What kind of ride?

CHOPJAW

Hey all,

I'm new to this fourm. I'm new to rails but not the desert or dunes. I've wanted a rail for the last 10yrs but never pulled the trigger (yet). I've really never ridden in a rial but always wanted to. So now that I'm going to get one my question is, what is best for a neophyte?

I have so many questions I dont know where to start.

1. Frame- what is the best to work around on if you have to do any engine/tranny work?

2. Engine- I like the cost factors with a VW or smaller engine but love the power a V-8 makes but not the cost? Which is the best?

3. Suspension- there are so many I just dont know. (I'm not sure if I like to jump)

4- Due to cost's I'd like to keep the rail price below $25K (to start with until I either like it or not).

5- anything else you want to add will help.

Thanks

Chop.

Find yourself a nice used minibuggy with the busa in it... They all pretty much come with long travel style suspension just smaller version obviously, and the motor varies get the busa if you can. The hayabusa is a wide known engine in the street scene so finding parts no problem. No expensive transaxles to dork with, fuel economy is great, and the power is plenty. Thats just my 2 cents.

Find yourself a nice used minibuggy with the busa in it... They all pretty much come with long travel style suspension just smaller version obviously, and the motor varies get the busa if you can. The hayabusa is a wide known engine in the street scene so finding parts no problem. No expensive transaxles to dork with, fuel economy is great, and the power is plenty. Thats just my 2 cents.

That would be the completely WRONG car for a first car. The mini rails are unique and have some definite advantages and disadvantages. The people that have mini rails love them but I wouldn't recommend one for a first car. If you want to stay with $25K a V8 car is out. VW's anymore are just as expensive as a Honda or a Subaru. Take your time and shop around. My advice would be to ask as many people as you can for a ride a see what you like best. :jester:

GO Subaru all the way. add a turbo later and you have v8 power without the low end toeque thats hard on trannys. Speaking of trannys if you cant afford a mendi (SP???) go with a well built bus 3 rib. Beam front end is ok and you can upgrade to longer arms later for a softer ride. buy some suspension seats and that will help add comfort. make sure the frame is built right and safe. and last but not least SEATBELTS buy good quality brand name NEW seatbelts. I suggest the 5 point ones that the shoulder straps are permantly attached to the lap belt thus forcing the wearer to buckle up completly. anybody else have suggestions?????

That would be the completely WRONG car for a first car. The mini rails are unique and have some definite advantages and disadvantages. The people that have mini rails love them but I wouldn't recommend one for a first car. If you want to stay with $25K a V8 car is out. VW's anymore are just as expensive as a Honda or a Subaru. Take your time and shop around. My advice would be to ask as many people as you can for a ride a see what you like best. :thumb:

Welllll...it was completely right for me. My minirail car was my first car. You definitley get more bang for your buck. I love(d) mine. It depends on your driving style for what you are gonna want though.

I'd stay away from VW or a V8 for that price range.

25K is a tricky price to work with for a car. You could get a pretty nice beam car (or possibly long travel car) w/ a honda or subie...OR a super hokie V8 car...or a badass mini w/ a busa! :jester: :laughing: :dance:

I'd say get some rides in some cars and definitley shop around for a while to see what is out there for the money. You can pick up used rails for pretty cheap sometimes. :thumb:

if you are looking to get started with a rail than you need to find the type frame that you like and than start shopping .

long travel = big bucks

a mid or standerd travel car is a very good way to grt in and see if you want to spend the money to step up. you should be able to get a car for lees than 10 grand to see if you realy like the expense of a car. I started with a standerd travel car with a corvair in it and than built a rear engine v8 and now it is a midengine v8 with a th350 and a 9in ford rear to handle the power. what ever up decide to get strart off slow and build up to the big jumps and geting crazy in the sand better to be safe than sorry. JMO