oregons rider safety education card

vegas style

just took the oregon online safety/education course so i could be legal riding my atc70 around dunefest! we started chatting about it in the shout box so i started this thread.

oregon has a safety education card that is mandatory for everyone 50 and younger riding a bike trike or quad. sxs 4x4s and sand rails fall under other rules mainly tied to your drivers license and driving laws. the class is online and took about 1 1/2 hour to finish and maybe a 1/2 hour to set up my account. the course was very repetitive but i guess thats how kids learn was hard for me to stay focused. something like 11 chapters with short quizs after then a 48 question final test with many of the same questions. it is geared more toward kids and the people that supervise them. everyone under 16 must be supervised by a adult 18 years old or older. the supervisor must also have a safety card. and a parent of a unsupervised child could be charged with child endangerment. the way it is written they say the supervisor should be able to immediately render advice and aid. seems like a over the top law and 16 is kind of old for needing constant supervising. BUT i would love to see a lot of the absent parents at dumont be required to take the safety/education course pay attention to what there kids are doing and to have consequences. a lot of laws about age and fitment. for being able to safely dive a SxSs right now you basically need a valid drivers license. the one strange law is under18 you must wear a helmet over its not required.

Utah has a similar law if you are visiting for a period of less than 30 days and can't go to one of their riding courses. Garret took it so he would be legal but yeah it's a little over the top but it would be nice to find a way to stop the "ATV Babysitting " that goes on out tere.

Utah has a similar law if you are visiting for a period of less than 30 days and can't go to one of their riding courses. Garret took it so he would be legal but yeah it's a little over the top but it would be nice to find a way to stop the "ATV Babysitting " that goes on out tere.

I feel like the Utah course is nothing more than a money machine for them. They tell me that my older sons national motorcycle safety cert is not recognized by them, or that the one that both of my boys have from California is not as well. They say I need to take the course for my soon to be 8 year old and pay them the 40 per each cert fee and then they can ride. They are just getting more creative in ways to make money.

Edited by Marble MD

just took the oregon online safety/education course so i could be legal riding my atc70 around dunefest! we started chatting about it in the shout box so i started this thread.

oregon has a safety education card that is mandatory for everyone 50 and younger riding a bike trike or quad. sxs 4x4s and sand rails fall under other rules mainly tied to your drivers license and driving laws. the class is online and took about 1 1/2 hour to finish and maybe a 1/2 hour to set up my account. the course was very repetitive but i guess thats how kids learn was hard for me to stay focused. something like 11 chapters with short quizs after then a 48 question final test with many of the same questions. it is geared more toward kids and the people that supervise them. everyone under 16 must be supervised by a adult 18 years old or older. the supervisor must also have a safety card. and a parent of a unsupervised child could be charged with child endangerment. the way it is written they say the supervisor should be able to immediately render advice and aid. seems like a over the top law and 16 is kind of old for needing constant supervising. BUT i would love to see a lot of the absent parents at dumont be required to take the safety/education course pay attention to what there kids are doing and to have consequences. a lot of laws about age and fitment. for being able to safely dive a SxSs right now you basically need a valid drivers license. the one strange law is under18 you must wear a helmet over its not required.

The oblivious knuckleheads who let their kids run free at the dunes are not going to take a safety course, period. You simply can't fix stupid. I don't like such regulations as the only people who are going to adhere and actually take the course are not the ones whom let their kids run free. My son is 14, if you are going to supervise him in the dunes, you will be putting yourself at risk... I've always found a little humor in the fact that if my kids want to put around on a 70 they need to be supervised but they can take a 500hp sand rail for a spin (or side X side), no problem.. :beerpint:

the course was free so i bet they lose money on there program. ill be up there for a week over dune fest it will be interesting to see

A. do the LEOs in force it? B. are people informed? C. does it seems safer? we will see.

raspadoo yea like i said 16 is too old for needing constant supervising. but i do like the SxS law no one under 16 (unless in a vehicle built by the manufacture designed for a child (RZR170)) and the need to have a drivers license. that also covers jeeps and sand rails.

i don't think any state has it right (arizona is the best IMO) but it all comes down to enforcement. there is a lot of laws at Dumont wish were enforced then there are some I'm glad they don't.

I think the Oregon and some other programs might help a few people. There are some people that just don't know and might learn something. Overall i have to agree that many people aren't going to pay any attention. This is most likely one of those enforce it if you ask to be messed with but not something they are really going to look for. They may if your in the parking lot and they are bored.

i just hate how they force all the kids crap on people that don't have kids. The DMV does the same crap with baby seats and stuff... i have no idea what weight or hieght babay should be in what seat. I don't have kids. I almost failed the damn test cause of those damn questions.