Best spots for sumer duning

jackpunx

I've been to Pismo twice this year. Whoops weren't too bad at the drags. No comp hill during the summer, well if there is, I couldn't find it.

The 1500 acre's that's available you can see in 30 mins, it's pretty small. It's great for bikes and farm equipment (Rhino's, Rangers, RZR's), not really big enough for a high power rail, it's too small and busy to really open it up. V-Dub's would be good.

I never had a problem with rust, I never stayed the night since we stayed at the hotels. I stayed away from the water and the main roadway along the water line. There is a highway away from the water against the hills, you can ride that to get to the dunes. Quads were washed real good when we got home and I dont see a spec of rust anywhere. There are a few coin washes in town where you can give everything a good wash.

It's hard to find a good flowing line in the dunes since the wind only blows in from the ocean, all of the steep faces are on one side. Dropoff's are scary and can be hard to see during certain times of the day. I recommend just taking an easy put around to get used to it before hitting 4th and 5th gear.

I will be back a few more times this summer for sure, maybe camp out for a few nights if I can make it work with the S-10, sand gets real soft 5 ft above the high tide line. 4 wheel drive is a must if you want to camp without the worry of the tide coming in.

Good luck if you head out, I will most likely post in "Other Riding Spots" if I make any trips out there. Maybe we could meet up and get a few rides in. :thumbsdown:

St. Anthony gets my vote. We went in 2005 and decided to make it an annual event. That first year we stopped at Little Sahara, Utah and duned for 1 day. The main attraction is Sand Mountain; a 700 ft comp hill and a few big bowls in the back. But after riding the big bowls at St. Anthony we've never been back to LS.

We stay at Desert Oasis Rv. Here is the site for SA info Duneratt

We've also been to Winchester Bay twice. Really like the tree runs and the hill shooting but not for rails imo.

Here is the best forum for Oregon Sandwizards

Edited by Kevlar

I've been to Pismo twice this year. Whoops weren't too bad at the drags. No comp hill during the summer, well if there is, I couldn't find it.

The 1500 acre's that's available you can see in 30 mins, it's pretty small. It's great for bikes and farm equipment (Rhino's, Rangers, RZR's), not really big enough for a high power rail, it's too small and busy to really open it up. V-Dub's would be good.

I never had a problem with rust, I never stayed the night since we stayed at the hotels. I stayed away from the water and the main roadway along the water line. There is a highway away from the water against the hills, you can ride that to get to the dunes. Quads were washed real good when we got home and I dont see a spec of rust anywhere. There are a few coin washes in town where you can give everything a good wash.

It's hard to find a good flowing line in the dunes since the wind only blows in from the ocean, all of the steep faces are on one side. Dropoff's are scary and can be hard to see during certain times of the day. I recommend just taking an easy put around to get used to it before hitting 4th and 5th gear.

I will be back a few more times this summer for sure, maybe camp out for a few nights if I can make it work with the S-10, sand gets real soft 5 ft above the high tide line. 4 wheel drive is a must if you want to camp without the worry of the tide coming in.

Good luck if you head out, I will most likely post in "Other Riding Spots" if I make any trips out there. Maybe we could meet up and get a few rides in. :thumbsdown:

For sure.. Im going to start riding my bike (getting a paddle) so that way my wife can put the car around more and get involved.

Aslo.. I have a 40' 5er.. when going to pismo.. do you have to camp in the sand? or are there flat spots.. Ive heard you can take the trailers on the sand if you air down.. but it kinda sounds like the making of a horror flick..LOL

Just curious.. Im going to make an effort to play this summer and the beach, short drive and cooler conditions make Pismo pretty appealing (sp?)

We used to go to Pismo when we had a TH and a 4x4. We haven't taken the moho there, and probably won't. It's a blast on a quad, a little small for a rail IMHO, and watch out for the slipfaces. And wash your stuff really good when you get home, if not before.

We went to Winchester Bay in 2002, I loved that place.

We're going to St. Anthony this summer, around 4th of July. Counting the days already... :thumbsdown:

I've never understood the complaining about rust from Pismo. I've been to Pismo 37 times since 1999 (Yes, I keep track) and I never use WD-40. If you wash your bikes after every trip you should be ok. I also cover them everynight.

As far as camping on the beach, they let a 1,000 campers on the beach but that limit is only ever hit on the holidays and on the summer weekends. The best month to go is October because the weather is still good, no crowds, and they take down some fences they erect during the summer to protect the Plover. This lets you stretch out a little. If you have a 4wd and you air down to 20, you should do fine. Just go with others who could pull you out if you do get stuck. Sometimes it just takes a little tug. If this discourages you, try Pismo Coast Village RV and trailer your rides to the beach.

I like Cinder Hills near Flagstaff, AZ: http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_cinder_hills.htm

It's beautiful, has some riding for everyone, and weather is in the 80's in the summer, and there's trees for shade. I've heard such great things bout St Anthony's too, but it is far and my group has never been. one of these days when we're all feeling richer and can take the days off to get there we want to make a trip.

In a prev post someone mentioned that they had shutdown most of the dunes.. have you been since this happend?

yeah they shut down most of the dunes but that was before i was born like 20 years ago

i dont think theyve shut down any more since then but all the best dunes are in the closed area

so as far as i know all the areas that were opened when i went there are still open

I like Cinder Hills near Flagstaff, AZ: http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_cinder_hills.htm

It's beautiful, has some riding for everyone, and weather is in the 80's in the summer, and there's trees for shade. I've heard such great things bout St Anthony's too, but it is far and my group has never been. one of these days when we're all feeling richer and can take the days off to get there we want to make a trip.

That place looks really nice.How long is the drive there from vegas?

That place looks really nice.How long is the drive there from vegas?

about 5 hours, but depending on what's in tow, give or take. When I went with the ex and we just had the truck and one quad (first time out) 4 1/2 hours; Truck with 2 quads and a 3 wheeler 5 hours, truck with hauler and the same other stuff 5 1/2... to the entrance. there's a camp area not too far in that most ppl stop and camp, but the ppl we met up with camped way back past a bunch of whoops and it was more private, less dust, and that takes about another half hour to get to. :idiot: so much fun with a hauler... lol, not so much... I think i asked to pull a quad out and ride circles round him while he putted the getup to camp...

For sure.. Im going to start riding my bike (getting a paddle) so that way my wife can put the car around more and get involved.

Aslo.. I have a 40' 5er.. when going to pismo.. do you have to camp in the sand? or are there flat spots.. Ive heard you can take the trailers on the sand if you air down.. but it kinda sounds like the making of a horror flick..LOL

Just curious.. Im going to make an effort to play this summer and the beach, short drive and cooler conditions make Pismo pretty appealing (sp?)

You do have to camp in the sand, I havent seen any hard pack like at Dumont on the flats. Once you go 5 feet away from the high tide, it gets soft. You will have no problem with 4x4, I've seen people camping with T/H's pretty much in the main dunes.

Depending on the tide, there is usually a highway along the water that is hard and easy to drive on (cars can do it), the farther from the water, the softer the sand.

You dont have to worry about it, you will be fine, finding a good spot can be hard though, it gets pretty packed.

I have been to St Anthony's before. We were up there in July and at night the temps got quite cold. The days got near 90. The best place to camp is Sand Hills Resort but you have to book in advance. Some of the spaces have full hookups. The other place isn't quite as nice but is closer to the biggest hill there, Choke Cherry. The dunes there are treacherous though, they look flat but have a lot of dropoffs. I think almost every day we were there (5 days) someone left by ambulance.

BTW, Choke Cherry is awesome. Most quads won't make it up the hill. I'll post some pics if I can find them. Bring extra jets for your carbs. IIRC St Anthony is 5,000 ft.