Help need chevy mechanic help.

iweb

It also could be where the driveshaft goes into the tranny causing the vibration...

The seal could be worn out causing that

just my :xmas_grin: but that vibration might have been there and caused that bracket to break and then the

vibration went away :laughing:

Edited by Moparskin18

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I went to SLC and hauled the truck home. I have not taken it out on the highway to duplicate the vibration that my son said it had 50-75 mph but drove 45 mph out the road and when I let off the gas the old vibration/shudder that it had when I first test drove it is back but so bad it shakes the whole truck.

While coasting I can put the tranny in neutral and it doesn't change, while in neutral rev up motor and doesn't change, put in gear and give it a little gas and no vibration.

I crawled under it and everything seems tight and normal except for front drive shaft at transfer case moves up and down alot when I push and pull it. I checked my Dodge and Cherokee and they don't move. Could this be it and if so how do I fix it?

Ok I went to SLC and hauled the truck home. I have not taken it out on the highway to duplicate the vibration that my son said it had 50-75 mph but drove 45 mph out the road and when I let off the gas the old vibration/shudder that it had when I first test drove it is back but so bad it shakes the whole truck.

While coasting I can put the tranny in neutral and it doesn't change, while in neutral rev up motor and doesn't change, put in gear and give it a little gas and no vibration.

I crawled under it and everything seems tight and normal except for front drive shaft at transfer case moves up and down alot when I push and pull it. I checked my Dodge and Cherokee and they don't move. Could this be it and if so how do I fix it?

Holy crap! replace those front u-joints before you pole vault your truck!

:laughing:

Sounds like a very loose u-joint or the output shaft bushing could be worn out in the t-case. If it is easy to duplicate the vibration, I'd stop guessing and go to Adam's driveshaft. They might not even charge you a diagnostic fee if it is something pretty obvious to them.

Checked all u-joints by pushing and pulling and none seem loose. I can probably push the front shaft at the transfer case a good 1/2 to 1" in any direction. Would Adams change the bushing? Any idea on cost as I would have to load her up and haul to Vegas.

Checked all u-joints by pushing and pulling and none seem loose. I can probably push the front shaft at the transfer case a good 1/2 to 1" in any direction. Would Adams change the bushing? Any idea on cost as I would have to load her up and haul to Vegas.

If it's the front driveshaft, couldn't you just remove that driveshaft and drive it in 2wd to get repaired if it's not too far. That, or trailer it in, but I definitely wouldn't drive it the way it is; you could do some serious damage if she pops out at speed. I've had a couple come apart on the semi's; suckers spun around and destroyed suspension, and electrical harness, and even bent the frame rails (3/8" thick) :laughing:

Wow, it moves that much? That is an issue. lol

I forgot you were in Pahrump. I don't know for sure if Adam's does that type of repair, but I'd think they would. They also do rear ends and other repairs so I would think they would. Is there a shop in Pahrump you can take it to? If I remeber right on that tcase I don't think it is that big of a repair. You might be able to pull the driveshaft and remove the extension housing yourself and bring it to someone who can press a new bushing in. You'd want to make sure that was the problem 1st though. ;)

Got the drive shaft off, took it for a ride and it didn't change anything so back to square one. 25 mph let off gas no vibration, 45 mph let off gas and terrible vibration or shudder that shakes the whole truck, put it in neutral while coasting and it sitll vibrates, put it back into gear and give it a little gas and vibration goes away.

Any ideas now?

• 6 months later...

Found out the vibration is input shaft seal/bearing or whatever he called it.

I bought a used tranny and the guy said it works perfect when its cold but shifts hard when warmed up. I talked to a local tranny shop and he says shifting hard means it is shot and needs a total rebuild. PO also said he took the truck to a tranny shop and the computer showed a code with a sticking valve or piston, he couldn't remember exactly what was suppose to be sticking.

If my son puts in the "new" tranny to see how it works does the tranny need to be pulled to fix the sticking valve thingie or can just pulling the pan work to fix it?

What do you guys say?