smog laws for sand cars

barefoot bob

apperantly for 07 if you buggy biulder is biulding you a sand car that you are financing i/e vin # the motor has to meet smog standards. apperantly a few biulders are already having trouble with this.i guess the law passed in 05 and there just getting around to enforcing it. it wont take long till they go after home biult buggies when you go to register them . times are a changing :beercheers:

That's not what the law is. They have to use certian motors that have been approved. Custom bike builders have gone through that same thing. There are certain motor transmissiion combos that can be used. If you want to use some thing different you have to pay LOTS AND LOTS of money to get it approved.

exactly and it cost 40,000 to get a motor approved. i think its carb regulation?? anywase ,the only one that will pass at the moment is an ecotech. eyeballfab is sitting on a twin turbo biuld they had to stop cause the finacer was told to stop, because of the motor regulations .im sure i dont have the whole story or perfectly acurate. but the jist is the new motors have to meet regulations or they cannot be built as a production vehicle.

as i understand it, harley davidson put the spotlight on this mess, cause s&s motors didnt have to meet these regs. but harley did :beercheers:

Edited by barefoot bob

wait they will get to the rest of us.

No

Tim i believe its any sandcar registered in the wonderful state of cali.. not just those financed.

No

This law only affects manufacturers. It will cause some of the smaller builders to move out of state. You will probably start seeing alot of sandrails sold in California being sold without motors. It's a long drawn out procss but all the major manufacturers go through the same process.

Edited by Don29palms

This one's a little off topic but does anyone know where to find the requirements to make a buggy street legal in the lame :beercheers: state of California? I would assume that the motor would have to pass smog as well and if you didn't use a VW motor you would be required to have the smog pump and cats with real mufflers as well right?

I plead the 5th :lol::lol::lol:

your not giulty of anything to plead the fifth as a matter of fact you know EXACTLY whats going down your just not sharing with the rest of the class. :beercheers:

and yes as i understand it is how don explained it . there is someone here who could shed light if were wrong and i will take silence as were on the right path............... :dunno:

and from what i understand there are a few manufacturers with this problem. but my question is . is this state or fedral.

if it stems from harley/s&s thing would that not be fedral ?????

but as don mentioned out of state so strictly cali ??

and it will most likely eventually trickle down...................... :lol:

well you know a smart fella who was looking to finance one right now should go to the manufacterer of his choice and ask to have his car biult with a left over 06 frame. :bs:

then he can get a bad a$$ cbm motor any way he likes it :fro:

i love my eyeball and now i love that its an 06 even more !!!!!!!!!

Edited by barefoot bob