughoff: He thanked me in his typical kinda hyper super excited voice, "hey thanks man and nice to meet you too!!!"

I was grinning all night. :flipoff: I look up to that guy- he is super talented! :laughing:

pics are coming of the karts....

was it difficult to figure out the camera settings with the flourecent lighting?

You mean the lack of flourecent lighting? :laughoff: yeah, I had to have the aperature all the way open, bump the ISO all the way up to 3200 at times, and even adjust the exposure a lil bit. It was a b*tch, but they came out "ok" I think. This camera is incredible at high ISO settings. Usually there would be a ton of grain or noise at that high of an ISO setting but it's pretty minimal in these shots thanks to this camera. :laughing:

Mang that camera takes some nice pictures. Great color.. :laughoff:

Thanks Jack. :laughing: I found the sweet spot in the saturation settings to get the colors to stand out but not be too much.

You mean the lack of flourecent lighting? :laughoff: yeah, I had to have the aperature all the way open, bump the ISO all the way up to 3200 at times, and even adjust the exposure a lil bit. It was a b*tch, but they came out "ok" I think. This camera is incredible at high ISO settings. Usually there would be a ton of grain or noise at that high of an ISO setting but it's pretty minimal in these shots thanks to this camera. :laughing:

Thanks Jack. :laughing: I found the sweet spot in the saturation settings to get the colors to stand out but not be too much.

You're getting the hang of it Pete. Notice at 2.8 how the depth of field can get really shallow? If you use 2.8 on fast action that's got bumps or something that makes keeping on subject difficult if you go off subject default to the ground below them and not the background and it will stay focused at the same distance. You can fudge on the light too if need be to keep the shot a fast enough speed, just exp comp a little dark for more speed and bring the light back in editing, digital cameras have tons of gradient info in the shadows but no shoulder in the highlights. All in all you got good pics anyways. We should be in the photo thread, I know :laughoff:

ploe position is the poo. who would of thought that electric cars would be so much fun. those cars are not big man certified. good in the corners , not so much in the straights. good times. when i was there in dec the guys workin the pits were talkin up a strom about RK's boy Kyle. saying he could go PRO

• 1 month later...

OMG!!! I too got to meet Travis Pastrana! He is here for the Oregon Trail Rally, which starts tomorrow in Portland before driving on to Hood River Oregon, which is a flippin' AWESOME town! :coocoo:

I had initially just went up to meet him and get an autographed poster, which was cool enough, but then I won this raffle thingy that they had! Notice the hat in my hand. That was my prize. :D I had him, Ken Block and Dave Mirra sign the hat and it's now on my wall with 3 signed posters from Travis, Ken and Dave! What an awesome bunch of guys man! I mean, Pete will tell you that I'm pretty damn goofy :clown: , but they were all so nice and congratulated 'ME' on winning the hat! WTF?!? Totally Awesome! :think:

post-30-1242345688_thumb.jpg

Edited by dunesister