Onan carbs serviceable?

dunefreak

Are they serviceable or no? I heard they don't sell parts for them? Is that for real? Seems rediculous if it is. :dunno:

I gotta open mine up and see whats up with it since it's become quite the flame-thrower lately. :ah:

Anyone have any first hand experience and know if they sell rebuilt kits or parts?

Are they serviceable or no? I heard they don't sell parts for them? Is that for real? Seems rediculous if it is. :dunno:

I gotta open mine up and see whats up with it since it's become quite the flame-thrower lately. :ah:

Anyone have any first hand experience and know if they sell rebuilt kits or parts?

hi pete my onan s#it on us last week on the beach guy came out to fix it the carbs have no rebuilt kits new carb $300 thats bs tom :blink:

My brother told me his buddy, an RV (real valuable) mechanic said the carbs didn't come apart so I had to show him that they do come apart. This might sound far fetched but on any carb that you rebuild it's usually the cleaning during rebuild that fixes the problem unless you have a dribbler fuel needle and seat or the engine has sat for so long that old fuel/moisture has plugged/corroded the jets. Pete, it throws a flame at shut down or random? Backfires are usually a sign of a lean condition, so lean it won't light and unburnt fuel will build up and when it does light .... BAM, only good for pre-spooling a turbo. Bet you clean the carb inards and new air & fuel filter and U B ret 2 go.

Just remembered more, my brother bought a replacement carb and I showed him the old one came apart, he gives it to my buddy as his was wasted, re-opened it and some carb cleaner and his gen ran perfect, no adjustments.

Edited by RUn2it

Thanks guys.

Lee, it's not that I really need help diagnosing the problem as I am sure it is just gummed up like you say. It is running rich and loads up and backfires through the intake making for a real nice flame. You can see the fuel splatter up out of the jet in an unmetered way if that makes any sense. lol

I just didn't want to tear into the carb without being able to have parts available. I talked with Brice today and I think I should have it handled. A similar issue happened with his.

I'm just gonna be very careful pulling the float bowl off and clean out that sensor/ solenoid fuggin thing on the bottom that helps meter the fuel. Brice has his old carb that I might be able to use for spare parts.

I'll keep you all posted on what I find. How exciting huh? :blink::dunno:

Thanks guys.

Lee, it's not that I really need help diagnosing the problem as I am sure it is just gummed up like you say. It is running rich and loads up and backfires through the intake making for a real nice flame. You can see the fuel splatter up out of the jet in an unmetered way if that makes any sense. lol

I just didn't want to tear into the carb without being able to have parts available. I talked with Brice today and I think I should have it handled. A similar issue happened with his.

I'm just gonna be very careful pulling the float bowl off and clean out that sensor/ solenoid fuggin thing on the bottom that helps meter the fuel. Brice has his old carb that I might be able to use for spare parts.

I'll keep you all posted on what I find. How exciting huh? :blink::dunno:

coming out the intake, he he, bet that would be entertaining looking at the gen close when it happens.Yes, Do post what you find, seems like the intake valve would be closed 180* before and 360* after spark. Mine runs on pro-pain :pissed: had internal regulator fill up with stinky tar looking stuff, fuel solenoid sticking, and the old run fine and quit for no reason, but no flame thrower yet :MBdance: Pete, X Games :smoker:

The carb is not serviceable. You might get lucky and be able to clean it out but some of the passage ways are blocked off and not accessable to clean. It is imperative that you run it atleast one every two months or so to clean out the fuel with fresh fuel to avoid gumming up the carb.

Onan sucks for this problem

The carb is not serviceable. You might get lucky and be able to clean it out but some of the passage ways are blocked off and not accessable to clean. It is imperative that you run it atleast one every two months or so to clean out the fuel with fresh fuel to avoid gumming up the carb.

Onan sucks for this problem

I have and this still happened. :dunno:

coming out the intake, he he, bet that would be entertaining looking at the gen close when it happens.

Funny you say that because last trip out at D for the night drags I pulled the air filter cover off to check it out and BOOM! :blink: It about singed my eye brows off. Lemme tell you...that chit wakes you up real quick! :ah: :dunno:

Anyways, I just got back in from checking it out. I'm not 100% sure I fixed it yet, but I pulled the carb off, removed the float bowl and cleaned out the mixture control solenoid on the bottom of the bowl. It seemed to be a bit sticky so we'll see if it is cleared up when I go out the next few days and fire it up to see how it runs. It popped a few lil farts when I started it just now, but no flame thrower like last time. It's always chugged a little bit right after startup so I think it's fixed now.

Funny you say that because last trip out at D for the night drags I pulled the air filter cover off to check it out and BOOM! :banghead: It about singed my eye brows off. Lemme tell you...that chit wakes you up real quick! :ah: :beercheers:

Anyways, I just got back in from checking it out. I'm not 100% sure I fixed it yet, but I pulled the carb off, removed the float bowl and cleaned out the mixture control solenoid on the bottom of the bowl. It seemed to be a bit sticky so we'll see if it is cleared up when I go out the next few days and fire it up to see how it runs. It popped a few lil farts when I started it just now, but no flame thrower like last time It's always chugged a little bit right after startup so I think it's fixed now.

It's been to Dumont so much, that's where I learned to chug :banghead: Bet when it backfired in your face your eyes looked like that pic you took at the meet&greet of my ping pong eyes---> :banghead: If you've ever had to add gas to your generator at Dumont I wouldn't be surprized if the pilot/low speed jet had a little Dumont homesteading there.