Help please from the Kawi folks.

aceisback

Picked up a used 04 KFX700 for a decent deal but it has an issue or two. The first and foremost being that the drain plug is stripped and won't come out. Just turns and turns. Looks like the compression washer was misplaced so the owner just cranked down on the plug to stop the leak! Didn't work so well.

I've got a little mechanical skills so I'm going to give it a shot as my local bike shop wants $80 an hour labor. Probably a 10 minute job but get to contribute to the whole hour. Not going to do that.

Have you folks used helicoils in cases like this or tapped it out and used a larger plug? Seems the hc would work as long as I'm careful about the shavings and what not...

Clue me in please.

Thanks

Ace

Hey Vic...

To get it out, I'd try tapping a thin screwdriver between the plug and the case and sort of wedge it in there. Then try turning the plug to loosen it out just a little bit. Tap on the screwdriver a little bit at a time in between turns. That usually works for me to get those out.

If you get it out, then take a look at the threads in the case. Alot of times it's just the plug threads that strip out. IF the case threads are damaged, I think you could get away with using a helicoil. Just be extra carefull drilling the hole. Slow the drill speed way down to allow the shavings to fall rather than spitting them up into the motor. Then pour some oil through the motor after you have drilled the hole to make sure you help any drain out that may have gotten in there.

Good luck, man. :laughing:

i stripped out the drain on my first quad, honda 250x, and the case threads stripped, not the plug.

i tapped it a little larger, and purchased a new bolt. i tapped it slowly and removed the shavings as i went. i have skinny fingers, so i was able to run my finger along inside the case, and didn't feel anything significant. i kept the drain unlugged and poured the old gear oil through (yeah, i'm cheap like that sometimes).

i ran the quad for another year with no problems until i sold it for a bigger bike. if you can do a heli-coil, that would be the way to go according to any machinest.