Any Toyota mechanics on Here

higheroctane69

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra and was coming back from dumont this weekend when I noticed what sounded to be a loud knocking sound or ticking coming from motor. I checked oil it was good not overheating and when you get rolling down the road it goes away and starts running smooth. Has great power still and runs like a champ other than the ticking. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side valves. I took it to dealer mechanic he seemed to pretend he knows what hes talking about Im no mechanic but I know he didnt know what was up. So any mechanics out there think its a valve adjustment issue and if so where should I take it to be done thats affordable and trust worthy. If any toyota techs would like to help me out with this issue it would be appreciated trying to make it to the dunes all winter. :beercheers:

I'm not even close to being a Toyota mechanic...or any other mechanic for that matter but.... I had an older toyota truck and it did the same thing and I was told it was the timing chain tensioner. It went away when u rev it up and came back at idle

I'm not even close to being a Toyota mechanic...or any other mechanic for that matter but.... I had an older toyota truck and it did the same thing and I was told it was the timing chain tensioner. It went away when u rev it up and came back at idle

My Brother in law had an older Toytoa p/u that did the same thing. I asked what the ticking was and he said that Toyota's were known for their "Toyota Tick"... Never explained why, and i didnt ask.... :beercheers:

Edited by otis

On our volkswagens the 1.8 turbos will make a loud ticking noise on start up and idle if the cam tensioner is going bad, which is ran off oil pressure. Not sure if its the same with toyotas or not but kinda along the same lines as what dune-rat said.

Your motor will be very different from the old 22R motor noise these guys are talking about.

1) When did the noise start? On a cold start? Going down the road? etc?

2) Is your oil pressure good on the gauge?

3) You say the noise goes away going down the road? Is that just because it is just harder to hear or is it a certain rpm it fades away?

Even though I am not a "Toyota" tech or can do much for ya as far as fixing it, I can take a listen to it and give you my profesional opinion. pm me if ya want.

Sounds like you could have a sticking lifter or some air trapped in one.

Your motor will be very different from the old 22R motor noise these guys are talking about.

1) When did the noise start? On a cold start? Going down the road? etc?

2) Is your oil pressure good on the gauge?

3) You say the noise goes away going down the road? Is that just because it is just harder to hear or is it a certain rpm it fades away?

Even though I am not a "Toyota" tech or can do much for ya as far as fixing it, I can take a listen to it and give you my profesional opinion. pm me if ya want.

Sounds like you could have a sticking lifter or some air trapped in one.

I noticed it when I started my truck after stopping at mountain springs saloon.after driving down the road it quit even when stopped at lights. Oil pressure is still perfect. It has overhead cams and doesn't have hydraulic litters but that is exactly what it sounds like. I thought the same thing so that's why im now thinking the valves need shimed. Thanks for the input everyone.

I noticed it when I started my truck after stopping at mountain springs saloon.after driving down the road it quit even when stopped at lights. Oil pressure is still perfect. It has overhead cams and doesn't have hydraulic litters but that is exactly what it sounds like. I thought the same thing so that's why im now thinking the valves need shimed. Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm not very familiar with that exact motor, but even overhead cam engines have some sort of lifter per say. They are basically cam followers but work the same as a lifter. Try changing the oil and driving it for a while. If it stays, you could try unsticking it with about a pint or quart of ATF in the oil. That is a very old trick that works 99% of the time. Just change your oil afterwards.

I'm not very familiar with that exact motor, but even overhead cam engines have some sort of lifter per say. They are basically cam followers but work the same as a lifter. Try changing the oil and driving it for a while. If it stays, you could try unsticking it with about a pint or quart of ATF in the oil. That is a very old trick that works 99% of the time. Just change your oil afterwards.

Thanx I will definately try this. :trickortreat:

Another old trick but not related to your problem is putting ATF in your fuel tank. The ATF is a cleaner lubricant and cleans your fuel injectors. If you have a large tank you can do a whole quart. On a smaller tank try half a quart.

This is best to do on a day you will be using the whole tank of gas because if for some reason you put too much in the tank it will cause smoke at the tail pipe so you will only have that problem that day.

I have done this as well as other family members and they have noticed 2-4 mpg improvements.