2013 Chevy 2500HD

hello DDR-

I have been off the site for a while. I have been stationed out east in Georgia for the better part of 4 years. I was just wondering if it would wise to trade in my 2006 Chevy 2500 for a 2013 Chevy 2500. the dealer was taking some good numbers. just looking for inputs, pros, cons of keeping the 06 or trading up to the 13?

2006 w/94000 miles, leveling kit, 315/70/17 on H2 wheels, RBP 4" turbo back, KnN intake, Diablo sport tunner

post-2889-0-20948400-1369972134_thumb.jp

for the 2006 the dealer is going to give 23000, the 2013 has a sticker of 56000 :saywha: . but the military discount and the sale they have going on will drop off another 8500. I just don't know that much about the new LML Duramax

I say keep the 06 LBZ. Thats a great year and will last 400,000mi with a few easy mods. Might need some injectors and head gaskets and studs around 200k but it will keep on going. We make a filter adapter that screws on the stock fuel filter base and then you can screw on a 2 micron CAT fuel filter to the adapter. This brings the fuel filtration from 6-8 micron (OEM filter) to 2 micron (CAT filter). We see longer injector life, smoother running engines and longer intervals since its a larger filter. On top of all that the CAT filters are only $18. Put a good EFI live tune on that 06 and get 20-22mpg all day long and same or more power then a LML.

The LML will end up costing you more in the long run due to so many more parts, DPF exhaust that will eventually fail and leave you stranded plus if the dealership doesnt warranty will cost $8000 to replace and yes you have to fill er up with UREA cow pizzz which isnt cheap. On the 07.5-2011 trucks they used to use fuel from the fuel tank to burn the soot in the dpf which caused sh*tty fuel mileage so the goverments solution was UREA which you have to buy to fill up a seperate tank and thats what now burns the soot. Sure the mileage came back up but at the expense of your pocket book so your really not saving anything.

• Like 2

I have a 2010 and wish I would have kept my 06

Damn that sucks! We hear that a lot. The 06-07 LBZ is the best trucks IMO. The 05s have a ton of issues and the 01-04 LB7 is my favorite but injector issues and since the injectors are under the valve covers it makes it hard for people to work on. The 05 and up injectors are outside the valve covers and easy to swap out. The 07.5-10 LMM are real good but the DPF chokes them down and gives them poor mileage. The offroad package on the LMM models make them run like champs though and we see 22mpg out of them with our package off road of course :)

2005's have a ton of issues? What?

The 05 is like the black sheep. Its the LLY motor made only from 04.5-05. They run hot due to necked down piping which they fixed in 06. The turbo inlet pipe is super tiny so it doesnt get enough air into the turbo. There was a TSB on the injector harness #2 and #7 injector connectors would rub through real easy and cause the injectors to short out and make the truck run like a John Deere tractor. The dealer sells a "injector harness fix kit" (GM part# 98017958) for the LLY it has new harness you splice inplace of the crappy #2 and #7 connectors. There is also another spot behind the alternator that will rub through the injector harness. This was also the first year of the EGR system (besides the Cali emissions LB7 which was only sold in Cali) and that also caused alot of issues. Because of the small turbo inlet pipe the turbo sucks oil through the PCV tubes even more then the 06 and up models so the 05 LLY intercooler pipes and intercooler gets extra oily inside. This was also the last year of the Delphi computer ECM which is not as good (older technology and slower operating) as the Bosch computer ECM that came out in 06 on the LBZ model. We get a lot of 05 LLYs in the shop for head issues, injector issues and blown head gaskets. Much more then any other year. The tubo inlet piece from S&B and the cold air intake works wonders on the LLY truck. Do a PCV reroute on it too and if you do do it flush out the intercooler and pipes cause they will be covered in oil very bad. We can also make it run much better with a EFI tow/mileage tune :)

Edited by nwtdiesel

:laughing: I own an 05 and I've been a master GM dealer tech for the past 13 years. ;)

Most of the issues you mentioned are small and easily fixed. Throw on a set of 2/7 injector connectors, pull the zip tie off the alt/ FICM bracket and you're good to go. I haven't had any issues with mine. Doesn't run hot (that was a certain # of late 04/early 05's) and pulls my big a$$ 35' hauler anywhere I need it to go. I would like to gain mpg and get cooler EGT's for towing. I'll be talking with you soon.

I, personally, have seen quite a few more issues with the 06-07.5's than 05's. Lots of turbos, EGR valves and EGR coolers.

I say keep the 06 LBZ. Thats a great year and will last 400,000mi with a few easy mods. Might need some injectors and head gaskets and studs around 200k but it will keep on going. We make a filter adapter that screws on the stock fuel filter base and then you can screw on a 2 micron CAT fuel filter to the adapter. This brings the fuel filtration from 6-8 micron (OEM filter) to 2 micron (CAT filter). We see longer injector life, smoother running engines and longer intervals since its a larger filter. On top of all that the CAT filters are only $18. Put a good EFI live tune on that 06 and get 20-22mpg all day long and same or more power then a LML.

The LML will end up costing you more in the long run due to so many more parts, DPF exhaust that will eventually fail and leave you stranded plus if the dealership doesnt warranty will cost $8000 to replace and yes you have to fill er up with UREA cow pizzz which isnt cheap. On the 07.5-2011 trucks they used to use fuel from the fuel tank to burn the soot in the dpf which caused sh*tty fuel mileage so the goverments solution was UREA which you have to buy to fill up a seperate tank and thats what now burns the soot. Sure the mileage came back up but at the expense of your pocket book so your really not saving anything.

Even though they have Urea now they still burn fuel to clean the DPF...The Urea is to lower NOx as the lean mixture in the cat causes NOx.

Edited by sanddunesaddict

I have a 06 LLY that runs at a higher fuel pressure than the 05 LLY 23k psi vs's 26 psi. Is mine the black sheep too?? I do not have the delfi ECM, nNor hve I ever had overheating problems. I have the BOSCH PCM , Just courious what you oponion is on this model?? You see to have lots of info!!

:laughing: I own an 05 and I've been a master GM dealer tech for the past 13 years. ;)

Most of the issues you mentioned are small and easily fixed. Throw on a set of 2/7 injector connectors, pull the zip tie off the alt/ FICM bracket and you're good to go. I haven't had any issues with mine. Doesn't run hot (that was a certain # of late 04/early 05's) and pulls my big a$$ 35' hauler anywhere I need it to go. I would like to gain mpg and get cooler EGT's for towing. I'll be talking with you soon.

I, personally, have seen quite a few more issues with the 06-07.5's than 05's. Lots of turbos, EGR valves and EGR coolers.

Yea i agree small and easy fixes if you know about them but can be major and cost lots of $ in tow bills and repair if you dont know crap about diesels and you end up having these issues out in the middle of know where in 110* temps with the family in the back seat while pulling a trailer lol. Usually how that works :) Plus some shops dont even know about the harness issues and end up mis diagnosing the problem for bad injectors or bad wire harness. I have had customers come in with a 05 (couple times) saying they just spend $$$$ at such and such shop and they cant figure it out. I dont have the heart to tell them a $200 kit that takes 30mins to install was the issue. Or that its just a wire rubbing and we fixed it with some electrical tape.

Thats crazy you get more 06-07 LBZ trucks in your shop for repair. We easily get two 05s for every 06-07 for repair issues. Maybe even three times as many. The 05 is the only truck too that has twice given us hell getting the #7 injector out of the hole. One time we had a #7 injector stuck in the hole so bad it took us 2 days just to get the injector out. We literally had all the weight of the motor being held by the one injector. I couldnt believe it.

We also had a 05 one time that went to most every shop in town for diag and repair for a issue it had. Nobody could figure it out. The truck would run great then start cutting out and running real bad then run great again. The rail pressure would max out at 31,000psi which made everyone think it was a pressure regulator on the cp3. After he spent thousands and thousands of $$$ all over town we found the issue. Took us a minute to figure it out but we found it. Problem was a bad pin in one of the two main harness connectors under the hood. The pin seat was broke so when the two connectors were pushed together the pin would just slide back in the harness not making a good connection. We have also had a couple 05s needing a new power wire ran to the TCM from the ECM. For some reason that wire shorts out and cause erratic shifting and slamming into gears even while driving. We had a customer who went to a few trans shops in Cali and they all said it was internal so he built his trans costing him $4500. Still didnt fix it. He brought the truck to us from Cali and sure enough it was bad TCM power wire. We have only seen this on the 05. I can go on and on with more 05 stories that we have only had the issue with on the LLY. Its a whole truck of its own. Still can be a good truck yes of course but def a truck of its own.

Edited by nwtdiesel

Even though they have Urea now they still burn fuel to clean the DPF...The Urea is to lower NOx as the lean mixture in the cat causes NOx.

Yea i cant remember it all, Lord knows i dont know it all but i try and if i dont know it one of my techs will! Ill have to dig out my papers on the 2013. I went to a GM training seminar on the whole urea DPF ordeal and learned about it all. I cant remember it all but im sure your right. We dont mess with the 2011 and up very much cause most everything is covered under warranty so it goes back to the dealer. Either way i just think its rediculous all the crap getting injected into the exhaust. I had a friend who has a 2009 Ford and he had his truck backed up to some bushes and left his truck running while he fell asleep. The truck went into regen and the exhaust got so hot the bushes caught on fire. The whole back of his truck burned up. Luckily they got the fire out.

Edited by nwtdiesel

I have a 06 LLY that runs at a higher fuel pressure than the 05 LLY 23k psi vs's 26 psi. Is mine the black sheep too?? I do not have the delfi ECM, nNor hve I ever had overheating problems. I have the BOSCH PCM , Just courious what you oponion is on this model?? You see to have lots of info!!

Those trucks are crazy right! Yours is basically a 06 in my opinion. Good truck. They are all good just some need more love then others. They all have there ups and downs.

One of the tricks we do on the power hungry dmax guys looking for all the power they can get out of their 01-05 is we swap out the pressure regulator to the 06 LBZ regulator. With the custom tuning we do we can actually go into the B1010 table and raise the commanded and actual pressure. 3000 psi is alot when your going from a 1700us pulse width(how many times we make the injector pulse/inject fuel into the cylinder) to 3100us pulse (almost double). 1700us is stock pulse at wide open throttle roughly 250 rear wheel horse power and 3100us is what our race tune would command which is about 520 rear wheel horse power. Of course we also change timing, boost etc etc just giving you a idea. If the rail pressure still drops then we add dual fuelers which is dual CP3 pumps and then they will have double the fuel on tap. A single cp3 is good for about 550hp and dual pumps are good for 1000hp.

Heres a pic of my personal 2004 LB7 2500 Dmax that made 1180hp on fuel only and 1300 with a little nitrous. It has twin turbos, custom made intercooler. 3" aluminum piping, dual fuelers, 52lpm injectors (stock is 18lpm) ported and polished heads, cam, carrillo rods, fly cut Mahle pistons. girdle, main bearings, head studs, 50mm wastegate and much much more. We did all the work here at our shop and we did all the tuning which took hours and hours. We even built the trans which has all billet shafts and billet fly wheel and a 5 disc billet converter. I can drive it to get groceries if needed it runs so smooth. We have it back apart going bigger and looking for 1500hp. I will be competing with it next year in the NHRDA diesel series. Come by some time and go for a ride. It still scares me on the street LOL

Apicmotor_zps0718e6a8.jpg

Z12.jpg

engine9.jpg

engine1.jpg

Dont worry guys we work on Cummins and Fords too lol

BEAST6.jpg

Edited by nwtdiesel

• 9 months later...

It's been a while since I have been on here but I decided to go with the 2013 Duramax. I loved the 2006 LLY but the deal on the 2013 LML was to good to pass up. I got it lifted at 4Wheelparts they hooked me up. With my family growing I traded the Carson Funrunner in for a big set-up. Finding toy haulers down here in Georgia is hard. Camping world gave me more for the Carson than what I paid for it new. I'm trying to get orders back to the southwest. Keeping fingers crossed

post-2889-0-58241700-1394066081_thumb.jp

post-2889-0-35931700-1394066105_thumb.jp

post-2889-0-65371000-1394066155_thumb.jp