Woman dies in Arizona airport

ash

I couldn't help but be confused as to the death of this woman. The cuffs ended up around her neck??? I'm curious to see how this one will play out. Maybe there was some CCTV in the room that will help.

PHOENIX — The stepdaughter-in-law of the city's public advocate, found dead in a police holding cell in Arizona, was a "wonderful" woman and mother, Betsy Gotbaum said.

Gotbaum, the public advocate, spoke briefly to media across the street from her Manhattan building on Sunday, two days after Carol Anne Gotbaum was found in the cell where she had been taken in handcuffs after being arrested at an airport.

Authorities were investigating if Carol Anne Gotbaum choked herself while trying to get free from the handcuffs.

"She was a wonderful mother, she was sweet and kind and loving," Betsy Gotbaum said. She added, "It's obviously very, very difficult for us, we are dealing with it as best we can. My number one focus is those children and my stepson. I hope the press will consider our feelings and please, please, please don't ask us any more questions."

The 45-year-old New Yorker was arrested Friday after a conflict with gate crews who refused to allow her to board a plane, said Sgt. Andy Hill, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Officers handcuffed her and took her to the holding room, where she kept screaming, authorities said. Hill said officers checked on her when she stopped screaming and found her unresponsive.

Hill said it appears Gotbaum may have tried to get out of her handcuffs, became tangled in the process and the cuffs ended up around her neck. A cause of death will be determined by the Maricopa County Medical Examiner.

"She was very agitated and irate and angry," Hill said. "These are the things that led to the disorderly conduct arrest."

Authorities said neither a Taser nor pepper spray was used on the woman.

That's crazy. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck they ended up around her neck???? Sounds fishy..... :laughoff:

I have handcuffed a whole lot of people and I can honestly say, I have never seen anyone get the cuffs around their neck. I've used chain and hinged cuffs and I just cannot picture this in my head.

What say you Cole..you ever seen that?

I have handcuffed a whole lot of people and I can honestly say, I have never seen anyone get the cuffs around their neck. I've used chain and hinged cuffs and I just cannot picture this in my head.

What say you Cole..you ever seen that?

:laughoff:...no cant says that i have...on several arrests that i have made in the past, people have tried to get out of them and end up with their one hand in front of their crotch and one hand behind their butt....i have never seen them end up around their neck.

and iam trying to fathom how to do that....

the only thing that i could remotly think of is that she tried to get out of them like a stright jacket and got herself in a rear naked choke...but even that would dam near be impossible...(with out being gross...) i would actually like to see those photos.. :laughoff:

well, its a great example of WHAT NOT TO DO when you are late for your flight.

common sense dictates you don't act like a nut in our nation's airports, which is exactly what this lady did.

I couldn't agree with you more! People just have to realize that the airports today are not like the airports before 9/11. I see it all the time, but you know what, I only see it state side. I never see anyone acting like a moron at international airports. Why? Because they will just haul your sorry a$$ away. In China for instance, I did see someone acting like a fool and the local cops came right over, back handed the guy right in the face, threw him on the ground, handcuffed him and off he went.

I couldn't agree with you more! People just have to realize that the airports today are not like the airports before 9/11. I see it all the time, but you know what, I only see it state side. I never see anyone acting like a moron at international airports. Why? Because they will just haul your sorry a$$ away. In China for instance, I did see someone acting like a fool and the local cops came right over, back handed the guy right in the face, threw him on the ground, handcuffed him and off he went.

funny you should say that....

when i was living in Germany, they (german police) would walk through the airport carrying MP5s. and i rememer they didnt take any crap either..i remember them giving a couple of beat downs to not only men, but women as well....hey ash..have you ever noticed that only the USA has Police Brutality laws???...lol...

post-693-1191293344_thumb.jpg

Edited by RAGDOLL MX

funny you should say that....

when i was living in Germany, they (german police) would walk through the airport carrying MP5s. and i rememer they didnt take any crap either..i remember them giving a couple of beat downs to not only men, but women as well....hey ash..have you ever noticed that only the USA has Police Brutality laws???...lol...

post-693-1191293344_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'll try and dig up some pics from Indonesia...they carry AK-47's over there. When I head over to Japan, I'll snap some photos of their local PD in action. Yep, I have to agree that we are the only ones with PD brutality laws...makes ya wonder huh?

I won't jump to any conclusion before the investigation is released, but if she did manage to strangle herself by trying to get out of the handcuffs it is her own damn fault she died. It is beyond me how she could get her hands near her neck if she was cuffed with her hands behind her back.

Got me baffeled too on how this can be done.

Unless she was real limber in the shoulders and somehow got her head under her armpit and choked herself with her arm and shoulder????? Like any good magician she took her secret with her..

I have seen them slip the cuffs under their butt and when I open the door they have their hands infront of them.