Computer guru's

SandBox_Kid

I know we have some computer guru's here, and perhaps they can offer a little help with the latest challenge I have been tasked with.

A small portion of my job is to keep 90 CE devices configured on the the WLAN for our facilities maintenance staff. I have been asked to remove the games that are installed on the devices. Like Solitaire....

post-475-1186612859_thumb.jpg

However, when I attempt to remove the executable I receive the following message:

post-475-1186612978_thumb.jpg

I even thought of moving the file, so that it would be harder to find:

post-475-1186613037_thumb.jpg

At this point all I can do is remove the shortcuts in the programs menu, but I know it's a matter of time before someone figures that out.

I know this is a ROM issue, but I am able to install a TKIP changeout utility on ROM.....I just can't find any support for removing programs from ROM.

I am at the point of reporting back that it can't be done without re-burning the ROM from the factory, but I thought I would throw this one out and see if we have any guru's for these devices around here....you never know. :laughing:

Any suggestions? Experiences? Thoughts?

I don't have that bad boy but I do have a Blackberry, and I know the only programs that I can uninstall are the ones that I added. When I try to remove one of the factory installed programs I get a message similar to what your getting. I can't even remove any of the ring tones that the manufacture installs.

i think your :laughing: 'd dude.. if they are embedded into the chip and burnt directly to that chip there really is no other way of removing them other than you guessed it.. reburn the rom without that software... talk about a pain in the nutz

Try these steps and see if it works. You have probably tried it, but if not, maybe you have a shot:

From the Start menu, select Settings > Remove Programs

Next, find the game in the list that you wish to uninstall

Select the game and click "Remove"

At this point you will be asked to confirm your request. To do so, tap 'Yes'

With some games there will be further steps to complete. Make sure to follow all on-screen instructions.

Click "ok" in the top right corner when finished

iam not a guru by any stretch of any imignation, but have you tired:?

1. yelling at it?

2. using profanity while attempting step 1.?

3. renaming the file to attempt to hide it, and when it does appear again, just bame it on the last person that held the device.

4. placing device in microwave as wingnut suggested?

5. get a hammer, and hit yourself, tell your boss that the device apparently has a better security system than you thought.

6. or try this video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdAKgJDahzw&amp...ted&search=

Edited by RAGDOLL MX

Try these steps and see if it works. You have probably tried it, but if not, maybe you have a shot:

From the Start menu, select Settings > Remove Programs

Next, find the game in the list that you wish to uninstall

Select the game and click "Remove"

At this point you will be asked to confirm your request. To do so, tap 'Yes'

With some games there will be further steps to complete. Make sure to follow all on-screen instructions.

Click "ok" in the top right corner when finished

None of the ROM programs show up in the remove programs area.

Put them in the microwave for 60 seconds

^^^^^Best suggestion yet.

We are getting ready to study some more devices....perhaps we can work a deal with the manufacturer. I doubt it though.

• 3 weeks later...

this Q is for someone more corporate mind'd Yes off topic but i didnt feel like starting a new topic when it is computer related.

I use outlook at work... My lappy is primarily based for work as well. I dont have the need or want an exchange server at the office... for 4 computers its useless. SO my question is.. Is there a way to "Sync" outlooks between my desktop and lappy without having to copy the pst over and re-create everything.. Rules, accounts, blah blah blah.

this Q is for someone more corporate mind'd Yes off topic but i didnt feel like starting a new topic when it is computer related.

I use outlook at work... My lappy is primarily based for work as well. I dont have the need or want an exchange server at the office... for 4 computers its useless. SO my question is.. Is there a way to "Sync" outlooks between my desktop and lappy without having to copy the pst over and re-create everything.. Rules, accounts, blah blah blah.

Clicky

The more i look at products like these the more im just going to try and convince my boss to get an exchange server. Thats a good idea and all but man what a pain in the butt lol.. i still have to copy my original pst to the other computer and setup all the accounts and rules and then let it sync.. all fine and dandy but im lazy..

At least with exchange i can attempt to get a treo syle phone from the boss and show him the bennifits of all this jazz having the exchange box sync to his home computer, laptop, and treo would make him a bit more efficient as well as me.. I hate having to RDC into my computer just to check my office mail.. pain in the butt.

If it's a small network and you're thinking of going the Exchange route, take a look at Micro$oft's Small Business Server - I've installed quite a few of them and they've stood the test of time for small business needs.