young girl dies in ATV incident

Richard Cheese

http://www.turnto23.com/news/10610328/detail.html

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- A 7-year-old girl has died after an ATV crash in Arvin on Christmas Day.

The California Highway Patrol said that at about 4:40 p.m. on Monday, Megan Bullard, 7, was riding on a 125cc ATV without a helmet on Comanche Drive near Panama Lane in Arvin when her 8-year-old cousin -- who was driving the ATV -- missed a turn in the roadway and crashed the vehicle. Bullard was ejected and died from massive cranial injuries, according to the coroner's office.

There's no word on the condition of the 8-year-old boy

gee, riding two up on a 125, and no helmet..........I do feel bad for the family about the loss of their daughter, but It COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED

Breaks my heart to hear stories like that!!!! :laughing:

Can't imagine the pain the parents must be going thru. :praying:

As a parent, I would never forgive myself! Our family always rides with helmets, even in places like Logandale (no rangers) and Utah where there is no helmet law.

Whatta shame.

your right every time we are at apex we see people out there riding with no gear. the worst is seeing people riding with their little ones on the lap :banghead::DDRrocks::DDRrocks:

Saw A LOT of that out at Dumont this past weekend! Quite a few quads riding double with adults, too. Thought that was illegal out there, but was more important for Ranger Bob to pull over the p-up truck with no whip. Who da thunk it. :(

your right every time we are at apex we see people out there riding with no gear. the worst is seeing people riding with their little ones on the lap :beercheers::headbang1::beercheers:

Specially the quad(tards) :P , they think that they are safe since they have 4 wheels, I have not yet seen a biker without a helmet, but I have seen many with ONLY a helmet (almost as stupid) I wear everything including a Neck Roll.

I am also a street biker of many years and laugh at all the "Brain Bucket" guys, I lump all of the above in the "organ donor" group. I dont feel bad for the adults, after all it is natures "survival of the fittest". But like someone else mentioned children dont know any better, its the parents fault (unless it was without their knowledge) And if they did knowingly allow those kids to ride without gear then thay are total idiots, and its a shame Mother Nature wasnt able to eliminate the parents from the gene pool before they were able to procreate!! :headbang1:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

On another note, the grief and pain to follow will only be compounded by the legal system if the prosecutor decides to press charges for neglegence.

On another note, the grief and pain to follow will only be compounded by the legal system if the prosecutor decides to press charges for neglegence.

I don't think any judge can hand down a harsher sentence than knowing you could have prevented your own child's death. I just can't imagine living with that. :beercheers:

So you disagree that if in fact the parents where idiots and allowed the children to ride that they should not be punished?? :beercheers:

I think that if this country was more like the one we are occupying and HUNG people less then a month after they have been condemned (rather then paying millions over years and years of keeping them comfortable on DEATH ROW) there would be a HUGE reduction in crime (of coarse, the rest of our punishments for lesser charges would need to be equally more strict, like for instance the taking of a hand or finger when caught stealing). :headbang1:

The idiots run rampant in this country because our legal system is so F'd up. Look at just Vegas alone as far as traffic offenses. How many people a day do you see running red lights at high speed SEVERAL seconds after??

I think if Metro started a zero tolerance/mandatory jail time for serious offenders (red runners for example) that a lot less people (like my buddy George) would die in vein!! :beercheers:

I don't think any judge can hand down a harsher sentence than knowing you could have prevented your own child's death. I just can't imagine living with that. :beercheers:

Agreed!! But in my eyes its not enough when its the parents fault, out of blatant stupidity (not saying this is the case here, I dont know the whole story). You have heard it before, but "if this could save just one life, its worth it", cliche it might be, but its true!! If this type of thing made news (parents getting punished (jailed) for stupidity that resulted in the death of a child, I can guarantee there will be less quads riding 2 up with children at Dumont and Apex!!

So you disagree that if in fact the parents where idiots and allowed the children to ride that they should not be punished?? :icon_twisted:

Where in my statement does is say or imply that I agree or disagree? I only made a statement that the grief and pain WILL be compounded IF the prosecutor decides to press charges.

As a parent, I would never forgive myself! Our family always rides with helmets, even in places like Logandale (no rangers) and Utah where there is no helmet law.

Whatta shame.

Just an FYI...

Utah has a helmet law.

“…helmets are required for all OHV operators and passengers under the age of 18 years.”

And, maybe not enforced, but under Utah law.. “No one under the age of eight is allowed to operate any OHV on public lands, roads or trails in Utah…”

Click on this link for the Utah OHV laws and rules..

http://www.utahohv.org/ohv.pdf

Agreed!! But in my eyes its not enough when its the parents fault, out of blatant stupidity (not saying this is the case here, I dont know the whole story). You have heard it before, but "if this could save just one life, its worth it", cliche it might be, but its true!! If this type of thing made news (parents getting punished (jailed) for stupidity that resulted in the death of a child, I can guarantee there will be less quads riding 2 up with children at Dumont and Apex!!

I think education would make more of a difference. Similar to driver's ed; let the parents see the results of what could happen should they allow their kids to ride unprotected, and themselves for that matter! People keep talking about these mandatory safety courses for ATV buyers, but are they learning anything? Driving it in a parking lot, turning around, and proving that you can stop the thing, IMO, is not safety training!! To get a motorcycle license, which you know full well, Justin, you spend class time and THEN you are put thru a riding course. I don't hear of classes like that being offered to ATV riders.

Whatta shame.

Just an FYI...

Utah has a helmet law.

“…helmets are required for all OHV operators and passengers under the age of 18 years.”

And, maybe not enforced, but under Utah law.. “No one under the age of eight is allowed to operate any OHV on public lands, roads or trails in Utah…”

Hmmm, maybe that's why I saw a lot of parents riding double with little ones. Luckily for us, our kiddos are 10 and up.

Click on this link for the Utah OHV laws and rules..

http://www.utahohv.org/ohv.pdf

Thank you for that information, but I was actually refering to motorcycles as for the helmet law. My hubby and I are up there every year for the 'Thunder on the Mountain' run, and many, MANY riders from NV do not where helmets up there. We do because it's just not a chance we are willing to take.

The one time we camped up there with kids and quads, it made no difference to us, law or not, we ALWAYS wear helmets when riding. :D