Driving a Fast Car Slow, and a Slow Car Fast

Free Agent

17633083-med.JPG

My brother-in-Law Jim comes down from Seattle for a week or two each month.

He was second in command building the StarBucks empire, long since retired.

Though a liberal, and my late mother couldn't stand him, my dad tolerates him,, if you separate politics, he's a terrific guy.

A genuine car nut, collects all kinds of cars. Though loaded with dough, he'd buy my sisters BMWs in California because they were much cheaper than in Washington.

For a few mornings, I took him to Starbucks for coffee. He loves the wife's s2000 and our zo6, so that's what we drove several days.

Being the big Obama liberal, he mentioned "How Honda has it down with economy cars like the s2000. GM now has to go that direction too."

Say what????

So after Starbucks, and visits to some family owned coffee outlets on some mornings, we did a run to the Rudder Room in Channel islands Harbor in the S2000.

Another day took him to a car show in the Z06.

Both drives along the 101 and very close in terrain and road and distance.

Both cars weigh roughly the same (the 'Vette about 300# more BTW):

The Honda: 235 HP 4 cylinder... 18.6 MPG.

The Z06: 505 hp 427 V8.......... 26.2 mpg.

I also asked Jim in the same breath of course, why the mom and pop coffee & pastry shops have ample room to prepare your coffee with your cream and sugar, usually several big tables, and Starbucks has lines of people cuing up and stumbling over each other at the little TV tray size condiment table?

OK,, I got my pound of flesh outta Jim.

Oh,, and asked Jim why you can build a retaining wall with the Starbucks pastries too.

well the pastry bricks are my favorite part if you ask me. its like a game in the morning, just wondering if the might have just ONE semi-soft pastry. otherwise just let the bricks sit in the extremely hot coffee and after about an hour its soggy. best of both worlds.. MMmmmmm

Boy this made my day... i don't like coffee and refused to buy any starbucks, im so glad that i didnt make this guy his money. Along with you i love pulling out how much mileage our "gas guzzeling" big powerful American cars get, heck my f-body gets better freeway mileage then the s2000

There is nothing I like better than to hear a slam on Starbucks! Maybe if people went more to the mom and pop stores there will be a better selection in the future. The big corporations will always be here but the mom and pops depend on peeps helping them during tuff times. But then again my opinion might be a little slanted!

That's like when the Top Gear guys tested a Prius vs a BMW M3......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by beau

Nice Vette. :beercheers: I hope to pick one up one of these days (or years) soon. I've never been into them until just recently, but the new ones are downright badass. Until then, I'll have to just take lil longer test drives at work and pretend it's mine. :P :angry2:

Nice Vette. :beercheers: I hope to pick one up one of these days (or years) soon. I've never been into them until just recently, but the new ones are downright badass. Until then, I'll have to just take lil longer test drives at work and pretend it's mine. :P :angry2:

The dealers must have awesome deals on used vettes right now. I would guess at or below auction prices for employees.

i have a couple friends that run a starbucks inside the local grocery store that hook me up most of the time....so im not gonna complain about free coffee, BUT...i usually brew my own

just got a krups stainless steel, built in bean grinder coffee maker....mmmmmmmm so much better

LIBZ SUCK a$$

i have a couple friends that run a starbucks inside the local grocery store that hook me up most of the time....so im not gonna complain about free coffee, BUT...i usually brew my own

just got a krups stainless steel, built in bean grinder coffee maker....mmmmmmmm so much better

LIBZ SUCK a$$

Now all you need is some good fresh coffee to put in that bad boy. Make sure your using RO or bottled water also it makes a big difference depending on your water quality in Bako!