Fire!

brandyjacobo

I am actually a close friend to the passenger and the dad of the driver of the RZR 1000 that burned at Dumont. The RZR was only two weeks old, from the driver stated that there was a whining noise coming from the engine, I am assuming the started stayed engaged heated up and started the fire. It is correct that the fuel can did not ignite until most of the RZR was on fire. The passenger had her jacket burned and the driver has the back of his head hair singed but they were both ok.

So to confirm once again it was not the gas tank it was a defect with Polaris. I had this happen on my trans am years back. I installed long tube headers and on an long road trip my starter wires had melted. The next time I turned the car on the starter stayed engaged and dang near burned my car to the ground Luckily it was just a lot of smoke.

Curious if Polaris is doing anything for your friend or if it's being handled by insurance. Seems like if it was a defect from the factory like you say it should be on Polaris.

With them all burning I see a mass law suit coming.

It's only a matter of time, what's different from this and the Rhino is Most cases on the Rhino were peeps being idiots and flipped em. On the RZR most people are just driving them and there burning up.

yeah I don't know if he had gotten it replace but over thanksgiving weekend his younger son I think 12 or 14 was ran over by a sand rail. He was in the hospital with a fractured knee, elbow, and I think some pelvis issues. they were in a train cruising the dunes and some guy came right over the top in a 5 seat car and ran him over. He is doing ok but makes me never want to let my boys out on quads when they get older. Could have easily killed him.

There's another example of something to add to the "stay alive" thread, when dunning either follow the ridge at the top so you can be seen from either side or stay away a good distance from the ridge so you are not in the path/landing zone of someone that doesn't have a clue anyone is there. Not only is it safer to follow the ridge so you are seen, by following the ridge you won't launch off one when there's no tracks and hard to see. And if you have one of the flexible flag poles that are nearly horizontal when you are dunning ..... get a real flag pole so the flag crests the ridge before your helmet does. And buggy drivers, have your kill switch easily accessible cause you know your throttle will stick at the worst time thanks to Murphy. I saw a buggy roll and nobody got hurt but the guy was killed trying to tow the buggy out of a bowl and had he placed the kill switch left of the steering wheel on the dash or close to the gear shifter he would have lived. OK, rant finished. Lee

I just sent an email direct to Polaris, asking about if there is a defect or a recall as there have been several fires reported regarding the RZR 1000... lets see if they respond...

Curious if Polaris is doing anything for your friend or if it's being handled by insurance. Seems like if it was a defect from the factory like you say it should be on Polaris.

With them all burning I see a mass law suit coming.

It's only a matter of time, what's different from this and the Rhino is Most cases on the Rhino were peeps being idiots and flipped em. On the RZR most people are just driving them and there burning up.

No surprise ~ Polaris never emailed me back in regards to a recall or if they were aware of the problem... they did however send me a customer service survey, that I happily filled out how unsatisfied I was and that no one had answered my question and no response was ever given. Doubt that they care, I am only one person and they are a big company that is obviously selling these XP1K's like hotcakes..

And I'll play this from s lawyer perspective. Let's say fuel cans did cause some of these fires. Where does it say not to carry them in a RZR?

I get it common sense but that lady got millions from Mcd's cause the cup didn't say the coffee was hot and could burn you.

• Like 1