What size turbo 3.2L acura?

chris&hol

Hey, i think some of you guys are running the honda 3.5 or acura 3.2L which i have. I would like to slap a turbo on it although not familiar with turbo sizes. Only 8 psi max. Stock ecu or custom or piggyback? Any help greatly appreciated. Happy new year!

Hey, i think some of you guys are running the honda 3.5 or acura 3.2L which i have. I would like to slap a turbo on it although not familiar with turbo sizes. Only 8 psi max. Stock ecu or custom or piggyback? Any help greatly appreciated. Happy new year!

I'm not running your style motor but the first thing to check out prior to turboing it is if you need to lower the compression. It is said thet each pound of boost raises the compression by one point. ie. 8-1 compression stock could potentially be 16-1 at 8 lbs of boost. I run 7.4-1 with a max of 5.4 lbs. of boost making it 12.8-1 on stock VW inerds. I just don't stay in it very long at max. You would be surprized how much difference a couple of pounds of boost makes.

I personally don't see anything over a T-3 sized turbo being needed. If you want to go fast and strong consider a t-3/T-4 Hybrid. If you want more then the following:

I would reccomend a tunable ECU, turbo cam, larger injectors and a change in fuel pressure and delivery volume.

To be safer and add a little extra poop then alcohol/water injection. 50-50 water and methanol. Dopppn't forget an intercooler.

Be carefull and enjoy your project.

Edited by sandawg

I'm running a 3.5L honda with a T4 turbo. stock compression, stock ECU. 10 lbs boost. 110 octane Race fuel MINIMUM.

My last motor lasted 7 years. There's 5 turbo 3.5L hondas in our group and we've all had great luck with them.

Might wanna get a hold of Carl at Vtec performance. He knows these motors and turbos. He'll have most all ur answers.

Let us know how it's going, And like SandaWg said " Be careful and enjoy your project." :old:

R-

t3 and t4 are only the exhuast housing bolt pattern. There are 1000's of each turbo. An option is always e85 now for fuel which dramatically cuts the cost of operation. Besides needing control of the injection you need tuning ability of the ignition to do it right. If you want reliable, look at intercooling , and (water/math) or straight water. I run 91 octane up to 14 psi on 10 to 1 engines....but I ve been doing it a long time.

"t3 and t4 are only the exhuast housing bolt pattern. There are 1000's of each turbo."

post-3374-0-01915300-1357161691_thumb.jp

T04B , T04E

This information is off the Turbonetics web site

The T3/T4 Hybrid turbochargers consist of a T3 turbine section, (F1-49, F1-54, F1-57, F1-62) and a T4 compressor section (T04B trim, T04E trim & 60-Series). This combination offers the low inertia and fast boost response of the lightweight T3 turbine wheel and the high-airflow characteristics of the T4 compressor family.

Did I mis-understand what you were saying about it not being an available Turbocharger.

Edited by sandawg
  • Like 1

Wow thats alot to get started with. Thank you. Im definetly gonna try to stop by vtech performance this week. Thanks for the leads. Im really looking forward to this motor now that the turbo vw is in the past. Finishing headers ill try to post pics.

I'm running a 3.5L honda with a T4 turbo. stock compression, stock ECU. 10 lbs boost. 110 octane Race fuel MINIMUM.

My last motor lasted 7 years. There's 5 turbo 3.5L hondas in our group and we've all had great luck with them.

Might wanna get a hold of Carl at Vtec performance. He knows these motors and turbos. He'll have most all ur answers.

Let us know how it's going, And like SandaWg said " Be careful and enjoy your project." :old:

R-

Wow, dont ask why i assumed they where here in vegas. In salem . 

"t3 and t4 are only the exhuast housing bolt pattern. There are 1000's of each turbo."

post-3374-0-01915300-1357161691_thumb.jp

T04B , T04E

This information is off the Turbonetics web site

The T3/T4 Hybrid turbochargers consist of a T3 turbine section, (F1-49, F1-54, F1-57, F1-62) and a T4 compressor section (T04B trim, T04E trim & 60-Series). This combination offers the low inertia and fast boost response of the lightweight T3 turbine wheel and the high-airflow characteristics of the T4 compressor family.

Did I mis-understand what you were saying about it not being an available Turbocharger.

Yes, any turbo company can call anything they sell anything they want. The disco potato comes to mind. Turbonetics also sells a" stage three" turbo....there isnt actually a stage three turbo.....theres just a box a parts that every turbo company puts together to get their desired effect. A t4 exhaust housing could have any number of shafts in it, any number of compressor housings, even the t4 exhaust housing change from tangential to on center, with all other things being the same. You could have two identical to4's and just the change from on center to tang does change the turbo.(tang makes slightly more power).

T4 is mearly the bolt pattern designation of teh exhaust housing. to4b is different but not entirely specific. It designates a wheel or trim but does not designate ar ratio of either the compressor or the turbine. So even then you could have 10 or 20 different combinations.

I have a few turbos on the shelves and few apart if you ever want to stop by and see what I mean. You can also get into the debate of weather you should run a divided housing or not. I use to run open housings, because they do support more power, but with the advent of the quick spool valve, you can up size the turbo significantly with no down side in drivability. Turbo companies dont care about that though because most turbo set ups make enough power anyways and they sell turbos.

You said it yourself, their ad says.......t3/t4. Its a t3 exhaust housing so it uses a t3 bolt pattern, with a list of possible compressors and turbines that they use in their t4 exhaust housing turbos, but they squeeze it into a t3 housing. Thats why all the choices. And thats just what they sell. Every other turbo maker is getting their own wheels made now, and still trimming and clipping and milling and boring.

There are literally 1000's of possible t4 turbos.

Yea I have a small shop. I ve been doing turbo stuff since buick grand nationals. Infact Bert.....if your reading.....drop off my throttle body.

You can come by anytime, lots of different projects going on all the time. Pm me a ph number and Ill text you so you can stop by.

Current projects are a twin turbo lsx g35.....big single in a 57....and about half a dozen lsx engine builds.

R-

I contacted Carl @ Vtech Perf. He offers 2 parts needed to be able to run stock ecu with turbo but was witholding what two parts included. I understand he in business to make money and why tell me what they are just to have myself hunt the parts down myself. Im pretty sure it is a FMU (fuel management unit) but unaware of the other part.

If you dont mind what are you running to be able to run stock ecu with turbo max 8psi. FMU? etc....

Thank You. Also hears acouple pics of the headers I finished welding last night. Doing a turbo behind the motor arrangement.

post-4817-0-43259800-1357760717_thumb.jp

post-4817-0-44956900-1357760762_thumb.jp

I contacted Carl @ Vtech Perf. He offers 2 parts needed to be able to run stock ecu with turbo but was witholding what two parts included. I understand he in business to make money and why tell me what they are just to have myself hunt the parts down myself. Im pretty sure it is a FMU (fuel management unit) but unaware of the other part.

If you dont mind what are you running to be able to run stock ecu with turbo max 8psi. FMU? etc....

Thank You. Also hears acouple pics of the headers I finished welding last night. Doing a turbo behind the motor arrangement.

Why would you not buy the parts from him if he has the knowledge and means to make it happen? Just saying that free advice is one thing and being in business is another. If he can help you, give the man your business and you have a person who you can call on for help anytime through the process. Can't imigine his price on the equiptment would be that much than you spending your time and error on it?

Terry

• Like 1

Thats my plan. I just didnt understand what he was offering me. He said it was the two parts needed to do what I want with motor. I was just confused as to what he was using, I amagine thats everyone first search for something there getting into ( assume the parts myself and struggle for a month trying figure out, or buy parts slightly higher in cost and slap together and move on) Im goinig to order parts as we speak. I let ya know what comes in box?

Yes, an FMU is required to increase fuel pressure under boost by cutting off the fuel return line flow.

Also you'll need a "missing link". it goes under the map sensor. it's basically a check valve.

Not totally sure what exactally Carl was taking about, but I know those two are needed for the system.

I agree with what Terry said about business and knowledge.

Our group has bought quite a bit of stuff from Carl. He's helpped us many times.

Carl has a great deal of knowledge and is a great asset to your team.

Keep him happy and he'll help keep you runnin'.... :driver:

R-

BTW: Those headders look sweet! great job. :thumb:

Edited by Randog

• 1 month later...

Ok, so Engine is running Normal Aspiration right now so i can get some trips in on the season pass I purchased. Fired engine up for first time earlier last week and right away had weird miss at idle only. I assumed first off it was a o2 sensor that I foolishly forgot to weld in to the exhaust but after fixing that still crappy missing idle. So i borrowed a buddy of mines OBD code reader and it showed P1519 Idle Air Control Vavle Circuit Failure. So after hours of research trying to find out where it was located on the throttle body and why i was not seeing it, I shockingly realized it bolts right to the bottom of the TB right where the engine builder (Doomsday Motorsports , Phoenix AZ) had welded in a block off plate??? Ive had numerous calls into them with non-supriseingly failure to return calls. First Question, any of you 3.2- 3.5 guys running IAC Valve under Throttle bodie? Sencondlly Would like to save anyone the frustration of dealing with these guys as I have. They Have multiple ads on craigslist (shoot myself for going that route) I guess when the deal sounds to good , IT IS!! Thanks for any feedback.

• 8 months later...

So Chris, how about an update? I am getting ready to install a Turbonetics t3/t4 on my Honda 3.5 and was wanting to get all of my ducks in a row before i start. I have been looking at what others have done to make their systems better but not much talked about when starting from scratch. I have my plumbing pretty much figured out, I am going with a stock ECU, run 5ish lbs of boost and gonna mix race fuel for the rest of the season (i have been getting conflicting advise whether 91 is adequate) and maybe upgrade to a stand alone next summer. I looked on eBay for a "missing link" and couldn't find one for a 3.5 application, which one did you go with? did you get a ball bearing or bushing turbo? did you run water lines? (if so why or why not?) I heard that some people were disconnecting their V-Tec, did you?(again why or why not?). Fuel management unit... OBX? JDM? 10:1?.....Injectors?....BOV?.....wow, a lot of questions, sorry bro. Anyone wanting to put in their :2cents: is more than welcome. If i missed anything, please feel free

Thanks in advance