2012 Upgrade for my old tired VW rail

sandawg

I've been semi busy this off season working on my little sand toy. I dropped down the cyl size to 90.5 mm from the old 92 mm. So it's no longer a 2180 but a 2110 cc engine. My turbo set up didn't like the thin walls of the 92's. Lots of problems that I hope to avoid for the next few seasons. I'm now running total seal ring in the second groove to improve compression and blow by from the stock rings.

And with the addition of the little gadget shown in the photo I should be able to run more timing, more boost and still keep the motor cooler. A low cost solution I just didn't think about before.

Very hopeful this really solves my yearly rebuilds for one reason or another.

When a guy can't afford anything but a VW I guess we live with them. Still much cheaper than a big V-8 or even a good Subi or the like.

post-3374-0-71796000-1341517830_thumb.jp

Steam power!

Yup with a shot of 45% Methanol and distilled water. I considered a steam engine but the wood and fire box was just to heavy. Probabllly would have been faster than what I have! :grin:

:usa::old:

Sure am Bert. It was included in the kit and is ajustable from 1 lb to 25 lbs of boost. It's right below the solenoid on the mounting plate Just intend to turn it on at about 2 lbs of boost or maybe 3 depending on how the motor likes it and how much it comes on during my dune rides.

Edited by sandawg

I'm at 6 now and intend to check it out with increased timing first and the injection. If it remains trouble free I might move up to a 10# spring in the waste gate. Not looking for a drag car or big time hill shooter. I just want it to stay together and run a bit faster on my trail rides and run cooler. My compression is at 7.45 to 1 now. Baby steps, no more break downs or wrenching on my trips!

Was talking to Lyle yesterday and he says that the injection is favored on the hiway racing cars he drives now. He said a 1000 Hp motor will pick up 50-75 HP. Cheap HP.

Edited by sandawg

I found some windshield washer fluid made by CAMCO called sindshield de icer rated at 25 below zero that just has the methanol and water with no additives. It is about the 60 40 mix. I've already mixed up the real stuff at a 60 distilled water/ 40 methanol that Lyle gave me but next time it's just the windshield fluid at 2.49 a gallon.

I'm looking forward dto the first trip.

I found some windshield washer fluid made by CAMCO called sindshield de icer rated at 25 below zero that just has the methanol and water with no additives. It is about the 60 40 mix. I've already mixed up the real stuff at a 60 distilled water/ 40 methanol that Lyle gave me but next time it's just the windshield fluid at 2.49 a gallon.

I'm looking forward dto the first trip.

"I'm looking forward dto the first trip"

You been on your first trip for the last 50 years old man!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess your right Terry, not quite 50 but close enough......soon it will be my 40th anniversary duning. Maybe you will be there this year for the Presidents weekend trip. Might do something for my 70th according to Bob and Carolyn. Rumor has it that they do know how to plan and throw a Party.

But you know me...a one shot wonder, one shot and it's time for me to go nighty night... :sleeping:

Edited by sandawg

I guess your right Terry, not quite 50 but close enough......soon it will be my 40th anniversary duning. Maybe you will be there this year for the Presidents weekend trip. Might do something for my 70th according to Bob and Carolyn. Rumor has it that they do know how to plan and throw a Party.

But you know me...a one shot wonder, one shot and it's time for me to go nighty night... :sleeping:

I was just hanging in the pool with the wife talking about maye trying a weekend or more if we like it with you guys on the ridge. Sometimes a move is as good as a rest right?

We would love to have you guys join us Terry. I think the camp drunk and idiot finally got the hint. Not sure though. You know how hard it is to get rid of "Jock Itch" If not, at least there is some entertainment value. Jill and Charlie join us at night sometimes Just watchout if he shows up with his Jagermiester!. As you know we are pretty mellow and are late risers.

Think about it..........great place to camp! If your camp mates don't mind the extra distance to the sand they are welcone too. The more the merrier. Even tho it can be a deverse camp every body does their own thing. when they want to, where they want to etc. etc. Oh, and your grand son is cool too and welcome.

Edited by sandawg

• 1 month later...

Wow! First time I've seen this post as Carolyn and I have been on a 30 day, 4200 mile trip with the 5th wheel to most of the western states. Terry, you and your group are more than welcome to camp on the bluff with us. I'm sure Sandawg has filled you in on the diversity of our group. It would be a lot of fun. Carolyn is having knee surgery on Nov. 15th and you would have a lot in common. See ;you soon, Rocket and Booster . :hello:

• 2 weeks later...

Cant wait to hear about how that window washer fluid rips !!!

Shouldn't be a problem using certain window washer fluids that are rated for about 25 degrees below "0" Just have to read the contents closely to make sure there are no other additives besides methanol and water.! ! ! !

• 4 weeks later...