Hey Rap, GoPro question

flavtfan

been tooling around apex to take some footage so that my next trip to dumont i don't waste all my time fooling around with the gopro. i'm trying to learn tooling around in vegas so that my trips to dumont etc i can get some good stuff. question is, sometimes, it looks like my footage when i play it back on my computer is in fast forward or something. what do you normally set yours on? i had it on 720p 30 today on accident, meant to have it on 720p 60. do the megapixels matter? i'm running 11mp at the moment. sometimes my footage just doesn't look very smooth, like it's in fast forward or something. also, not sure what happend but i mounted it to my rear grab bar and when i got done with my best run of the day and an awesome jump heading up a hill(i very rarely jump) i got back to my truck and noticed it said SD not installed...weird. i also came around a turn and a dude was taking a dump and i whipped the rear end around to get a little footage haha.

instructions? haha. j/k. it seems to work ok, it's the editing that takes some work. but there are some times when it looks like it's sped up. i took it to dumont a couple weeks ago when i first got it, and forgot to turn it on sometimes, hit the power button too many times, etc etc. haha.

i never use the 60fps, it just isn't worth it. I had to use Quicktime to get the 60fps play, window media doesnt play it right, and it gets confused. My editing program didn't have an issue with the 60fps, but either way i don't think it's worth it. try using quicktime for anything 60fps though, or a different program.

I had an issue with my Gopro when i mounted it to the bike where the vibration was so bad it would mess with the video card. I am guessing that since it was mounted to the grab bar, that was the issue. Too much vibration. Gopro actually sent me a brand new camera under warranty. I still get weird audio and shakey video when i mount the camera on my heal gaurd but i like the shots too much, so i just clip it out. I want at least 2 cameras, so i can have one on my helmet all the time for audio and just edit it all together.

the MP only matters when you are taking still pictures, the video is controlled only by the Video settings, such as the 720 30fps.

PS... Sorry you have to resort to riding at Apex. I started there, but it sucks now. I may end up going there when i get my new suspension on for a test run. but i also don't want to scratch up my new stuff in that sh*t hole... litterally.. lol

Edited by Rap_Rider

PS... Sorry you have to resort to riding at Apex. I started there, but it sucks now. I may end up going there when i get my new suspension on for a test run. but i also don't want to scratch up my new stuff in that sh*t hole... litterally.. lol

I hate hearing people talk like this about Apex (or any other riding area for that matter). There's nothing wrong with that place. It has a great mix of trails out there. Sounds like you are a sand-only kind of rider, Adam. You are SO above that place now. :rolleyes::nah:

Sorry flavfan, :offtopic: , but I had to chime in abut that.

i never use the 60fps, it just isn't worth it. I had to use Quicktime to get the 60fps play, window media doesnt play it right, and it gets confused. My editing program didn't have an issue with the 60fps, but either way i don't think it's worth it. try using quicktime for anything 60fps though, or a different program.

I had an issue with my Gopro when i mounted it to the bike where the vibration was so bad it would mess with the video card. I am guessing that since it was mounted to the grab bar, that was the issue. Too much vibration. Gopro actually sent me a brand new camera under warranty. I still get weird audio and shakey video when i mount the camera on my heal gaurd but i like the shots too much, so i just clip it out. I want at least 2 cameras, so i can have one on my helmet all the time for audio and just edit it all together.

the MP only matters when you are taking still pictures, the video is controlled only by the Video settings, such as the 720 30fps.

cool man thanks, i guess i'll try mounting reverse mounting it on my helmet. i do like the shots you have on your heel guard, trying to find a place on mine for that setup. i like to go out to apex to test out stuff before i make a trip all the way out to dumont and then not like what i've changed. i also like to just get out and ride even if i'm not riding hard.

I have a few videos with the Gopro mounted backwards on my helmet, it works fine. Just different angle and when you move your head around it looks werd. One of my youttube Dumont videos has video taken this way though, so it is usable.

I have a flat mount stuck on the back upright part of my heal guards. I have tusk heal guards with a flat surface. I tried using the crappy Gopro seat post mount and the tire hit it so i just said screw it and stuck the mount on there. It's not that noticeable, and for me the shots are worth it.

@Pete... I dented a wheel on a rock at Apex so i dont like it... LOL. I am sand addicted really though. plus i'm lazy and don't want to change my tires.

yeah i actually mounted some mounts today, one on the back of my helmet and one on my the front side of my heel rest...may relocate that one though....don't like the way it looks hahah. i have pro armor nerfs so they don't come straight up in the heel, they come inward....Edit(i relocated the mount and put a new one behind the heel guard, you can see a little bit of it in the bottom of my vid but not that bad. now i just worry of it breaking off and losing the camera. i might actually put a piece of safety wire on the case and secure it to the nerf bar somehow so if it does vibrate and break it will have a safety line holding it) i didn't go out today, too much football....but i'm going back out tomorrow to try the new angles....the heel guard one probably won't work due to the amount of vibration from the rough terrain but i'm going to try out the rear helmet mount. i'm definitely going out there when i get my elkas because what better place than apex to tell if you've really upgraded your suspension or not haha.

Edited by flavtfan

I just use the mount on top of my helmet for most of my video, and the video i took backwards was from that same mount.

one other mount that i have, that i like, is a mount on the bottom of the airbox for a rear facing shot. The camera hits the rear shock/ link so i don't use it much now. I have some video posted from it though. You see the rear tires, sprocket and brakes. its a great sand kick up view from the paddles.

It's always a good idea to secure the Gopro to a second point. I need to do something, but haven't yet.

as for the mounts i was talking about the stick pads. i got one on the side of my helmet, the back, and one on the rear heel guard now. i think i might be able to turn the gopro around on that spot behind the heel guard and get some reverse footage over the rear tire...not sure though.

my 2nd and 3rd clips the SD card popped out just a little bit and the video didn't take.....which sucked because i hit a sweet a$$ jump....probably my best ever and I don't jump much at all. It would have looked sweet from this angle. i've put a little foam sticker inside the case and I think it will keep the SD card from sliding out a little. I guess the vibration does it. This vid was my second ever edit. Edited by flavtfan

That view from behind the heal guard makes it hard to see down. There is no true right answer of course, but i like to see the bottom of the front tire in the sand. Not sure that's even possible anyway with the nurf bars on there. I've gotten to where i like to have something show infront of the camera, like the visor or something. for reference.

That sucks the video card is giving issues. hopefully you have a fix for it. that vibration is a killer for the cameras.

it's hard to get the Gopro to translate what a jump really looks like, or feels like, unless you are balls out crazy jumping. I pretty jump about the max i think i ever really will now, and it's nothing compared to what the supercross guys do every lap.

if you mount on a spot that gets a constant somewhat even vibration it seems to confuse the stabilization. like a plastic rear fender over the paddle.you get a weird electric noise on the film and audio. need to use the rubber isolator with the permanent stick on mounts. find the best videos are made with different angles and perspectives. i edit with iMovie on my iMac.

• 1 month later...

I have been using a 16gb recording in 720p 30fps. I always bring my laptop with me and transfer after each day of riding. I am usually at about 8-10GB on it and that is about 3-4 or so.

It's very deciving how much time you actually ride when out there. I stop the camera most of the time for any length stoppage time while out in the dunes. it saves space and makes editing easier.