Help Mazzone Sand Rail

Squirrel702

I just got this Mazzone sandrail for 4000 real nice came with a 1776 duel dellatros 40mm and he said there was a cam in there but he did not remember which one. Here is my ? I am looking for new seats something with a high back and some sort of cushion but the seat that is in there now is just over 17 inches wide and everything I find is 19. I would like to get suspension seats or something more comfortable. Does anybody have a idea where I can find something.

Also these damn carbs are a pain in the a$$ there where set up for a 2180 and I have a flat spot. I know about the sync and I have done that. My ideal is at 28 degrees and my venturies are 36 ideal jets .56 (was.70) air jets 190 was 180. I need help with these things. Would it be best to sell them and buy Empi carbs.

Also what is the big deal about Dellartos over weber or Empi?

I am also thinking about putting in a Subaru motor if it will fit with out any major mods or even just a turbo on this VW any help would be awesome in this department,

I was told there would not be any problems. Hell I would be happy at 130 to 150 Hp right now. Is there any place where I can go like a one stop shop for info and parts. Thank you guys.

The car was being sold on here b4 I bought it.

Be gentle guys I am new to this. I was raised in the dirt and father had a NICE rail that I drove all the time. I have been wanting to get back into the sand so I bought this, my first rail.

post-8130-0-68958100-1341627420_thumb.jp

post-8130-0-06582100-1341627422_thumb.jp

post-8130-0-02029100-1341627423_thumb.jp

post-8130-0-24869800-1341627424_thumb.jp

Dellorto carbs are getting harder to find parts for. Webers are pretty much the norm for VW's. I am not sure if the rear end can hold a subi motor/ radiator on just Marvin Shaw shocks ( I might be wrong on this). Also it might be too much power for that trans unless that is built up. Adding a turbo will definately wake up that car. As far as seats... If you get suspension seats you might have to relocate that steerring shaft to the top of the crossbar, I think you might have issuse with your legs hitting the wheel with the wheel in it's current location.

A 1776 motor is not bad for that size car, Your definatley not going to be the fastest but you should be able to pull any hill no problem. Drop a 2276 in there and that thing will really move along. I had a 2276 in a 4 seat Chenowith and I made it up Comp hill many times with no problems.

Oh yeah-- Carcraft is where you need to look for the VW powerplant improvments. And try removing the seat covers and slide some padding in there and see if you can solve the hard seat issues.

Is the flat spot off idle? Check the accelerator pump shots. See if they are working. I had a flat spot on my Manx off idle and it was that junk 009 distributor. Replaced it with a 034 Vacuum canned one and problem gone.

Edited by FE135

I had a set of lil' sportster suspension seats in my first rail. From what I remember, they are the narrowest suspension seats made.

post-6067-0-60962800-1341671426_thumb.jp

Don't know if the pic helps, but they were awesome!

I also found this link for you:

http://www.redart.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=203&Itemid=21

I think they are 19" as well, so seats may not be an option without a little fabbing on your frame.

All I can say is that I bought a VW rail several years ago and have been working on ever since. My motivation was to get more HP. Changed into Weber 40's and fought with those because of the sand getting into the idle circuit and having to sync them all the time.

Then I opted to go with a single Holley and a turbo set up. That caused me some issues too since the guy that built the turbo system and was suppose to lower the compression screwed up and didn't, causing me to rebuild a fresh motor. Then the thin walled 92 mm cylinders distorted allowing lots of blow by. I'm still in the process of putting the motor back together again for the next season.

So my story ends with if you start to change things like I did it will cost you money, lots of money. So.....get someone to build you a set up and pay well for it from a company that specializes in that kind of up grades. Then look at the tranny problem if you drive it hard. A good tranny will cost you in the neighborhood of 25 hundred. Then as you go faster you will relalize that there isn't enough travel in the swing arm suspension. Mo money.

I would leave it as it is for a season to see if you can get the small irritants fixed and enjoy your new toy. If it blows up or if you decide you want a bigger, faster, better rail buy one then and your not out a lot of money with something you still might not be happy with.

Good luck with what ever you decide. This long boring story is brrought to you by an old f*rt that has been there done that. :rolleyes:

:usa::old:

WOW you guys a freaking awesome. I went to samba.com and nothing not one word of help. As for the Subaru motor, it will be not an issue have seen plenty of them drop a ej20 motor in. As for the Marvin Shaw, I do want to either upgrade them or go to a fox system. I saw another Mazzone that had more suspension out of the back and front but I don't know how far I can take this rear end, Hell right now I would be happy with 10 to 12 inches of travel.

As for the Flat spot, it happens as soon as I hit the throttle but once I get going it just goes since I have close gear ratio, well at least it feels like it lol.

Thank you for that link on the seats.

I am getting some school money that I am dumping right into this car to make it a 2180. I do have a V-8 450hp 390lbs that was going in my Miata but this rail put that on the back burner. So I am selling this motor never been in a car my brother built it for my wedding gift. Bored 30 over no need for a timing chain 4 bolt main 1996 and newer vortech other things have been done brother can't remember and I don't know enough about it. Selling for $1400 obo if anybody knows someone.

Do you guys think it was a good deal for $4000? The motor was brand new and ran once for adjustments and there is a cam in there don't know which one and to nervous to pull it apart since I don't know enough yet. Doing my homework though.

Again I just want to say thank you guys for helping.

Is the flat spot off idle? Check the accelerator pump shots. See if they are working. I had a flat spot on my Manx off idle and it was that junk 009 distributor. Replaced it with a 034 Vacuum canned one and problem gone.

I did change to a accu-fire ignition and got rid of the points.

Is the accel pump shot working when you give it gas? Should dump gas immediately. If not, that's your problem. Those are big carbs for a 1776, which is a relatively small VW motor. When you hit the gas, that is a lot of air being dumped in. Need lots of gas to compensate. Look for play in the linkage, shouldn't be any.

On a side note and in my opinion, I wouldn't mess with VW's anymore. Not since engines like the Ecotec can be had fully equipped for less than the price of any quality VW stroker motor. About 160 hp all day, reliable, parts availability, no adjustments all the time, turbo options. The only reason my Manx still runs a VW is because it hasn't died yet. I don't beat it up either. Nowadays, VW engines are for purists and old schoolers. They are not cheap anymore and replacement parts are junk.

I agree I have been looking into the Ecotec motors and find Subaru, Honda, Nissan complete motors for 800 to 1000 including wires turbos everything. I do have a bus trans with IRS rear end from what I was told.

Also there is no play in the linkage. I just found out that I have been syncing them wrong. I have been syncing just the front two and not all four due to that I read that on AIRCOOLED.NET I believe.

Edited by Squirrel702

Is the accel pump shot working when you give it gas? Should dump gas immediately. If not, that's your problem. Those are big carbs for a 1776, which is a relatively small VW motor. When you hit the gas, that is a lot of air being dumped in. Need lots of gas to compensate. Look for play in the linkage, shouldn't be any.

On a side note and in my opinion, I wouldn't mess with VW's anymore. Not since engines like the Ecotec can be had fully equipped for less than the price of any quality VW stroker motor. About 160 hp all day, reliable, parts availability, no adjustments all the time, turbo options. The only reason my Manx still runs a VW is because it hasn't died yet. I don't beat it up either. Nowadays, VW engines are for purists and old schoolers. They are not cheap anymore and replacement parts are junk.

I totallly agree Neal.............