License endorsements for towing over 10K lbs

dunefreak

I was just curious if anyone that tows over 10,000 lbs has the J endorsement on their license. The thought always crosses my mind whether or not I should worry about getting a ticket when towing my hauler because I don't have it. The GVW is like 15,000 lbs on my hauler. Loaded it's about 13K I'm thinking. :idiot: (A regular class C license only allows the driver to tow up to 10,000 lbs.)

I'm probably gonna go look into it and see what is involved. The NV DMV website says "additional written and skills tests are required." I wonder if I have to hook up my toyhauler and take a driving test with it hooked up. :drinkbeer::drinkbeer::thumb:

NV DMV license classes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just curious if anyone that tows over 10,000 lbs has the J endorsement on their license. The thought always crosses my mind whether or not I should worry about getting a ticket when towing my hauler because I don't have it. The GVW is like 15,000 lbs on my hauler. Loaded it's about 13K I'm thinking. :idiot: (A regular class C license only allows the driver to tow up to 10,000 lbs.)

I'm probably gonna go look into it and see what is involved. The NV DMV website says "additional written and skills tests are required." I wonder if I have to hook up my toyhauler and take a driving test with it hooked up. :drinkbeer::drinkbeer::thumb:

NV DMV license classes

well my dad had to get a special license to tow with the semi and he had to take our toyhauler when he took the test if that helps :laughoff:

Pete if its the same process as california...

1) take test get permit

2) drag your sh*t to dmv and take driving test

3) get new license w/ proper endorsements on it.. :D

I know that, Dave. I was kinda wondering about myself in this case.

hey pete just do this to dave :laughing: he's a smart a$$.. :freakin_nuts:

but you know it is a good question for anyone pulling any kind of trailer????????

i wouldn't have a clue.

Edited by DUNE SMURF

Careful you don't show up at the DMV without a qualified driver....I've heard they give $hit to some of the guys in Cali if they do. :laughing:

Qualified driver? You mean someone who already has the endorsement, right? Because we'd have major problems on the road if I wasn't qulified to tow the TajMahal by now. :freakin_nuts: :laughoff: If NV is the same as CA, then like ISBB said- passing the written test grants you a permit. Then you come back w/ the permit to take the driving skills test. I'll have to go down one of these days and find out. :laughoff:

aw forget that sht :coffee: no time never heard any body getting a ticket and ur sht isnt that big!!!! :laughoff::laughoff:

Thats so true!!! Besides if you can ride a rhino in the dunes your qualified to drive/tow anything!!!! :laughoff::laughoff::bawl:

aw forget that sht :laughoff: no time never heard any body getting a ticket and ur sht isnt that big!!!! :laughoff::laughoff:

It's over 10K loaded though and thats all that matters. :bawl:

I just like being legal if I get pulled over doing mach 2. It would be one less ticket the cop could give me. :laughoff:

It's over 10K loaded though and thats all that matters. :laughoff:

I just like being legal if I get pulled over doing mach 2. It would be one less ticket the cop could give me. :laughoff:

That....and I hate to say it...but if you get in an accident you could have bigger problems.

That....and I hate to say it...but if you get in an accident you could have bigger problems.

No, the license would only cover you from an extra ticket. I'm not overloaded, so how would that matter in case of an accident? It would just be an extra ticket. You'd face the same charges (if at fault) no matter what license you have. :laughoff: Now if I had 20K lbs behind me and got into an accident, I would be in some serious sh*t if at fault in case of an accident. As far as liability, I am under the GVW for my truck's intended towing capacity.

No, the license would only cover you from an extra ticket. I'm not overloaded, so how would that matter in case of an accident? It would just be an extra ticket. You'd face the same charges (if at fault) no matter what license you have. :laughoff: Now if I had 20K lbs behind me and got into an accident, I would be in some serious sh*t if at fault in case of an accident. As far as liability, I am under the GVW for my truck's intended towing capacity.

I would figure the insurance company would leave you stranded since you didn't have the proper endorsement for the capacity you're towing....just a thought.

I would figure the insurance company would leave you stranded since you didn't have the proper endorsement for the capacity you're towing....just a thought.

It's a big maybe either way. I am gonna get the endorsement regardless. If there is any extra risk involved with not having the endorsement- I don't want it. This is why I was thinking of looking into it.

From what i have read and from what i understand Overweight is Overweight wether or not your at fault your insurance company more than likely will not cover you in case of a accident.. Thats just what i gather from reading over on GD about these discussions all the time.. :D The endorsement will save you a extra ticket if you do get pulled over... but your best surfire bet is to load up like you would for any normal weekend including the 4 30packs you plan on drinking in one night and hit up a scale and see if you definatley are within the weight rating.. You would be surprised how many people go ohhhhh im fine im not over weight, then they go weigh thier rig and are in disbelief because they actually are overweight... I do believe the truckstop over off Blue Diamond and the 15 has a certified scale ( someone might want to verify that ) but usually 7 bucks will give you the real truth and its a couple minutes and can be accomplished on your way to dumont :D

From what i have read and from what i understand Overweight is Overweight wether or not your at fault your insurance company more than likely will not cover you in case of a accident.. Thats just what i gather from reading over on GD about these discussions all the time.. :D The endorsement will save you a extra ticket if you do get pulled over... but your best surfire bet is to load up like you would for any normal weekend including the 4 30packs you plan on drinking in one night and hit up a scale and see if you definatley are within the weight rating.. You would be surprised how many people go ohhhhh im fine im not over weight, then they go weigh thier rig and are in disbelief because they actually are overweight... I do believe the truckstop over off Blue Diamond and the 15 has a certified scale ( someone might want to verify that ) but usually 7 bucks will give you the real truth and its a couple minutes and can be accomplished on your way to dumont :D

Why are you talking about this, Nick? My truck/trailer combo is by far not overweight. The topic at hand was would you be at more risk of not being covered by your insurance if you didn't have the ENDORSEMENT. :D

Mine was 18,459 goign to the Dunes, 22,000 when I moved to Iowa

Why are you talking about this, Nick? My truck/trailer combo is by far not overweight. The topic at hand was would you be at more risk of not being covered by your insurance if you didn't have the ENDORSEMENT. :D

How do you know your not overweight... because the sticker on the trailer says so... the stickers lie about thier unladed weight rating...( usually stickered for a bare minium bone stock trailer w/ noooo options add all the options up and the Unladen rating goes up ) and you will not be covered by your insurance if your towing illegaly.. .why would they insure you doing something illegal... Even if you have the endorsement it wont matter..

that was GCVW right?? What was the trucks GCVW?

Truck is 10K the trailer is 14K GVW. The truck weighs jsut over 7K empty and the trailer is 8820 empty.

CDL Class A All endorsments

Edited by wrench

How do you know your not overweight... because the sticker on the trailer says so... the stickers lie about thier unladed weight rating...( usually stickered for a bare minium bone stock trailer w/ noooo options add all the options up and the Unladen rating goes up ) and you will not be covered by your insurance if your towing illegaly.. .why would they insure you doing something illegal... Even if you have the endorsement it wont matter..

Nick, don't worry about my weight. I'm sure it is under if even if the trailer weighs more than they say it does. Are you saying my trailer weighs more than 15,500 lbs loaded??? :mc_smiley: :blink: I think not. I'll get it weighed soon and prove you wrong. :flipoff::laughoff::laughoff:

Do you have an endorsement to drive your Sonoma after you have a big lunch? :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff: Sorry I couldn't resist. j/k dude :D