the pros and cons (minirail)

the joey

Being new to this sport. I'd like to get some views on this topic. I'm looking at the minis because of trailer space and storage space. I'm looking at: long travel, two seater, busa motor. What are your thoughts? Also I'd like to say HI !. I'm new to this board. :beerpint:

Thanks, Joey

Ladies and gentlemen,

' The Joey ' is in the house!

Welcome to DDR.

Read ( Busa rails ) in this forum.

If that don't help, ASK PETE.

Enjoy the site, :rockwoot:

:grin:

Thanks Randog for the welcome. I saw the busa rail topic. It seemed to be directed to cost, speed.Didn't want to hijack that thread. I'm more interested in pros and cons. What other people take into consideration when buying a rail.How much power, will it fit in ?, How much travel is needed to smooth out the chopped up dunes? I"ve got alot of question and I'm just looking for some education. ASK PETE, ok PETE give me some info.

Thanks, Joey

OK OK!!! :no_no: :finger:

My car is supposedly 21" in the front and 18" in the rear. It takes the rough and most whoops pretty well. It is kinda rough at very low speeds over tracks and rutts but that is mostly only because the short wheelbase and being light in weight.

Well I don't know what all you want to know, but I love my minirail. There are alot of pros and I can't really think of any cons right now.

Pros

lightweight (power to weight ratio is awesome)

small- fits in smaller toyhaulers where larger rails won't

less expensive than larger rails

VERY agile

inexpensive to maintain/ fix (compared to fullsize rails)

uses much less fuel- you can dune almost all day on a tank of fuel :grin:

IMO, more bang for the buck

Cons

no reverse unless you fork out a few grand extra when buying (I could care less about R in the dunes though)

a little rough at very low speeds over the rough

If you are one of those guys that think bigger is better, a mini won't work for you. :no_no:

Like I said, I really can't think of any cons right now :rockwoot:

My rail is a little smaller than Pete's with less travel (suspension). I've been working on it for about 6 years and I think it's done (reliable) and ready for power coat. I'm on a tight budget so it has taken a while but I figure I'm in to it about 9 grand, that includes $900 for the motor.

When going slow it feels more like an atv on the rough stuff but once you get going they fly. The other thing I love is how low you sit compared to an atv and giving rides is a blast.

I have an 8x14 trailer with my yfz sideways the rails fits perfect. It also fits on a 7x10 trailer I bought for a golf cart.

I have a sled motor in mine and the belt drive (automatic) is nice. It's harder to tune for elevation and temp and I am just starting to figure out the clutching. The busa motors have alot more power and I think overall would be best and faster. I have ridden in the busa/turbo long travel versions and all I can say is hold on...what a rush.

Good luck on your choice...hope this helps

post-961-1163178993.jpg

post-961-1163179017.jpg

post-961-1163179033.jpg

My rail is a little smaller than Pete's with less travel (suspension). I've been working on it for about 6 years and I think it's done (reliable) and ready for power coat. I'm on a tight budget so it has taken a while but I figure I'm in to it about 9 grand, that includes $900 for the motor.

When going slow it feels more like an atv on the rough stuff but once you get going they fly. The other thing I love is how low you sit compared to an atv and giving rides is a blast.

I have an 8x14 trailer with my yfz sideways the rails fits perfect. It also fits on a 7x10 trailer I bought for a golf cart.

I have a sled motor in mine and the belt drive (automatic) is nice. It's harder to tune for elevation and temp and I am just starting to figure out the clutching. The busa motors have alot more power and I think overall would be best and faster. I have ridden in the busa/turbo long travel versions and all I can say is hold on...what a rush.

Good luck on your choice...hope this helps

Yep, Hayabusa all the way! It is an awesome powerplant for a car that small. It makes suprisingly good torque and the high RPM HP is just sick! :finger::grin: Nothing like blasting up comp to the tune of 11,000 rpms! :rockwoot:

• 3 weeks later...

The reverse deal is not that big of a deal. I use to say that it was a con too. But must full size cars can't use reverse except to get out of the trailer and maybe back up at camp. In the mini its not worth the power loss.

I agree. I don't ever need reverse anyways. It might come in handy at Coral Pink, but not Dumont. I have learned to be able to do w/o it. :D