License endorsements for towing over 10K lbs

dunefreak

better safe than sorry Freak... you would never know w/ half of these trailers... Some WW's w/ all the options are close to 11k WITHOUT any toys water or anything in them... whos to say that your trailer mfg isnt the same way? i dont care if you prove me wrong or not hell ill even give you the 10 bucks to pay for the weight certificate :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better safe than sorry Freak... you would never know w/ half of these trailers... Some WW's w/ all the options are close to 11k WITHOUT any toys water or anything in them... whos to say that your trailer mfg isnt the same way? i dont care if you prove me wrong or not hell ill even give you the 10 bucks to pay for the weight certificate :D

Oh I know. I hear ya. I am curious how much EVERYTHING weighs as well. One of these days I'll get it down on the scale. And yeah, that truck stop on Blue Diamond does have scale for 7 bucks. I weighed my other toyhauler on it and I was about 700 lbs UNDER what I thought it was. :laughoff: They give you the printout and all, including separated axle weights too. It might not be until October that I'll be completely loaded up to do that with my new toyhauler though. :(

Just curious. If you were involved in an accident and your toyhauler was demolished....how the heck would THEY know if your trailer was overloaded or not? Do they scrape everything up off the road and throw it on a scale? :laughoff: :mc_smiley: I've always wondered that. :laughoff:

if someone would read.. it was actually freak and cmyfirepole who started talking about weight not me!!

Not really Nick. I was just stating that I wasn't overloaded was all. But I see where you were trying to go with that. :mc_smiley:

No, the license would only cover you from an extra ticket. I'm not overloaded, so how would that matter in case of an accident? It would just be an extra ticket. You'd face the same charges (if at fault) no matter what license you have. :laughoff: Now if I had 20K lbs behind me and got into an accident, I would be in some serious sh*t if at fault in case of an accident. As far as liability, I am under the GVW for my truck's intended towing capacity.

if someone would read.. it was actually freak and cmyfirepole who started talking about weight not me!!

Not me...I'm not the weight police. If you look back you'll see that I was concerned about the implicit liability taken on by Dunefreak because he doesn't have the proper endorsement to tow a trailer with the capacity of the Taj Mahal. No where did I explicity state that he could get in trouble for being over weight. However, I can see how you could read into trailer weight based on our conversation.

:mc_smiley:

Is it October yet? :laughoff:

haha......well regardless I am gonna go down soon and take the endorsement test. Then maybe when I go to Coral Pink next (Labor Day weekend), I'll have the TajMahal weighed when I have it loaded to the max and find out for sure what that thing weighs for future reference. :happydrunks:

Do you have an endorsement to drive your Sonoma after you have a big lunch? :happydrunks::rockon::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff: Sorry I couldn't resist. j/k dude :D

That is funny a$$ sh*t right there. :laughoff::laughoff:

1/4 ton + ISBB = a full ton ( Perhaps the operation of this combo requires a CDL)

That is funny a$$ sh*t right there. :happydrunks::rockon:

1/4 ton + ISBB = a full ton ( Perhaps the operation of this combo requires a CDL)

Better pull it on the scale behind dunefreak and make sure im not overweight... a 26,000 lb sonoma would suck.. :laughoff:

I wonder what the combined weight of my big a$$ truck (with my fat a$$ too!) and trailer loaded is. I know it has to be more than Pete's. What do you think Pete?

Your truck isn't any bigger than mine- just TALLER. It's actully smaller. Hell it's only a 3/4 ton at that. :unsure::flipoff::unsure: j/k

I doubt they are much different in weight at all. If it is, that sucks for you. :laughoff::laughoff: Get it weighed at the Pilot truck stop the next time you up to Coral and find out. :dunno:

Well, today I went down to the DMV to get the written test for the license endorsement out of the way. Guess what? I don't need it! :dunno: The lady informed me that the only way that the endorsement is required is if the UNLADEN (empty) weight of the trailer was more than 10K lbs. I said, "but what if my trailer weighs let's say 9,000 lbs and I put 3500 lbs of stuff into it? Doesn't that require me to get the endoresemnt to tow it?" She said, nope. They don't care what trailer weighs with cargo, just the unladen wieght. I said, OK! :huh: I guess I'm good to go then. She said, "yep...don't worry about it! :D On the other hand if you attach a boat or another trailer to the back of your toyhauler, you'll need the endorsemnt."

It doesn't make much sense since loaded up is actually over 10K lbs, but I guess when it comes down to a ticket or liability- I'm in the clear! :D

So I guess that answers the mystery to this topic. :beerpint::undecided:

well your still not in the clear if you load it up more than GCVW :D but we wont get into that debate again cuz your sh*t dont weight that much.. :D

Right. I know for a fact I'll never go over 15,000 lbs. :undecided: I MAY be 13,500, but not much more if any over that. :dunno:

Right. I know for a fact I'll never go over 15,000 lbs. :undecided: I MAY be 13,500, but not much more if any over that. :huh:

I found an excel spreadsheet that calcs all of that stuff for ya if you just put in the figures. It's fairly detailed down to the gas in your tank! However I get this statement when attempting to attach "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension."

:dunno:

I found an excel spreadsheet that calcs all of that stuff for ya if you just put in the figures. It's fairly detailed down to the gas in your tank! However I get this statement when attempting to attach "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension."

:undecided:

Gerald try e-mailing it to me in a zip file. :dunno: Pete@DumontDuneRiders.com