Fuel pump station upgrade on Weekend Warrior

80grit

I had a small pin hole in my gas tank for the fuel pump station on my weekend warrior. I tried JP weld and it would fix the leak for about 2 months and start leaking again. Called around and found a local radiator shop that would weld it if I brought it in.

I was not happy with the performance of the pump station. It would take me 15 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon jug of gas. Started to think that to fill up the rail (20 gallons), it would take me an hour.

I looked around and found out that the stock Carter Fuel filter is rated (new) at 72 gallons per hour at 6 psi. I wasnt even getting that kind of flo rate. So I ordered up a Mallory fuel filter that flows at 250 gallons per hour at 18 psi.

While the radiator shop had the fuel tank for repair, I had them weld me up a spare hose adapter at the top of the fuel tank to accomadate a by-pass hose. With the added pressure, the pump needs to divert the fuel back into the holding tank when it isnt pumping.

Any way here is some pics of the upgrade. Now I can fill the rail in under 5 minutes.

post-14-1249264646_thumb.jpg

The old carter and fuel filter on the right.

New Mallory and filter on the left.

post-14-1249264718_thumb.jpg

New setup installed

Edited by 80grit

Thanks. I just figure I'd post these projects up...maybe it will help the next guy that has to do it. Or at least give them ideas on how to do it.

Tim got me thinking about those invertors and now I need to research and install one for my next project :)

Cant wait till October to start the season !