• KTM 450XC
    • Polaris 450MXR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly dude, I did a ton of research before I bought my YFZ. Everything I read and everyone I talked to said the same thing....stock, off the show room floor the YFZ wins hands down. Every little thing I've done to mine has made it faster and faster. The new 08 suzuki 450's look pretty sick and are fuel injected, but I havent seen one run yet. If you do the "cam mod" (retard your exhaust cam one tooth for YZ450F timing) it makes a huge difference on the top end and pulls a lot harder. it's free, its easy, and if you have any mechanical knowledge at all it shouldnt take more than an hour.

Oh and I bought an '07 YFZ450 SE and love it!

any questions just ask

This is what I know

Yamaha YFZ450 - Probably more of these around than any other. No reverse, Non-Efi, $7,099

Suzuki LTR450 - 50" wide, EFI, 3 inches wider than the competition, $7,399

Kawasaki KFX450R - Aluminum frame, reverse, EFI, 2007 Sport quad of the year, $7,399

Honda TRX450R - New Showa front shocks, non-Efi, $6,849

Can-Am DS450 - Aluminum frame, not welded, connected by aerospace fasteners. Claimed best power to weight ratio, EFI, $7,499

KTM 450XC - Non EFI, $8,749

Polaris 450MXR - Ktm motor, Claimed to be quickest, Magura hydraulic clutch reverse ,$7,199

we have 2 yfz and one honda 450

the yfz are awesome bikes...they sit lower to the ground...suspensions good and u could ride around with no paddles

the only downside is the seat is rough and the throttle is a little hard to push...other than that its an awesome quad

the honda when i got on it seemed a little smaller and felt a little touchy

good bike too but id prefer the yamaha...they were first and better

the kawasakis are funky...the batterys in the wirdest spot

suzuki all the way, extra wide for the dunes, you would pay hundreds of dollars to make the other bikes as wide. Its efi, and with a $40 cherry bomb its way faster than any other bike on the market. this is a great dune bike, one other thing when you to to 20" sand tires you need to drop the front sproket to a 13tooth. You will not be dissapointed with this bike

The added width would be nice in the dunes. What do you think of the aluminum frame of the Kawi? We ride Pismo a lot so I was thinking of the rust factor but wondering about the strength factor.

The DS450 is also interesting. Wild new non-weleded aluminum frame. Got 2nd in the ATVSport shootout behind the KTM (not that I give that any weight cuz I know how mags cater to the mfgs). The guys who've ridden them claim they have excellent handling and after a pipe and a k&n they are extremely quick.

Edited by Kevlar

I have an 08 SE Suzuki LT-R450 and love it. My buddy has a YFZ which beats me by about a quad up comp. He said he has over 12k into his including buying it. He even said if he was going to buy a new quad it would be the 08 LT-R450. I have only added a Cherry bomb and dropped the front sprocket one tooth. If I had exhaust he probably wouldn't have beat me. This thing just rails thru the dunes. I feel very comfortable on it. Sometimes too comfortable!

I bet Paully Paul hasn't seen this yet or maybe he has and doesn't want too many people to buy this bad a$$ machine.

Dang Dan, you sure dont like the zuks for some reason, from what I have heard, from several people the ktms are not quick at all, but have great suspension. the ds450 I heard had no bottom end but great top end. yamaha is a great bike no doubt, but i like the wider bike and with the 40 cherry bomb the lt is faster. as far as riding at pismo, as long as you wash your bike when you get back real good, rust should not be a problem. soap it up and some wd40 works great. another + for the lt, ds, kawi, ktm is the efi= no jetting, I thing yamaha and honda are behind here, I believe the 09 hondas will be efi

Edited by suzukilt

Dang Dan, you sure dont like the zuks for some reason, from what I have heard, from several people the ktms are not quick at all, but have great suspension. the ds450 I heard had no bottom end but great top end. yamaha is a great bike no doubt, but i like the wider bike and with the 40 cherry bomb the lt is faster. as far as riding at pismo, as long as you wash your bike when you get back real good, rust should not be a problem. soap it up and some wd40 works great. another + for the lt, ds, kawi, ktm is the efi= no jetting, I thing yamaha and honda are behind here, I believe the 09 hondas will be efi

just :beat: they go like hell !!

I personally love my yfz. Ive had 2 of them and I would buy another in a heartbeat. The YFZ is plenty wide, has a great stance, looks sexy, and has more after market parts then any of the other bikes.

And to the guy who has 12k in his YFZ and cant beat a CB'd LTR...... Take up chess.

I personally love my yfz. Ive had 2 of them and I would buy another in a heartbeat. The YFZ is plenty wide, has a great stance, looks sexy, and has more after market parts then any of the other bikes.

And to the guy who has 12k in his YFZ and cant beat a CB'd LTR...... Take up chess.

Do you not know how to read? I said he did beat me.

And that 12k isn't just "go-fast" parts, it included him buying the quad BRAND NEW, hot cams White Bros full exhaust, Full intake, and some misc parts. It also included the long travel suspension and all the other goodies he has added. It is definately fast. I love how people assume things. Don't get me wrong the YFZ is a fast bike, I was just stating that money for money the LTR is a better buy. I am sure you can race us anytime you want, but we don't exactly buy them to just shoot the hill. They are for duning which to me is a lot more exciting. So if you wanna ask which is better for duning stock vs. stock, then hands down the LTR.

By the way his YFZ put down a respectable 50HP on Powerhouse's dyno. (Maybe it was his Sand Star paddles, must have been like having his parking brake on)

Any other smart a$$ remarks?

The cam mod requires pulling part of the bike apart, how long does that take someone who has never done it, assuming they can do it. The cherry bomb is done in 10 minutes max, you just plug it in, take the air box cover off and pull the butt plug out of the exhaust, this anyone can do......