New Truck

ash

Okay, I am in the market for a new truck. I currently have a 2002 Ford F250 PSD with 7.3. I love my truck, however, my kids are getting taller and losing some serious leg room in the back. Right now, I am looking at the Dodge Mega Cab 3500 and the Chevy. I'd like to know from you duners out there the what ya think. I am kinda leaning towards the Mega Cab for the leg room. Give me some opinions.

Okay, I am in the market for a new truck. I currently have a 2002 Ford F250 PSD with 7.3. I love my truck, however, my kids are getting taller and losing some serious leg room in the back. Right now, I am looking at the Dodge Mega Cab 3500 and the Chevy. I'd like to know from you duners out there the what ya think. I am kinda leaning towards the Mega Cab for the leg room. Give me some opinions.

me too. which do you all suggest ---3/4 or 1 ton

I've got a 1 ton because I carry heavy loads in the bed on the road from time to time. However the 3/4 ton is a better ride off road. With most new trucks the only difference between 3/4 and 1 ton is the number of leaf springs. If you are just towing toys I'd go for the 3/4 ton if you don't exceed the weight rating. In most cases insurance is void if weight rating is exceeded. After that I'd focus on a few low cost mods to get a little more power.

Do not get a megacab. My friend has one and they don't have enough power to get out of their own way.

so, you are saying the dodge diesels, 1/2, 3/4, or 1 tons cant get out of their own way? the mega cab is not much bigger than the others. please explain, as I talked to a guy the other day with the 3500 megacab dodge and he loves it. he has a 36' 5th wheel and says he justs puts it on cruise 65 and goes down the highway.

this post is just my opinion....I am NOT trying to start a brand flaming war :laughing:

Dodge- The motor is great, probably the best of all the big three. The cummins has less parts, thus less to go wrong

the problem with the Dodges are the rest of the truck.......the virtually fall apart around the engine.

Also, the tranny in the dodges sux azz. still a 4 speed, iirc, 48re....tons of problems....cannot handle the torque of the cummins.

Ford- The 7.3's were the shizzle. why ford went away from them :laughoff: . the early 6.0s where major malfunctions. when I bought , I stayed the hell away from the ford 6.0's. Since about 2005 and on, though, the 6.0's have become pretty reliable. plus, ford now has the torqueshift tranny, which is pretty much an allison clone (copying IS a form of flattery).

several of my neighbors have 2006 fords, and haven't had a bit of a hiccup with them.

Chevy- :laughoff: I have a 2003 CC short bed 4x4 with the dura/ally combo.....what can I say? I havent had a problem with it. able to put 35's ON A STOCK SUSPENSION :P , and with a tuner.....IT FUGGIN ROCKS :bawl:

THE 2005.5 fords also respond well to mods, like programmers, chips, bigger intercoolers, etc

final line

Chevy 1st, Ford 2nd, Dodge.........NEVER.

JUST my OPINION

this post is just my opinion....I am NOT trying to start a brand flaming war :laughoff:

Dodge- The motor is great, probably the best of all the big three. The cummins has less parts, thus less to go wrong

the problem with the Dodges are the rest of the truck.......the virtually fall apart around the engine.

Also, the tranny in the dodges sux azz. still a 4 speed, iirc, 48re....tons of problems....cannot handle the torque of the cummins.

Ford- The 7.3's were the shizzle. why ford went away from them :laughoff: . the early 6.0s where major malfunctions. when I bought , I stayed the hell away from the ford 6.0's. Since about 2005 and on, though, the 6.0's have become pretty reliable. plus, ford now has the torqueshift tranny, which is pretty much an allison clone (copying IS a form of flattery).

several of my neighbors have 2006 fords, and haven't had a bit of a hiccup with them.

Chevy- :laughoff: I have a 2003 CC short bed 4x4 with the dura/ally combo.....what can I say? I havent had a problem with it. able to put 35's ON A STOCK SUSPENSION :P , and with a tuner.....IT FUGGIN ROCKS :laughoff:

THE 2005.5 fords also respond well to mods, like programmers, chips, bigger intercoolers, etc

final line

Chevy 1st, Ford 2nd, Dodge.........NEVER.

JUST my OPINION

I agree with this.........and get a long bed. I got the short bed and regret it every dune trip. The long bed will tow better and the extra cargo room is worth the parking hassle.

this post is just my opinion....I am NOT trying to start a brand flaming war :laughoff:

Chevy- :laughoff: I have a 2003 CC short bed 4x4 with the dura/ally combo.....what can I say? I havent had a problem with it. able to put 35's ON A STOCK SUSPENSION :P , and with a tuner.....IT FUGGIN ROCKS :laughoff:

How did you get 35's on it. I have a 4 inch lift and my 33's still rub alittle?

How did you get 35's on it. I have a 4 inch lift and my 33's still rub alittle?

FIRST, i pinned the torsion bars up as high as they would go. bolts to the rail

then, I trimmed the fender skirts.

then, I pulled back the brake cable, and zip-tied it to the round hole close by it, to keep it out of the way of the tire.

I have H2 rims on it, with the chevy centers

technically, the tires are 315/70/17's, but measure 34.7 inches across the center, while on the truck

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

I agree with this.........and get a long bed. I got the short bed and regret it every dune trip. The long bed will tow better and the extra cargo room is worth the parking hassle.

Same here.

I would have liked the long bed, and had a chance to get a red one, but having a short truck bed is better than not having a truck!!

DIESELS ROCK!!! :laughoff:

i have the dodge 4x4 with the cummins ho it is far from gutless it made the most power till chevys o6 durapuke came out i have a 6" lift on 38s with 4:10 gears and i pull that 34' box trailer at about 12,000 lbs mine rides nice . as far as a fifthwheel i think long beds the only way to go and i know they improved the duramax but im not a fan .i love my dodge. it pulls like a bear

i have the dodge 4x4 with the cummins ho it is far from gutless it made the most power till chevys o6 durapuke came out i have a 6" lift on 38s with 4:10 gears and i pull that 34' box trailer at about 12,000 lbs mine rides nice . as far as a fifthwheel i think long beds the only way to go and i know they improved the duramax but im not a fan .i love my dodge. it pulls like a bear

got any pix?

ya i passed those dodges going up baker grade!!!! then a chevy,,mine pulls like a pollar bear on lost,,,the tv show arrrrrrrr,,,,grrrrrrr :laughing: :fro:

From what I hear about the 08 Fords is they will be twin turbo. Also, I heard today that maybe, GM will be putting the CAT in their 08 trucks. For now, I'm gonna keep my Ford. Love the 7.3, it looks good, rides good and to be honest, I'm not in any race to get to the dunes..I save the speed for sand. And the best thing of all, my truck is paid for. So until the twin turbo or CAT comes out, I'm staying with the 7.3 PSD. Thanks for all the opinions. See everyone in the sand.....whoo hooo only 1 week to go

From what I hear about the 08 Fords is they will be twin turbo. Also, I heard today that maybe, GM will be putting the CAT in their 08 trucks. For now, I'm gonna keep my Ford. Love the 7.3, it looks good, rides good and to be honest, I'm not in any race to get to the dunes..I save the speed for sand. And the best thing of all, my truck is paid for. So until the twin turbo or CAT comes out, I'm staying with the 7.3 PSD. Thanks for all the opinions. See everyone in the sand.....whoo hooo only 1 week to go

congrats on the new truck...post that baby up!!!1

"jack it up, fat girls can't climb" :happydrunks:

post-1340-1162567594.jpg

ya i passed those dodges going up baker grade!!!! then a chevy,,mine pulls like a pollar bear on lost,,,the tv show arrrrrrrr,,,,grrrrrrr :coffee::coocoo:

lol thats what a lie sounds like :coocoo::coocoo:

after im done pulling my trailer up the hill ill turn around and pull you up the hill :driver:

see that hitch that is for pulling rhino up the hill :idea::shocked::happydrunks:

04 dodge 6" lift toyo mts 4:10 gears fox shox electric steps dvd player air bags (rear)

and the most important part : "i got the pink slip daddy" :hello:

but its not my dune hauler....

post-1340-1162567628.jpg

post-1340-1162567804.jpg

Edited by bearfoot bob

post-1340-1162567594.jpg

lol thats what a lie sounds like :coffee::coocoo:

after im done pulling my trailer up the hill ill turn around and pull you up the hill :coocoo:

see that hitch that is for pulling rhino up the hill :driver::shocked::happydrunks:

04 dodge 6" lift toyo mts 4:10 gears fox shox electric steps dvd player air bags (rear)

and the most important part : "i got the pink slip daddy" :coocoo:

but its not my dune hauler....

Then WTF you use for a dune hauler? An MDT???

Ok....we're getting a little :happydrunks: here.

If you want to talk sh!t about trucks you can do that here: Click me to talk sh!t about trucks.

If you want to show your off your ride you can do that here: Click me to show my ride.

ash was looking for advice about a possible purchase....and I think he said he's done. :shocked: