License endorsements for towing over 10K lbs

dunefreak

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, today I went down to the DMV to get the written test for the license endorsement out of the way. Guess what? I don't need it! :rockon: The lady informed me that the only way that the endorsement is required is if the UNLADEN (empty) weight of the trailer was more than 10K lbs. I said, "but what if my trailer weighs let's say 9,000 lbs and I put 3500 lbs of stuff into it? Doesn't that require me to get the endoresemnt to tow it?" She said, nope. They don't care what trailer weighs with cargo, just the unladen wieght. I said, OK! :driver: I guess I'm good to go then. She said, "yep...don't worry about it! :D On the other hand if you attach a boat or another trailer to the back of your toyhauler, you'll need the endorsemnt."

It doesn't make much sense since loaded up is actually over 10K lbs, but I guess when it comes down to a ticket or liability- I'm in the clear! :D

So I guess that answers the mystery to this topic. :woo_hoo::rockwoot:

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG..........The weight of any trailer is its gvw. I m sure the lady at the dmv is well versed in morning coffee and how long you can make people wait before they swear at you but the dmv , esspecially who you get at the window is not an expert in nv law.

If you have a trailer that has a gvw of 10000 lbs, but weighs 4000 and you put nothing on it, you need a J endorsement to be legal.

I pull a 50ft enclosed goose neck (GN) with a gvw of 15500, my truck has a gvw of 11000, so that puts me over 26k, wether I carry it or not. NV is great though, you can get a NON CDL class A, which is what I have. Most states do not offer such a license.

As for insurance not covering you if you pull overweight, cause its illegal? Thats pretty much what insurance is for...............if that were the case, a speeder involved in an accident wouldnt be covered, a drunk driver wouldnt be covered, a red light runner wouldnt be covered, etc etc etc....

BTW the GCVW of a light duty truck doesnt really exist in the eyes of the law. The published towing ratings of light duty trucks are for sales and warantee coverage. In many states you simply pay for the weight rating you want , like if you pull 40k lbs of hay you license your dodge for 40k.....and go to town.

Its your axle weights that matter alot more. I can easily go over the oem recommended gcvw but be under on the axle weights, and since I don t use or have a warantee I dont care. The NHP doesnt care unless m over on axle weights, or not licensed to pull the load.

oh btw, my 50 ft trailer is under 10 unladen, who would know or care, there is no unladen weight, ofcourse the dmv in their wisdom put 1000 lbs on my registraion for a 50 ft trailer....yea it comes in at around 9000 empty.

All that matter is the weight placue and the gvw number on it , thats what the hwp in any state will be looking at on a stop, they are not going to guess at what it weight empty.

Edited by 1320