Weber carburetors

sandawg

All I hear is that sand gets in the idle circuit on Weber carbs when used in the dunes! It has happened to me 3 times in one season. Where do the sand grains come from that get into the idle jets? I have an in line filter and the screens in the carb intakes. I have the air filters sealed with high temp grease to eliminate the chance of it happening again. Who knows why this is such an issue and how to make sure it doesn't happen again. There has to be a reason for it and a solution. The sand monster has it in for Weber!!

I wish I could see a "map" of the inside of a Weber down draft to see where the gas comes and go inside the carbs! That would show me where the possibilities are for the "Sand Intrusion" nightmare!

:beercheers:

Edited by SANDAWG

All I hear is that sand gets in the idle circuit on Weber carbs when used in the dunes! It has happened to me 3 times in one season. Where do the sand grains come from that get into the idle jets? I have an in line filter and the screens in the carb intakes. I have the air filters sealed with high temp grease to eliminate the chance of it happening again. Who knows why this is such an issue and how to make sure it doesn't happen again. There has to be a reason for it and a solution. The sand monster has it in for Weber!!

I wish I could see a "map" of the inside of a Weber down draft to see where the gas comes and go inside the carbs! That would show me where the possibilities are for the "Sand Intrusion" nightmare!

:beercheers:

I had the same prob with my d/44's...i found out if you run PAPER filter before the fuel pump and paper filters right before each carb..this eliminated my problem with the dirt in the idle circuit. but use paper filters they seem to take out the extra fine dirt better then those glass "bling bling:" ones. i also use a pre-air filter with my K&N and use a slight amount of air filter spray oil on them the k&n to also help with the fine dirt. hope this helps

I had the same prob with my d/44's...i found out if you run PAPER filter before the fuel pump and paper filters right before each carb..this eliminated my problem with the dirt in the idle circuit. but use paper filters they seem to take out the extra fine dirt better then those glass "bling bling:" ones. i also use a pre-air filter with my K&N and use a slight amount of air filter spray oil on them the k&n to also help with the fine dirt. hope this helps

All good suggestions. I just don't think that the sand is coming in on the fuel supply side. I think it is coming into the carb through the top somehow and getting sucked down the emulsion tube or through the opening in the top of the carb plate and somehow gets in to the bowl and then into the idle jet on the way to the venturi.

Bu theck what do I know, If I knew I'd have it solved by now! :beercheers::ban-split:

Edited by SANDAWG

Unfortunately that is a tough problem with carbs and sand. I think your answer has been noted above already. Use a quality air filter base and top with grease to help seal the air filter top and bottom. I think I had 3 fuel filters on my VW engine. 1 right out of the fuel pump and one before each carb. I also have K&N Air Filters with an Outerwear sock on each one to help out.

I had the same problem with mine went to aluminum housing for k&n and outer wear made it better

I went to Nev offroad buggy and bought 2 fuel injection filters they catch all the smaller particles

they are square plastic in line filters I put one before the fuel pump and one after you know when

you need to change them when you start getting sand in jets again.

I had the same problem with mine went to aluminum housing for k&n and outer wear made it better

I went to Nev offroad buggy and bought 2 fuel injection filters they catch all the smaller particles

they are square plastic in line filters I put one before the fuel pump and one after you know when

you need to change them when you start getting sand in jets again.

The G3 (3/8" nipples) fram filters or G12 (5/16" nipples) (common at most parts stores) are great for the application after the tank & after the fuel pump.

Webers already have fuel filters adjacent at the fuel inlet (inside the 19mm nut) that are very fine.

That being said, it's very hard for any sand to get through from the fuel supply.

Intrusion is generally from the air side.. the air filters.

As suggested above the aluminum channeled filters bodies are superior for keeping sand out. Especially helpful is a set of topless Outerwears (I stock these & I sell the aluminum air cleaner assemblies) to fit the air cleaner element prior to install.

By installing the Outerwear on the filter and then inserting the element into the air filter channels and then bolting on the air filter top, it's virtually impossible for sand to get in.

Always treat the filter element with filter oil for longer element life.

I sell the k&n filter cleaner kits too.

another trick to prevent sand particles from plugging idle jets is to enlarge the idle jet so the sand particle won't get stuck.

Unfortunately this means you'll run richer on low end so you may end up needing a colder plug to help burn the extra fuel.

If you also add a hotter firing coil then of course it will help ignite the additional fuel and up the ponies put out.

Depending on the motor, a 65,000 volt Compu-Fire coil kit will almost ignite water! and allows you to gap your plugs at a comfortable 45. With the 'big kit' as I call it, you can run big idle jets.

Many of my customers have the big kits and as a result have the big jets and no idle jet plugging problems.

HEY PAT, just take off that little motor and put on a 4.3 motor you wont have that problem anymore.

lol. :bert: :?:

Naw!!! I like it light and nimble. I am considering a Subi in the future or possibly a turbo set up if $$$$$$$$ alows it. :shake::laughoff:

Last time out, Bob nic named me the "SAND FLEA" after I lead him on a ride.

Seems like I can turn just a "bit" sharper than he can. Evasive stragety jsut works sometimes.

:hatdance: :driver::dunno:

Hope we'll be able to get together some weekend soon ! Harley says HI to Angel! :thumb: