trunnion vs. round bar weight dist. hitches

dunefreak

I am looking to get a new hitch because mine is worn out. (I have the round bar setup) The holes where the bars plug in are all worn out and one of the bars is ground down half way through (thanks to lvnalolife :laughoff::laughing: j/k).

I want to buy a more heavy-duty one than the one I currently have...or at least one that will last.

What is the difference between the trunnion style hitches and the round bar type hitches?

I know what they both look like, but have never used a trunion style one. Are there any pros or cons to this style WD hitch? I don't want to buy another p.o.s. hitch where the head is gonna wear the hell out in no time. :laughing:

Any help is appreciated.

BTW...this is the one I'm looking at....click

If you would stop doing tricks on tecopa road it wouldnt wear out so fast.. LOL

It was worn out when I got it. Besides the cast head wears out quickly...just like Steveo's not-so-old one too. The old ones that didn't wear out so quickly were steel, not cast.

But I hear ta about the tricks...I don't go so fast over the big stuff anymore. :laughing::laughoff::laughing:

I am looking to get a new hitch because mine is worn out. (I have the round bar setup) The holes where the bars plug in are all worn out and one of the bars is ground down half way through (thanks to lvnalolife :laughoff::laughing: j/k).

I want to buy a more heavy-duty one than the one I currently have...or at least one that will last.

What is the difference between the trunnion style hitches and the round bar type hitches?

I know what they both look like, but have never used a trunion style one. Are there any pros or cons to this style WD hitch? I don't want to buy another p.o.s. hitch where the head is gonna wear the hell out in no time. :laughing:

Any help is appreciated.

BTW...this is the one I'm looking at....click

Don't know much about the hitches themselves but if you are not a Presidents club member at Camping world let me know and you can use my card.

It was worn out when I got it. Besides the cast head wears out quickly...just like Steveo's not-so-old one too. The old ones that didn't wear out so quickly were steel, not cast.

But I hear ta about the tricks...I don't go so fast over the big stuff anymore. :laughing::laughoff::laughing:

I know that they wear out pretty quickly every other season or 2.. which kinda sucks... but if you tow alot expect it to wear out... The diffrences between the trunion and round bar i couldnt tell you... It looks like the roundbar is easier to setup from the pictures i see floating around... My suggestion would be to swing into RV.net and read up in some of their forums and see what they say?

Found this on DrawTite's website:

Tech Tip: Trunnion Bar weight distributing systems offer a greater load capacity than round bar systems.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if they were a super pain in the a$$ or not.

Reese Dual Cam sway bar setup uses the Trunion style bars... ?? might be another option w/ the Dual Cam sway stuff.. keep that monster straight!

I'm not worried about sway. It only sways when your freakin Samurai is in the back! :laughing::laughing:

Wow, you guys are a world of knowledge! :laughing:

If you don't know....then why post? :laughing:

Well, I just got back from Camping World. I bought the trunnion style 1200 lb bar hitch and it seems really nice. It almost seems easier to use that the round bars. :D

I'll see how it works tonight. I have some work cut out for me now.

Wow, you guys are a world of knowledge! :laughing:

If you don't know....then why post? :laughoff:

Well, I just got back from Camping World. I bought the trunnion style 1200 lb bar hitch and it seems really nice. It almost seems easier to use that the round bars. :D

I'll see how it works tonight. I have some work cut out for me now.

Pete, might be a dumb question, but why go with a 1200lb when the hitches on our trailers are supposed to be 1400lb tongue weight? :laughing:

By the way, let me know what you want me to throw your way to help since I did grind down the old bar a little!

Edited by lvnalolife

Pete, might be a dumb question, but why go with a 1200lb when the hitches on our trailers are supposed to be 1400lb tongue weight? :laughoff:

By the way, let me know what you want me to throw your way to help since I did grind down the old bar a little!

First off, the tongue weight of those trailers isn't rated at 1400 lbs. Where did you see that? I read just under 1000 lbs in my brochure. :laughing:

Either way, 1400 lbs or not- you don't need bars that meet or exceed the trailer's tongue weight. The bars ratings are for the amount of lift you get off the tongue. You still want tongue weight, otherwise it would tow like crap. I gaurantee your bars are probably only rated for 1000 lbs, which is the rating on most round bar setups.

Oh and don't worry about the money at all, I needed a hitch anyways. :laughing:

I consider myself an expert on this topic and the trunnion hitch is the way to go.

Thanks Mr. Expert Hitch Guy. :laughoff::blink:

If it's the way to go, why don't you have one? :finger::laughing:

I installed mine tonight and it's pretty nice. Although now I have to buy a lower drop hitch. :laughoff::dunno: Damn, it just never stops!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :laughing:

First off, the tongue weight of those trailers isn't rated at 1400 lbs. Where did you see that? I read just under 1000 lbs in my brochure. :beercheers:

Either way, 1400 lbs or not- you don't need bars that meet or exceed the trailer's tongue weight. The bars ratings are for the amount of lift you get off the tongue. You still want tongue weight, otherwise it would tow like crap. I gaurantee your bars are probably only rated for 1000 lbs, which is the rating on most round bar setups.

Oh and don't worry about the money at all, I needed a hitch anyways. :shocked2:

I stand corrected. :shocked: It must have been the Fury I was looking at with the heavier tongue weight. No wonder my truck barely sags then! 975lb tongue weight is cool.

Oh Yeah, I'll bring you a twelve pack of Bud Select to say thanks for letting me grind down the distribution bar! :rockwoot:

I stand corrected. :laughoff: It must have been the Fury I was looking at with the heavier tongue weight. No wonder my truck barely sags then! 975lb tongue weight is cool.

Oh Yeah, I'll bring you a twelve pack of Bud Select to say thanks for letting me grind down the distribution bar! :laughoff:

Make it Bud Light :laughoff::laughoff: