Best spots for sumer duning

jackpunx

Hi all,

Ive done some searches and found some info.. and done lots of reading about coral pink, little sahara and winchester bay (dunfest)

I was wondering how many of you do the summer/offseason trips.. How hot is it? how far?

does everyone here make some type organized trips?

Just planning ahead..

Im a little nervous about pismo or beach dunes as Ive heard horror stories about salt and rust.. Ive also heard.. "just drench your car in wd40 and its all good"

Also..

Have many of you made the trip up to Dunefest?

I got the new Sand Sports mag and seems like a very organized event.. seems like the weather would be nice.. In the pics.. everyone seems to be wearing a jacket.. (its in the sumer)

just looking for real world experiences and trying to plan ahead as my season is shrinking, money is tight right now.. and I just got a new car that im fixing and dying to use..

thanks

Hit up Little Sahara, Utah on Labor Day 2006. The dunes are awesome and the weather was in the 80's. The locals all were complaining about the heat and had their AC's running. We left behind 115 in SoCal so it was a great break from the heat. Good peeps and great dunes up that way. Can't beat it.

St. Anthony's is supposed to be the best open dunes in North America but I won't be able to give a personal account until Labor Day this year...

July temps in the 70's doesn't sound too bad.

Hit up Little Sahara, Utah on Labor Day 2006. The dunes are awesome and the weather was in the 80's. The locals all were complaining about the heat and had their AC's running. We left behind 115 in SoCal so it was a great break from the heat. Good peeps and great dunes up that way. Can't beat it.

St. Anthony's is supposed to be the best open dunes in North America but I won't be able to give a personal account until Labor Day this year...

July temps in the 70's doesn't sound too bad.

Nice! I would love to try to go with someone who has been before... Its a long drive.. it would be cool to try to caravan with a group..

oceano in on the Cal central coast.....about a 6-8 hour drive from the vegas area...the dunes are a sandbox compared to dumont, but there are several small cities nearby, and the weather is great...50's at night...70's during the day

some of the best seafood to be had is in that area too.

Your talking about pismo?

I would love to go there too.. its pretty close to us.. but Ive heard a lot of people wont go because of the salt...

is there any prep work that is not to overwhelming that you do?

oceano in on the Cal central coast.....about a 6-8 hour drive from the vegas area...the dunes are a sandbox compared to dumont, but there are several small cities nearby, and the weather is great...50's at night...70's during the day

some of the best seafood to be had is in that area too.

I used to like oceano untill they closed it down to basically nothing. Last time I went there I left and came home early...the dunes were so rough you couldnt even sit down and enjoy the ride plus there were so many people it was hard to find a spot to park. But other than that its nice over there.

also- San Luis Obispo is close...alot of eye candy there if ya know what I mean

Edited by Raptor661

I used to like oceano untill they closed it down to basically nothing. Last time I went there I left and came home early...the dunes were so rough you couldnt even sit down and enjoy the ride plus there were so many people it was hard to find a spot to park. But other than that its nice over there.

also- San Luis Obispo is close...alot of eye candy there if ya know what I mean

is it big enough to bring a car to?

I went there a long time ago with my first car.. (Back when I drove till I got stuck.. and slept in the back of my truck right there till the weekend was over.. then got pulled out and went home..LOL)

We usually hit up Coral Pink a couple times in the summer. Coral is best for bikes and quads, but we've brought our rails there before and had an absolute blast. I love it there even for the cars. You just can't go on all the trails because some are pretty narrow and only for bikes, but only a few are like that.

I am hoping, depending on the cash flow this summer, to be able to make it up to St Anthony. I have heard nothing but fanatastic reviews of those dunes. :unsure:

Even Sand Mountain (Little Sahara) is also a place I'd like to check out one of these days. I don't know how it compares to other places. I have heard the dunes aren't too great for actual duning, but I don't care. I like checking out new places no matter what.

I would never bring my rail to Pismo (Oceano). Even when you WD40 your frame you still get lots of rust and your car ends up looking 5 years older. Ask OGP about his Tatum. :dope::laughing:

Winchester or Coos bay has always been a cool place I'd LOVE to go to, but again I think they are better for quads. Besides, I couldn't imagine dragging my hauler for 17-19 hours and then having to do it all over again to come home. :idea: That drive alone turns me off completely.

Mark if our group does any trips this summer I'll let you know. You are welcome to hook up with us for a Coral trip or wherever we go. :think::blink:

We usually hit up Coral Pink a couple times in the summer. Coral is best for bikes and quads, but we've brought our rails there before and had an absolute blast. I love it there even for the cars. You just can't go on all the trails because some are pretty narrow and only for bikes, but only a few are like that.

I am hoping, depending on the cash flow this summer, to be able to make it up to St Anthony. I have heard nothing but fanatastic reviews of those dunes. :headbang1:

Even Sand Mountain (Little Sahara) is also a place I'd like to check out one of these days. I don't know how it compares to other places. I have heard the dunes aren't too great for actual duning, but I don't care. I like checking out new places no matter what.

I would never bring my rail to Pismo (Oceano). Even when you WD40 your frame you still get lots of rust and your car ends up looking 5 years older. Ask OGP about his Tatum. :bawl::thumbsdown:

Winchester or Coos bay has always been a cool place I'd LOVE to go to, but again I think they are better for quads. Besides, I couldn't imagine dragging my hauler for 17-19 hours and then having to do it all over again to come home. :blury: That drive alone turns me off completely.

Mark if our group does any trips this summer I'll let you know. You are welcome to hook up with us for a Coral trip or wherever we go. :driver::thumb:

we'll hook that up for sure!

My boating crew will love to break up the summer with a little sand.

Def keep me in mind when you want to go.. Ive only been to Dumont twice..Pismo Once and Glamis Once.. Been doing the dirt .. just getting into the sand..both of the last were a long time ago in a different life if you know what I mean :drunk::blury:

jackpunx

check WyoDuners website:

dunereview

click the "photos" bar and you can select the area;

great pics, lots of useful info .... :thumb:

btw check out the "one way" sand canyon wash trail @ Coral Pink.....i did that one with my buggie :drunk::blury:

that was the first time my powersteering overheated :driver::thumbsdown::headbang1:

it is a awesome twisty trail that follows a sandy wash....check it out if you ever go to CP (however, a quad would be more fun :) )

Edited by spooner

We have done Winchester Bay the last 6 years except last year we went to St Anthonys

Winchester has a ton of stuff to do Fishing wineing Crabing :thumbsdown: and just a lot of fun for the women that but up with all of Us Men who lives :driver: for the Sand St Anthonys HAs a ton of stuff to do also White water rafing Yellowstone , Bear park :headbang1: , No Winerys That we found The Hole in the Ground If you can find it We looked for about 3 hours and found it It was kool I Guess But for the Drive I would say Winchester Bay

DUne fest is going to be AT Coos BAy this year AND Not at Winchester July 8 thru 15 SEE YA Their AL

Edited by AL T

jackpunx

check WyoDuners website:

dunereview

click the "photos" bar and you can select the area;

great pics, lots of useful info .... :thumb:

btw check out the "one way" sand canyon wash trail @ Coral Pink.....i did that one with my buggie :drunk::blury:

that was the first time my powersteering overheated :driver::thumbsdown::headbang1:

it is a awesome twisty trail that follows a sandy wash....check it out if you ever go to CP (however, a quad would be more fun :) )

Great site.. lots of pics and description..

Coral Pink looks cool.. and St Anthony's is huge.. but about 1k miles from me.. hhhmmmm.. I got to figure out how far coral pink is.. and set up a trip this summer

or just bite the bullet and do Dunefest

Edited by jackpunx

We have done Winchester Bay the last 6 years except last year we went to St Anthonys

Winchester has a ton of stuff to do Fishing wineing Crabing :thumbsdown: and just a lot of fun for the women that but up with all of Us Men who lives :driver: for the Sand St Anthonys HAs a ton of stuff to do also White water rafing Yellowstone , Bear park :headbang1: , No Winerys That we found The Hole in the Ground If you can find it We looked for about 3 hours and found it It was kool I Guess But for the Drive I would say Winchester Bay

DUne fest is going to be AT Coos BAy this year AND Not at Winchester July 8 thru 15 SEE YA Their AL

Is Coos bay better then winchester bay?

where do you live and how long does it take you?

do you have any issues with the salt?

we'll hook that up for sure!

My boating crew will love to break up the summer with a little sand.

Def keep me in mind when you want to go.. Ive only been to Dumont twice..Pismo Once and Glamis Once.. Been doing the dirt .. just getting into the sand..both of the last were a long time ago in a different life if you know what I mean :headbang1::driver:

for sure, man. I'll post up when I plan a trip. :thumbsdown:

I like Winchester bay Better Than Coos no really reason

I live in the High Dezert Calif it's about a 14 hour trip we take 3 or 4 day My Wife likes stopping in Napa , Sac ,and any other winery she can Find on the way

Its Fun I enjoy it too Not to make sound like a wineo

Never had any issues with the Salt

Dune Freak Let me KNOW I will go Some time in june or Aug ???? :thumbsdown:

no prob, Al

I know we are gonna do at least one Coral trip this summer, but I really wanna try to squeeze out a St Anthony trip...even if its just with the quads and I get a few of my friends to chip in towards costs and cruise together.

I like Winchester bay Better Than Coos no really reason

I live in the High Dezert Calif it's about a 14 hour trip we take 3 or 4 day My Wife likes stopping in Napa , Sac ,and any other winery she can Find on the way

Its Fun I enjoy it too Not to make sound like a wineo

Never had any issues with the Salt

Thats not to bad.. We have family in Sac so we go there often.. This might be a good excuse to drop the kids off at Grandmas house (Sac) and head up to dunefest! woo hoo....

so you dont do any prep WD40 or anything like that to the car and its all good?

pismo is an awesome place to go

u dont need big dunes u need those dunes that are small enoguh to cut the turns and slide the back end around...those were the first dunes ive ever been to

it was pourin rain and the wind was howlin but we were only there for a day so we went ridin anyways

comp hill is small but theres another hil where u can race flat out 5th 6th gear

in my opinion its an awesome place

its in town so u can just take ur truck to the mexican restaraunt at night

and dont worry bout rust

people say theyre bikes get all rusted but ask em if they drove theyre vehicles through the water

ive been out there a bunch of times

no rust on the bikes :headbang1::thumbsdown:

pismo is an awesome place to go

u dont need big dunes u need those dunes that are small enoguh to cut the turns and slide the back end around...those were the first dunes ive ever been to

it was pourin rain and the wind was howlin but we were only there for a day so we went ridin anyways

comp hill is small but theres another hil where u can race flat out 5th 6th gear

in my opinion its an awesome place

its in town so u can just take ur truck to the mexican restaraunt at night

and dont worry bout rust

people say theyre bikes get all rusted but ask em if they drove theyre vehicles through the water

ive been out there a bunch of times

no rust on the bikes :headbang1::thumbsdown:

Did they fix the :driver: in the drags? last time I was out there they were about 3 ft tall and you couldnt hit them much faster than 3rd gear on a stock suspension bike.

We used to make sure we washed the bikes real good when we got home and I never had any rust problems.

Edited by Raptor661

Did they fix the :thumbsdown: in the drags? last time I was out there they were about 3 ft tall and you couldnt hit them much faster than 3rd gear on a stock suspension bike.

We used to make sure we washed the bikes real good when we got home and I never had any rust problems.

i donno

i havent been there in 2 years

i wana start goin out there again tho

but last time there werent any :headbang1:

and yeah a good washll get rid of any possibility of rust

i donno

i havent been there in 2 years

i wana start goin out there again tho

but last time there werent any :thumbsdown:

and yeah a good washll get rid of any possibility of rust

In a prev post someone mentioned that they had shutdown most of the dunes.. have you been since this happend?