Charging your coach batteries before a trip

HappyHour

Hey everybody.............Just wanted to see what everyone else does. I was wondering how long do you charge your coach batteries before a trip to Dumont? Do you leave your MH or TH plugged in all the time or do you only plug it in for a little bit?? I usually plug my MH in all the time and then check the water level in the batteries once a month. I have 4-6v batteries for my coach with a Xantrex Inverter. How long does it take for 6v batt.'s to be fully charged?? Also, can you over fill the cells with water?? Tonight while loading stuff I was hearing one of the batt.'s bubbling or perkulating like a coffe maker, is this normal for batt.'s that haven't been charged for a while?? I was only one of the batt.'s that I heard though.

I've never had an issue before and maybe I'm over-thinking it and stressing myself out for no reason, but I don't wanna get caught with no heat in the MH this trip for my wife and my daughter.

Thanks in advance..................... :MBdance:

PS.they are brand new Interstate batteries I installed earlier this year.

Edited by HappyHour

The only time I've heard a battery do that is when they are over charging :MBdance: . The guy at the interstate dealer told me to check the level in the battery's every month, he said it's a good idea in this climate.

We have a TH trailer that we store at friends property. It has a couple of 12v deep cycle batts. I always remove them from the trailer to charge and then float charge. I have been looking into some 6v golf cart batts, but a charger is too expensive to justify them. I never trust the truck alternator or on board gennie to charge them properly.

The bubbling/percolation is likely from overcharge. Do you use a hydrometer? How old are the batts? If only one has the problem, could be the battery. Have them tested and if one needs replace, do them all. Check the charger for proper operation as well. If you leave the MH plugged in to shore power all the time, the onboard charging system should be able to monitor the batts for charge and charge only when needed. Most average TT,TH, & 5ers do not have this type charging system and will likely overcharge/boil off the electrolyte mixture. My 2 cents.

Edited by ntrsandman

usually a battery does percolate when charging on a battery charger. not a kmart 3 amp speacial but a real battery charger. that is why your supposed to remove the caps to allow venting when your putting a heavy charge to a battery. you have 4 in succesion that battery was probably had more charge than the others so it was percolating. when they percolate they tend to lose water. so make sure its still ok with water.

you should be ok. if they are deep cycle they are made to be charged alot. i cut my power and once a month i turn it on fire up my gen and run for 15 min or so then i cut power and leave it alone.

i could be mistaken but the charger on board is supposed to sense a full charge and stop charging. if one of your batteries is weaker than the other, is the only thing i can think of that would cause only one to percolate and the charger not to cut off.

if your concerned load test them or check with hydrometer.

Thanks a bunch guys! The batteries are less than 8 months old. Like I said before, I at least can't remember ever hearing a battery do that. They are 4 deep cycle 6v batteries and they are Interstate Batt.'s. I think because of time constraints I'm going to let it roll and see what happens. I'm headed for Dumont this weekend so we'll see.

If anyone has anymore to add, please do so......................and thanks!!!!!!

:laughing: