2 Stroke Guru's... Banshee Help

otis

I did a top end rebuild a few months back. Have had it out a few times to break it in, ran fine. Went to take it for a ride last week and it wouldnt start. It has spark, plugs look good, it's getting fuel, but compression seems kind of low for it's mods, 135 left & 120 right.

I took the pipes off and found what smells like brake parts cleaner, and looks like watered down coffee (doesnt look or feel like gear oil or coolant) in the expansion chambers, 14oz in the left and 12oz in the right...

I pulled the head and kicked the bike over a few times to look for anything unusual but everything looked good. Cylinders still have new hone look. Pulled the reeds, they look good. Cleaned the carbs/jets, checked float height, and check to see if the slides were sticking. Put everything back together and kicked it over a few (hundred) times but it still wouldnt start. I'm stumped....

Bottom end was gone through not too long ago, and all seals were replaced so i dont think its coming from there...

I can't think of any reason why it's not starting, or why there was fluid (fuel maybe??) in the pipes?

Any suggestions??

I did a top end rebuild a few months back. Have had it out a few times to break it in, ran fine. Went to take it for a ride last week and it wouldnt start. It has spark, plugs look good, it's getting fuel, but compression seems kind of low for it's mods, 135 left & 120 right.

I took the pipes off and found what smells like brake parts cleaner, and looks like watered down coffee (doesnt look or feel like gear oil or coolant) in the expansion chambers, 14oz in the left and 12oz in the right...

I pulled the head and kicked the bike over a few times to look for anything unusual but everything looked good. Cylinders still have new hone look. Pulled the reeds, they look good. Cleaned the carbs/jets, checked float height, and check to see if the slides were sticking. Put everything back together and kicked it over a few (hundred) times but it still wouldnt start. I'm stumped....

Bottom end was gone through not too long ago, and all seals were replaced so i dont think its coming from there...

I can't think of any reason why it's not starting, or why there was fluid (fuel maybe??) in the pipes?

Any suggestions??

it can be only 3 things fuel motor oil or coolent motor oil would be only in the right cylinder coolent would be in one or both but if it sems to be more of a fuel looking its goint to be ether flote level or needle and seat try new plugs and turn off your fuel (only have your flote bull full ) and try starting but if you have had the head miiled that is a little low but would still start the rings my need more time to seat my spelling suck you can call me 909 436 9221 bruce

it can be only 3 things fuel motor oil or coolent motor oil would be only in the right cylinder coolent would be in one or both but if it sems to be more of a fuel looking its goint to be ether flote level or needle and seat try new plugs and turn off your fuel (only have your flote bull full ) and try starting but if you have had the head miiled that is a little low but would still start the rings my need more time to seat my spelling suck you can call me 909 436 9221 bruce

Thanks Bruce, I will give that a try. If it doesnt start i will definitely give you a call!

Thanks again!

:old:

Edited by otis

ahh hmmm.. 5 banshees later.. it could be multiple things.. kind of the same thing i had happen to me..my crank seal went bad which let oil seep into the right cyl.. then it could be like what bruce said..had this happen on my yz250 left fuel on.. and all my gas was gone..i was like wtf mate..all the fuel was in the bottom end,topend,and pipe... i have a milled head and i have 135 per cylinder..equal... and i havent rebuilt in over 4 years. what is ur jetting at now? on my banshees i usually have around 300 to 340 main and my pilots are 30 to 32.5 .. if u need any help im in vegas and can come by and help call or text anytime 702 481 6998

also.. the carb slides on stock carbs are picky about what side they go in..also which bowl goes on which carb matters to.. the left carb bowl has a small jet in the bowl. just gimme a call or text

Edited by WonderBoy

ahh hmmm.. 5 banshees later.. it could be multiple things.. kind of the same thing i had happen to me..my crank seal went bad which let oil seep into the right cyl.. then it could be like what bruce said..had this happen on my yz250 left fuel on.. and all my gas was gone..i was like wtf mate..all the fuel was in the bottom end,topend,and pipe... i have a milled head and i have 135 per cylinder..equal... and i havent rebuilt in over 4 years. what is ur jetting at now? on my banshees i usually have around 300 to 340 main and my pilots are 30 to 32.5 .. if u need any help im in vegas and can come by and help call or text anytime 702 481 6998

also.. the carb slides on stock carbs are picky about what side they go in..also which bowl goes on which carb matters to.. the left carb bowl has a small jet in the bowl. just gimme a call or text

At Dumont I run 350 mains, 25 pilot (my bike doesnt like 27.5) and needle clip down one notch. If i do any summer riding i'll toss in a set of 310 mains.

I have a feeling that the floats are shot. I havent had a chance to try Bruce's suggestion, but am going to after work today. I might pull the carbs from my other banshee and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for everyones input! :mischevious:

How old are the needle and seats? Do you have a fuel filter to get any sediment that might be in the tank? The smallest anything in the fuel will cause the needle not to seat all the way, and flood the motor. I have had this happen on a banshee also. Filled up the cylinder that was down and into the pipe. Has it sat a long time? Mine sat for a few months, and thats when I noticed it. Just some things to check. Good Luck.

I did another compression check after dumping all the fuel out of the pipes and got even worse numbers this time 90/100... :pics:

Tried your suggestion Bruce. No luck.... I even swapped out both carbs, and ignition coil (just for chits and giggles) and it still wouldnt start....

I think i may have a piston/ring/cylinder tolorance issue... Gonna have them check out... if thats not the problem i'm gonna cry.... :pics:

sound to me like the floats are sticking and flooding the motor! if the floats are sticking the carbs will dump fuel in to the cylinders fill them up and then start running into the pipes and the bottom end ! even with 9o lbs it should still start ! first thing I would do is check for spark then pull the carbs and check the jets and the floats again!! make sure you clean out the jets ! if the pilots are plugged it would be very hard to kick start if at all ! old watery fuel smells like parts cleaner to me sometimes! Banshees are pretty basic just keep trying !

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's input. Got it running! :watching:

I rebuilt the carbs including new floats & needles, had the cylinders bored, and got a new set of intakes. Took it out last night for a little break in run, and she ran like a champ!

Looks like i'll make it out for Halloween after all! :laughing::dayum::yiah:

glad you got yours running good. mine has been sitting since last halloween. kept fouling the plug in the right cylinder. been to lazy to mess with it. hope to see ya on halloween weekend. my 3 other bikes are running good so i will just bring them. :D

glad you got yours running good. mine has been sitting since last halloween. kept fouling the plug in the right cylinder. been to lazy to mess with it. hope to see ya on halloween weekend. my 3 other bikes are running good so i will just bring them. :D

Hey Dave. Hopefully it'll make it through the weekend. Seems like i get one good run out of her, and something goes wrong...I'll have a back up just in case..

We'll be out there Thursday evening. Usually around bathroom 6. Stop on by..You should be able to reconize my truck...still havent had it painted..haha. :headbang1: Wouldnt mind hooking up for a ride or two!