1. 1. Which 450 would you buy?

• Yamaha YFZ450
    • Suzuki LTR450
    • Kawasaki KFX450R
    • Honda TRX450R
    • Can-Am DS450
    • KTM 450XC
    • Polaris 450MXR

I think they are all pretty good Dune Bikes. I bought the Suz LTR 450 and love it for duneing. Sits low and wide and just rails on the tight technical type dune rides. Front end stays down most of the time and you can just pin it coming out of turns.

I ride my Banshee for racing comp hill and ride my Suzuki for duneing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you not know how to read? I said he did beat me.

And that 12k isn't just "go-fast" parts, it included him buying the quad BRAND NEW, hot cams White Bros full exhaust, Full intake, and some misc parts. It also included the long travel suspension and all the other goodies he has added. It is definately fast. I love how people assume things. Don't get me wrong the YFZ is a fast bike, I was just stating that money for money the LTR is a better buy. I am sure you can race us anytime you want, but we don't exactly buy them to just shoot the hill. They are for duning which to me is a lot more exciting. So if you wanna ask which is better for duning stock vs. stock, then hands down the LTR.

By the way his YFZ put down a respectable 50HP on Powerhouse's dyno. (Maybe it was his Sand Star paddles, must have been like having his parking brake on)

Any other smart a$$ remarks?

:laughing::banghead::thumb: My mistake I read it wrong. Regardless, with you having a sprocket and a cherry bomb the dude has got to be a pathetic rider if he cant beat you with his fully built YFZ. I raced plenty of LTRs when I was a bolt on and not one was in the same zip code as I was. The LTR is a nice bike. I have nothing against it. I'm just tired of hearing the excuse of it being the best duner ever because it is 50in wide.

yfzs are best all around bike....good for track...good for trails and dunes.

everyones sayin get the kawi or another 450 and sayin u have to put parts on em like a sprocket

pshhhh

back when i rode quads i had a stock yfz with paddles and my dad had a yfz with yoshimura pipe and filter with paddles....we were racin up comp hill...like 5 other people out there racin and we took em up a few times....it mightve been my weight being 150 but i smoked all of them...stock bike with only paddles.

now im ridin a crf 450 dirtbike.

i got back on the yfz after ridin my dirtbike for a few trips...WOAH...it was sooo small

i could feel every bump. hahahahha

but yeah...buy a yfz used

the power is perfect...ive never gotten stuck

very little shifting unless ur aggressive

This thread probably isn't gonna help u much, personal preference varies so widely. If you can find a few friends that would let you take a spin on theirs you'll figure out what YOU prefer. I rode a yfz450 and a honda 450 and hated them, then rode a suzuki 400 and loved it. I wanted to get the Suzuki 450 but didn't have that much $$$ at the time, so I got the 400... for now. That's my preference/opinion, hope it helps some. Good luck!

These threads are worthless. Everyone is gonna tell you they like what they ride and they wouldnt ride anything else. Everyone is biased to some degree.

My advise to you is try and ride each one that your interested in. That's what I did. I understand that might be hard to do with the newer models. My first time to the dunes was last presidents day. I had never owned a quad before and had never ridden any 450's either. So at the time I wasn't biased in any way. I got the oportunity to ride a YFZ and an LTR. Which at the time would have been the only 2 I would have considered purchasing. The ride quality between the 2 was night and day. The LTR just felt much more stable and smooth. The suspension on both was stock too. The ride coupled with the EFI on the LTR is what sold me.

If your building an all out drag bike then without a doubt the YFZ is the best choice. The aftermarket is much larger and the bike itself can be had for less. If your looking to do more than just shoot the hill or you want to be a little different then there are better choices IMO.

Good luck.

Edited by John H

I personally love my yfz. Ive had 2 of them and I would buy another in a heartbeat. The YFZ is plenty wide, has a great stance, looks sexy, and has more after market parts then any of the other bikes.

And to the guy who has 12k in his YFZ and cant beat a CB'd LTR...... Take up chess.

main thing right there :D

Ummmmm... I am just at a loss of words.....

why cause its so beautiful

post-433-1201634332_thumb.jpg

These threads are worthless. Everyone is gonna tell you they like what they ride and they wouldnt ride anything else. Everyone is biased to some degree.

My advise to you is try and ride each one that your interested in. That's what I did. I understand that might be hard to do with the newer models. My first time to the dunes was last presidents day. I had never owned a quad before and had never ridden any 450's either. So at the time I wasn't biased in any way. I got the oportunity to ride a YFZ and an LTR. Which at the time would have been the only 2 I would have considered purchasing. The ride quality between the 2 was night and day. The LTR just felt much more stable and smooth. The suspension on both was stock too. The ride coupled with the EFI on the LTR is what sold me.

If your building an all out drag bike then without a doubt the YFZ is the best choice. The aftermarket is much larger and the bike itself can be had for less. If your looking to do more than just shoot the hill or you want to be a little different then there are better choices IMO.

Good luck.

Why would you think these threads are worthless??? It's better to ask than go spend 7-8K and find out you don't like it... I think Kevin was pretty smart doing the poll because he doesn't have to read all the opinions... He can just check in from time to time to see the results

Why would you think these threads are worthless??? It's better to ask than go spend 7-8K and find out you don't like it... I think Kevin was pretty smart doing the poll because he doesn't have to read all the opinions... He can just check in from time to time to see the results

All that poll does it tell him what most of you ride. Everyone is going to vote for their quad

and not give an unbiased opp. It would be in his best interest to read the posts and

get all the pros and cons of every bike before making a large purchase.

All that poll does it tell him what most of you ride. Everyone is going to vote for their quad

and not give an unbiased opp. It would be in his best interest to read the posts and

Point taken.... derrrr

Good luck.

Then why did you buy an an LTR.....Damn hillshooter!!!!! :beat::beat:

Thank you...

go 4 the ltr.

all u have 2 do 2 get some power out of it is buy a 30 dollar cherry bomb, take off the intake lid, and pull out the exhaust baffle

when u want more get a pipe, intake and controller

best handling bike out there, efi, and IMO no other 450 touches it without a lot of mods

My LTR is a Duner. Get it rite Laughlin.... :beat:

You actually have to see other parts of dumont other than banshee hill to be considered a duner. Damn hillshooter!! And dont be mad cause I have mad pimpin skillz in Laughlin. :beat:

go 4 the ltr.

all u have 2 do 2 get some power out of it is buy a 30 dollar cherry bomb, take off the intake lid, and pull out the exhaust baffle

best handling bike out there, efi, and IMO no other 450 touches it without a lot of mods

Wrong.

I am in the market for a new 450. Just curious what quad you would buy and why. It will be riden 80% in the dunes and 20% in the desert. No woods or mx.

I'm a Honda guy. CRF450R, CRF250X, TRX450R. With that said....based on what you want to do...LTR450!!!

I can't believe that came out of my keyboard :beat::beat::beat:

You actually have to see other parts of dumont other than banshee hill to be considered a duner. Damn hillshooter!! And dont be mad cause I have mad pimpin skillz in Laughlin. :beat:

Wrong.

Wrong?

U are probably thinking that I meant that nothing touches the LTR up a straight hill.

Not what I meant at all.

The LTR is lower, wider, and handles better than any other quad.

To get the suspension on other quads up 2 par with the LTR's stock suspension means spending lots of money on a LT setup

I'm a Honda guy. CRF450R, CRF250X, TRX450R. With that said....based on what you want to do...LTR450!!!

I can't believe that came out of my keyboard :beat::beat::beat:

same here im a honda guy, but the LTR must be pretty effin good if i picked it over the honda

Wrong.

Your just lucky there's no trees in Laughlin or you would probably have a matching dent on the driver side of your truck. hahaha :beat:

Gotta keep your eyes on the road son... :beat:

go 4 the ltr.

thats your opinion :beat:

Wrong?

U are probably thinking that I meant that nothing touches the LTR up a straight hill.

Not what I meant at all.

The LTR is lower, wider, and handles better than any other quad.

To get the suspension on other quads up 2 par with the LTR's stock suspension means spending lots of money on a LT setup

You read dirtwheels to much. They also used to say that the predator was the fastest quad on the market :beer_bang: They said it had the best suspension on the market because it had "fox shocks from the factory" :laughing: . As far as "duning" goes, I can dune my narrow little "drag bike" anywhere you can dune your badass lower, wider, better handling LTR. Probably faster..... :laughing: