My Subaru engine repair

lvnalolife

Started the tear down last night to fix the buggy. Got this far in about 3.5-4 hours. I will be pulling the motor tonight and possibly split the case to see how bad the rod bearing damage is. Hopefully it is not too bad.

Started out like this...

post-63-1202244053_thumb.jpg

So far it looks like this after last night...

post-63-1202243835_thumb.jpg

post-63-1202243848_thumb.jpg

post-63-1202243857_thumb.jpg

post-63-1202244038_thumb.jpg

I had purchased a replacement DOHC motor from a friend but after doing a lot of research it will take a lot more than I expected to swap from my SOHC motor to the DOHC. So if anyone wants a DOHC EJ25 2.5L Subaru motor let me know.

I have an 2.0 from a wrx that I need to get rid of. What pcm controls your engine?

I have a Link computer on my car. Not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are looking for a good ECM Outfront (formerly Outback) and Metric Motors Xtreme both recommend the EMS Stinger.

I have a Link computer on my car. Not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are looking for a good ECM Outfront (formerly Outback) and Metric Motors Xtreme both recommend the EMS Stinger.

:drunk: I think he was gonna offer to sell you the motor and was wondering if your pcm would work with that motor. :clap:

Actually I was thinking of parts and maybe fix the one that you have. I cant say forsure what the difference is though, if its bore size or if its stroke. But I asked about the pcm, because if you have an ems its very easy to convert. I went from the 2.0 to a 3.3 with the same pcm and sensors . I just had to reconfigure and do alittle magic with the crank sensor to cam sync relationship. It was as simple as weld a bead, grind off the original sensor riser. The ems is very easy to tune, so is the link. It takes some rewiring but all pretty easy stuff. Not more then a saturday to get it running.

Actually I was thinking of parts and maybe fix the one that you have. I cant say forsure what the difference is though, if its bore size or if its stroke. But I asked about the pcm, because if you have an ems its very easy to convert. I went from the 2.0 to a 3.3 with the same pcm and sensors . I just had to reconfigure and do alittle magic with the crank sensor to cam sync relationship. It was as simple as weld a bead, grind off the original sensor riser. The ems is very easy to tune, so is the link. It takes some rewiring but all pretty easy stuff. Not more then a saturday to get it running.

I assume you mean to convert from my SOHC to the DOHC motor I have and tuning my ECM right? That isn't the main reason I chose to stay with the SOHC motor. I originally was just going to swap the heads, but found out the pistons more than likely have different clearance notches for the valves from SOHC to the DOHC heads. This info was straight from John at Outfront Motorsports. Also I have the modified intake for my SOHC motor which will not swap to the DOHC heads. That alone adds another $300 to the swap. Not only that but the low end torque the SOHC puts out at the same boost is higher than the DOHC. My motor was set up perfect for the amount of power I needed with my built 091 trans, so I would like to keep it that way. Does that make sense?

Yea. thats why I went to the 3.3 instead of keeping the 2.o turbo engine. Great power when its on, like a banshee but off boost was dead. The 3.3 in na form is great, lots of 3 rd gear duning and easy on i.

I understand the intake situation too, I overlook that cause I make all that kind of stuff everyday.

Well, I ended up taking the heads off of both motors on Sat to see if the pistons were different like someone had thought. The difference was so minor I decided to go ahead with the swap by putting my SOHC heads on the replacement block. Also saw what went out on my motor. The number 3 conecting rod bearing went out. the rod has signifigant play. I worked on it Sun and for a while last night (about 6 hours) here is how it sits as of last night. I would have fired it up but got the wrong oil filter while I was at the parts store.

Woo hoo, should have it for this weekend as long as my shade tree mechanic skills are ok!

Some pics...

post-63-1202839998_thumb.jpg

post-63-1202840007_thumb.jpg

post-63-1202840016_thumb.jpg

UPDATE! I got a wild hair up my a$$ and when to the parts store at lunch and got the correct oil filter. Then ran by my house put it on, topped off the coolant and put the oil in. Drum roll please...... It fired right up! I did find one leak where I forgot to tighten the coolant return line on my turbo. Oops, but it is running and idling perfect. I guess my shade tree mechanical skills paid off. That and I had a service manual to help me re-build everything for the swap. :freakin_nuts:

UPDATE! I got a wild hair up my a$$ and when to the parts store at lunch and got the correct oil filter. Then ran by my house put it on, topped off the coolant and put the oil in. Drum roll please...... It fired right up! I did find one leak where I forgot to tighten the coolant return line on my turbo. Oops, but it is running and idling perfect. I guess my shade tree mechanical skills paid off. That and I had a service manual to help me re-build everything for the swap. :dunno:

Congrats JJ!!!! Good news!!! Now get over here and install my gauges!!!! :freakin_nuts:

gj man :shocked2:

we need to go for a ride this weekend

Capt

For sure! It has been down since Thanksgiving weekend. It seems I always wait til the last minute to fix things. Good thing I got my LTR to keep my mind off of it. Now I just have to make sure I don't neglect the quad and drive the rail all the time.

For sure! It has been down since Thanksgiving weekend. It seems I always wait til the last minute to fix things. Good thing I got my LTR to keep my mind off of it. Now I just have to make sure I don't neglect the quad and drive the rail all the time.

same problems i have(except my rail is in 1 pc right now) lol

neglect on the quad seems to go with a rail

Capt