Robby Gordon rims

90+ PLUS

• 2 weeks later...

i heard that its illegal to have true beadlocks on the street is that true?

correct. I have heard that as well. I don't think beadlock wheels are DOT approved. Stupid huh? They can hold up to extreme desert abuse but aren't approved for a paved road. :bs::laughoff:

yeah but will a cop really pull you over to see if they are beadlock or streetlock

They will!! I never got pulled over, I had them on mine for 2 years, but a friend of mine got pulled over twice , and got a fixit ticket to take them off..depends on the cop i guess :beercheers: most of them may not even know what they are to even care

correct. I have heard that as well. I don't think beadlock wheels are DOT approved. Stupid huh? They can hold up to extreme desert abuse but aren't approved for a paved road. :whoop::beercheers:

I actually asked a cop about it and the answer I got was " well if they are using those hi performance wheels, they are more likely to drive eratically on the public roadways and possibly cause an accident" :news:

so with that being said ..i was like ...oh and walked away

I actually asked a cop about it and the answer I got was " well if they are using those hi performance wheels, they are more likely to drive eratically on the public roadways and possibly cause an accident" :blink:

so with that being said ..i was like ...oh and walked away

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So then why are "high performance" cars such as Corvettes legal? What a dumbass! :shake: I'd like to know what makes the wheels illegal, not how they "might" make the driver drive. :rolleyes:

found this on another forum that i was on.....

Champion's claim that their wheels are DOT legal is false. This is just a rumor that got started somewhere (Pirate forum?). Call Champion and pin them down on it like I did, they are not legal for on road use in any state that requires wheels to be DOT approved, which is pretty much all states. At least this was the case 6 months ago.

I've owned Champion bead locks though, and never had a problem with the legality issue. Before I bought my Champion bead lockes I called the state superintendant of the Highway Patrol, who manages the state safety inspection dept. I asked him if "bead locks" were legal in UT, and his reply was "what is a bead lock?" I just said "never mind", told him I had changed my mind, and hung up. So in other words you can get by with bead locks because the people inforcing the law don't know what the law is, at least hear in UT anyway.

I watched one of the early style MTB (?) bead lock rims come apart at highway speed one time when following a Jeep back to town on the highway south of Moab one day. NOT a pretty sight; he lost control and ended up going into the barrow pit and through the barb wire fence while trying desparately not to roll his Jeep. He hadn't noticed that some of the bolts had come loose, which increased the forces applied to the remaining bolts, which then sheared off at highway speed.

Bead lock wheels are not legal because the companies making them haven't gone to the effort (and expense) to get them DOT approved. Don't expect them to be DOT approved any time soon either. Think about it, a regular wheel is pretty much idiot proof. Any kid working for minimum wage can get the tire on the rim correctly, and all he has to do is inflate it until the bead pops on, and the tire is good to go. A bead lock rim takes a modicum of skill to mount correctly, and safely. The idiot proof factor that bead locks lack will make it tough to get DOT approval.

In regards to the street locks, does anyone know how they are fastened to the outside of the wheel? If they are welded or securely bolted in place they may very well serve a purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

no what i was told from a 4wd shop is that if a bead lock wheel was to blow out, it will not allow the tire to seperate from the wheel the way a conventional wheel and tire would, thus making it impossible to control. when blowing a tire on a conventional wheel all you have to do is slow down, and not hit the brakes. with a beadlocks the tire will not seperate and making it harder if not impossible to control......thats what i was told

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So then why are "high performance" cars such as Corvettes legal? What a dumbass! :shake: I'd like to know what makes the wheels illegal, not how they "might" make the driver drive. :rolleyes:

I agree with ya pete , like i was saying or thinking at the time was "what a dumbass"...but i will still run them so eff em . :blink:

found this on another forum that i was on.....

Champion's claim that their wheels are DOT legal is false. This is just a rumor that got started somewhere (Pirate forum?). Call Champion and pin them down on it like I did, they are not legal for on road use in any state that requires wheels to be DOT approved, which is pretty much all states. At least this was the case 6 months ago.

I've owned Champion bead locks though, and never had a problem with the legality issue. Before I bought my Champion bead lockes I called the state superintendant of the Highway Patrol, who manages the state safety inspection dept. I asked him if "bead locks" were legal in UT, and his reply was "what is a bead lock?" I just said "never mind", told him I had changed my mind, and hung up. So in other words you can get by with bead locks because the people inforcing the law don't know what the law is, at least hear in UT anyway.

I watched one of the early style MTB (?) bead lock rims come apart at highway speed one time when following a Jeep back to town on the highway south of Moab one day. NOT a pretty sight; he lost control and ended up going into the barrow pit and through the barb wire fence while trying desparately not to roll his Jeep. He hadn't noticed that some of the bolts had come loose, which increased the forces applied to the remaining bolts, which then sheared off at highway speed.

Bead lock wheels are not legal because the companies making them haven't gone to the effort (and expense) to get them DOT approved. Don't expect them to be DOT approved any time soon either. Think about it, a regular wheel is pretty much idiot proof. Any kid working for minimum wage can get the tire on the rim correctly, and all he has to do is inflate it until the bead pops on, and the tire is good to go. A bead lock rim takes a modicum of skill to mount correctly, and safely. The idiot proof factor that bead locks lack will make it tough to get DOT approval.

In regards to the street locks, does anyone know how they are fastened to the outside of the wheel? If they are welded or securely bolted in place they may very well serve a purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

no what i was told from a 4wd shop is that if a bead lock wheel was to blow out, it will not allow the tire to seperate from the wheel the way a conventional wheel and tire would, thus making it impossible to control. when blowing a tire on a conventional wheel all you have to do is slow down, and not hit the brakes. with a beadlocks the tire will not seperate and making it harder if not impossible to control......thats what i was told

Unless every situation i sdifferent ,(which i am sure it is BUT) I have lost a tire in my race truck at 80 mph and just knowing the truck is the only reason i knew it was flat, my co-driver couldnt even tell it was flat...Beadlocks rock :rolleyes: they definitely are a plus.