THe 3$ washer.....

I stopped by neveda offroad buggy to pick up 3 trailing arm washers. I was gonna get 5 but then they said they were 3$ each! I exclaimed how ridiculous that was and responded to the effect that its sad that a business will lose a customer over 10$. Last year I spent in the area of $3000+ dollars there, and I try to support local businesses but really, $3 for a washer? Isnt it pretty standard in retail to charge 50-100% of the wholesale price? I had my kids with me, I was already there, so I bought the washers. Then with in ear distance of another man, I said Im glad I dont need an axle anymore, because I wouldnt buy now from there anyway. He probably didnt hear all of what I said, but I went there for the past two days, because I was told they would have them, then yesterday was informed they were back ordered, so he took my number and said he would call me by the end of the day (yesterday). no call

Anyways, after my comment about not buying them even if they had them, the first guy (my salesman) says, "YOUR A D$%K how much do I have to put up with...."

Im floored, really I dont think there is a cause that should cause an owner or employee to call a customer a name and be billigerant. I responded.....regarding the complete unprossional act of calling me a name, when I never said anything about him, and my last responce was obviously to the other man because he was still saying something about the axles, (he was still thinking I was gonna buy some) This apparently pushed the first guy to far, so he mouthed off, called me a D$%K and asked how much he has to put up with......

WELL.....I spent several thousand dollars there last year, I took maybe 1 hr of time total, and if the mark up is anywhere near what they mark up a washer then they made well over 1000 $ for that hour of inconviencing them to sell me something.

I ask, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO PUT WITH! $3 dollar washers? I left, stopped at another place about 3 miles away and paid $4.40 cents for 5 and that was with tax. Less then a dollar each retail. I cant wait toreturn my purchase. I think its incredibily ignorant for a businees to attempt the sale of a $3 washer. They could easily sell the washer at a fair price, enjoy my revenue and my loyalty to go to them first, but NO they charge $3 for washer , which in the very least causes me to price shop the bigger items, and take as much of my business somewhere else.

How much does he have to put with, well, I pay for your housing, your food, your car. You can are the only one that can answer that. As for there bottom line.....well my 3000 a year is gone, unless I really really need something, and I suspect they do the same thing to everyone by charging $3 for a washer. So if only 10 people a year come to the same conclusion that I have then they are losing $30000 + dollars which does effect there bottom line.

Ill be returning tomarrow with receipt in hand to return my $3 washers, since I found then at my first stop for approxiamately 0.81 cents elsewhere.

81 cents retail.......yea, and they buy them for about half that, and thats fine with me.

Edited by 1320

That's BS....I haven't been there in quite a while, I haven't had a need since I don't have a rail anymore. I wonder WTF happened? They used to be really cool and always give discounts. Unfortunately, your not the first or I'm sure last that has been treated like sh*t down there. If memory serves me correctly, I think they were also marking up the Dumont passes a$$ well? fk YOU NV offroad buggy!!! :laughing:

Yes they were marking up the passes by $5 a piece. I actually have a receipt in my wallet to remind me why I don't shop there anymore even though I didn't like the service to start with. I mentioned their attitude to a few board members, but most must have remembered the good old days when they were cool and couldn't understand why I was so pissed at their cavalier attitude. I would only shop there if it meant saving my duning trip.

I have gotten to know Dave at Butches' Speed Shop....formerly Discount Foreign Auto....and that dude has ALWAYS taken care of me. I cannot say enough about Dave at Butches', and all the free advice, discounts and even a free part or two at times (cause I know I dropped some coin in there). Is that where you ended up? They are just around the corner from Nevada Off Road......on Meade Ave.

Im all for supporting small business and not opposed to knowng they make a profit even. The second place sold them tome for about 81 cents each, so likely the cost around 40 cents wholesale, maybe more, but probably even less. So the 750% mark up I think is out of line.

Heck, if they would have charged 1.50 each they would be making near 100% if they buy them retail at the same place I did.....I wouldnt even have questioned it, and certainly would have left a happy customer.

750% though......

Im all for supporting small business and not opposed to knowng they make a profit even. The second place sold them tome for about 81 cents each, so likely the cost around 40 cents wholesale, maybe more, but probably even less. So the 750% mark up I think is out of line.

Heck, if they would have charged 1.50 each they would be making near 100% if they buy them retail at the same place I did.....I wouldnt even have questioned it, and certainly would have left a happy customer.

750% though......

thats why i love the E-net, dont have to deal with those yahoos..... :laughing:

I have gotten to know Dave at Butches' Speed Shop....formerly Discount Foreign Auto....and that dude has ALWAYS taken care of me. I cannot say enough about Dave at Butches', and all the free advice, discounts and even a free part or two at times (cause I know I dropped some coin in there). Is that where you ended up? They are just around the corner from Nevada Off Road......on Meade Ave.

Dave is a GREAT guy and thats the same reason i stopped buying at the buggy supply also.

Butch's is great

Capt

Yeah sounds like the guy was lacking just a tad in the professionalism dept.

As for hardware, if its something common, hit up McFaddenDale's, its a dream for most people.

If its an OEM nut or bolt, trust me, the dealer paid through the nose for it.

As for special length/shape bolts that you cant find at a hardware store, trust me, most dealers (Japanese OEM's) arent getting much markup in it.

Then the larger stuff, anything specialty like suspension, exhaust, etc etc we're lucky to get 10-20% markup at best.

Here's a little something, motorcycle parts managers have an overall goal margin to hit, which is actually rather hard to do because most things don't have it at retail price..............a 40% margin.

I'm not sure how the buggy market is, but regardless, Id talk to the owner and see if he knows how his employee was acting, family or not, he wouldn't be pleased.