Clutch in VW Rail

Jakster884

Just checking to see how difficult is it to changet he Clutch in my VW Rail. I have changed in other cars but never had to remove the CVS. or do you not have to remove to get the transmission out. Any info would be appreciated. Need to do this weekend. I can post pics if needed.

Remove the engine, clutch will be attached to it. 4 bolts, fuel line disconnected and a couple of wires. Cv's are untouched. Get a friend, each grab a side of the engine and remove. I use a floor jack and a block of wood to do it by myself. Its very easy.

Remove the engine, clutch will be attached to it. 4 bolts, fuel line disconnected and a couple of wires. Cv's are untouched. Get a friend, each grab a side of the engine and remove. I use a floor jack and a block of wood to do it by myself. Its very easy.

yep.....I've only pulled one air-cooled Vdub motor but its very easy. Could probably do it again by myself in less than 20min.

Dont forget to disconnect the throttle cable too, dont want to stretch that out. and the oil pressure line if you have a gauge up front

It's very simple as others have said. Disconnect the throttle cable and any other wires that connect the engine to the car. Put a floor jack under the motor for support. Grab a 17mm wrench and disconnect the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the transmission. If the rear cage is in the way you will have to remove that then walk to motor away from the transmission. Hopefully you don't need to remove the exhaust either. Once the transmission is clear of the motor drop the engine lower to the ground and begin to remove the clutch. About 6 or 8, 13mm bolts hold the clutch on. Take out the bolts and the cluch is off followed by the cluch disc. Inspect the flywheel for burns or heat checks and if all looks good I always use a diegrinder with an abrasive pad and rough up the flexplate where the disc meets the flexplate. This removes the glazing and aids in helping the clutch grip a little better. Install your new clutch and make sure you use a clutch alignment tool. Then just do it all in reverse.

Assuming you have a rear-engine car this whole project should not take more than 3 hours alone or 2 hours with a buddy.