Glamis Dunes

mineurbiz

Here is a letter that was sent to the president of the american sand association. It tells about zero tolerance if you ride at Glamis near the border and cross over.

They wrote:

Let me begin by expressing our gratitude and appreciation for the support and confidence that the American Sand Association has extended to U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol, particularly the EI Centro and Yuma Sectors who patrol the Imperial Sand Dune Recreational Area. We, as public servants, can only maximize our success with the cooperation and assistance of our community. Respectfully, we now call upon you and the members of the American Sand Association for assistance as we work to eradicate the criminality of cross border activity in this area and negate the possibility of terrorist infiltration into the United States.

Beginning in January 2008, the Border Patrol will be conducting enhanced operations along the border encompassing both the Grey's Wells and Midway Campgrounds. Our intent is to gain operational control over this area, which has long been a dangerous, highly trafficked corridor by alien and narcotic smugglers. Last year, over 33,000 pounds of narcotics was seized and 2,137 aliens apprehended in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreational Area alone.

These operations will include a heightened detection and surveillance strategy coupled with an immediate response protocol to intercept all illegal cross border traffic. We will implement a zero tolerance for illegal cross border entries. It is and will remain the responsibility of the recreationists to know and abide by the law. Recreationists who accidentally illegally cross the border are subject to the zero tolerance.

Any individual who affects an illegal entry into the United States is subject to arrest and/or fine. CBP requires that all individuals report to a CBP Port of Entry when returning to the United States. CBP's border search authority is derived through Title 19 Section 1581, which provides that all persons, baggage and merchandise arriving in the United States are subject to inspection. Failure to report to a port of entry could result in a fine and/or seizure of your conveyance. CBP's seizure authority is derived through Title 19 Section 1595a.

If you enter Mexican territory during your visit to the Imperial Sand Dunes, you must make proper re-entry at a U.S. Port of Entry.

There are future plans to construct a permanent anti-vehicle fence clearly defining the border, however; in the short term to avoid any confusion the border will be marked with temporary

There are future plans to construct a permanent anti-vehicle fence clearly defining the border, however; in the short term to avoid any confusion the border will be marked with temporary paddle markers and pre-existing border monuments. These paddle markers are similar to those used by the Bureau of Land Management as trail markers. Please see the attached photograph.

In short, strict adherence to the law regarding the entry into the United States, by United States citizens or otherwise, must be observed. Securing this area by eliminating the illegal activity is critical to protecting our homeland. I hope to work together and reduce any misinformation or confusion regarding this matter in the present and future as our collaborative efforts will undoubtedly yield a successful resolution to the challenges we now face.

Again, please assist the El Centro and Yuma Border Patrol Sectors by disseminating the aforementioned information regarding our intentions to strictly enforce the law as it applies to illegal border entry to your members. It is our sincere desire to inform and educate all those who camp and recreate in the Imperial Sand Dunes so that vacationers can enjoy the dunes in partnership with our efforts to enforce the laws and remove the criminal threat.

As a result of your valued assistance and commitment to the security of our great nation, our combined efforts will prove yet again that we can accomplish as a team our shared goal of improving the quality of life in our community.

Yours Respectfully,

Jeffery Calhoon

Acting Chief Patrol Agent

CBP Border Patrol, El Centro Sector

Paul Beeson

Chief Patrol Agent

CBP Border Patrol, Yuma Sector

I don't see it like that, They are stating that they will be stopping all individuals they see entering the United States from Mexico. I have gone into Mexico in my rail but only a half mile or so and came right back. I was approached by the Patrol out there and I told him who I was and we went on our way. But for those of you that haven't been out there, That desert is huge and they have a big piece of land to patrol so keeping clear will help them immensly. I doubt they will seize your ride or fine you but be aware it is in their power to do either! Alot of bad things come from down south and due to our success in other parts of the state it is forcing them to try in more desolate places.

it isnt that it is affecting me in either way, but if it is that big of a deal then just build a dam wall....mine it...gun towers...who cares what they put, just make it seem like there is something there to indicate that your in another country.

it isnt that it is affecting me in either way, but if it is that big of a deal then just build a dam wall....mine it...gun towers...who cares what they put, just make it seem like there is something there to indicate that your in another country.

:beercheers:

They wrote:

There are future plans to construct a permanent anti-vehicle fence clearly defining the border, however; in the short term to avoid any confusion the border will be marked with temporary paddle markers and pre-existing border monuments. These paddle markers are similar to those used by the Bureau of Land Management as trail markers.

There already is a tank trap style vehicle barrier along the highway. It is very long and goes along the freeway just to the south of it. A fence is out of the question due to the terrian (my belief) Its a no win situation for us. People will continue to go south and get pulled over by the Patrol then whine about it. But as soon as they get a ticket or have something that involves them DIRECTLY then they will complain that the law was no where to be found!!!

Ragdoll I am not meaning all this towards you in anyway, I want this as a generalization towards all. :beercheers:

There are more than enough dunes for everyone to ride there, even if everyone from the D and Pismo were to go there all at once.

There should be no problem at all if your a supporter of the Border Patrol and you want to stop the "invasion". Let them do thier work if you want to stop the next possoble terrorist attack.

My BP buddy has caught a few "Arabs" in the past 2 years.

Don't worry about the riding, there is plenty of it.

If you want to b*tch about something, then b*tch about the damn environmentalists.

I'm not responding to any previous posts here, just putting in my :beercheers:

Here is what my email says:

Dear Fellow ASA Member,

Border Patrol

has Implemented Zero Tolerance

for Illegal Mexican Border Entries

Beginning in January 2008, the Border Patrol will be conducting enhanced operations along the border encompassing both the Grey's Wells and Midway Campgrounds. These operations will include a heightened detection and surveillance strategy coupled with an immediate response protocol to intercept all illegal cross border traffic. We will implement a zero tolerance for illegal cross border entries. It is and will remain the responsibility of the recreationists to know and abide by the law. Recreationists who accidentally illegally cross the border are subject to the zero tolerance.

Entry into the United States must be via a Port of Entry. Any individual who effects an illegal entry is subject to arrest and/or fine. Vehicles and personal property are subject to seizure.

Please read the their letter to fully understand the Border Patrol enhanced operations along the border encompassing both Grey's Well, Buttercup and Midway Campgrounds. CLICK HERE

The American Sand Association

Unite, Inform, and Mobilize

100% VOLUNTEER non-profit

There are more than enough dunes for everyone to ride there, even if everyone from the D and Pismo were to go there all at once.

There should be no problem at all if your a supporter of the Border Patrol and you want to stop the "invasion". Let them do thier work if you want to stop the next possoble terrorist attack.

Don't worry about the riding, there is plenty of it.

If you want to b*tch about something, then b*tch about the damn environmentalists.

I'm not responding to any previous posts here, just putting in my :grin:

Really? geez..any more details on that? ya never see that in the news.

I can only speculate that there is alot that doesn't make the news.

But everytime he catches one he calls us up and sings-"I caught an Iraqi, I caught an Iraqi" :beat:

:laughoff:

You have no idea how much doesn't make the news. Mainly because it's just because we are doing our job. I for one am glad most of it doesn't get on TV but some of it needs to be just to make the general public more aware of whats happening. Just because Mexico is our neighbor to the south doesn't mean we are only encountering mexican people. I have personally caught chinese,yugoslavian(sp?) and many from way down south, ie salavdorian. Middle Easterners pay BIG dollars to get smuggled in from Mexico. I love this job but at times it is very frustrating to see how bad we are getting beat out there. :lol:

Thanks, This job is a blast to do. Makes it totally worth the effort when we do get a scumbag off the streets!

I may have asked before...Do you know a guy named Brian Hudspeth? I think he went to work for DOJ. He worked BP in So-Cal.