6 Volt Batteries Vs 12 Volt Deep Cycle

Craniacs

After a few weeks of endless conversations with folks that have switched to 6 VOLT, and a little research

on the web about the benefits of 2, 6 volts replacing the 2, 12 volt deep cycle marine bats on the toyhauler,

I have made the leap. I have included some links explianing the benefits and if you have the latest trailer life magazine there is a great article in there about it. I switched to the Trojan T 105 aka GOLF CART battery

because it can discharge way lower and over and over without failure..which a 12 volt cannot do. They are supposed to take a beating for 5 years.

I'll let you know how they work out.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Trojan Batteries

http://www.trojan-battery.com/index.aspx

After a few weeks of endless conversations with folks that have switched to 6 VOLT, and a little research

on the web about the benefits of 2, 6 volts replacing the 2, 12 volt deep cycle marine bats on the toyhauler,

I have made the leap. I have included some links explianing the benefits and if you have the latest trailer life magazine there is a great article in there about it. I switched to the Trojan T 105 aka GOLF CART battery

because it can discharge way lower and over and over without failure..which a 12 volt cannot do. They are supposed to take a beating for 5 years.

I'll let you know how they work out.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Trojan Batteries

http://www.trojan-battery.com/index.aspx

Cool please keep us posted. I've had some battery issues too. I'll be interested in how it pans out for you!! If it works well I may try that and scrap the solar panels I've been checking in to... :laughoff:

I do know when i get my own hauler its going to get 4 or 6, 6volts depending on room.. :D solar panel on the roof to keep em topped off and a nice big inverter... shouldnt need to run the genny at all.. ;D

I don't know why you'd need all that Nick :laughoff: Are you planning on NOT having a generator?

I have never had a problem with my battery or batteries go low. Only one time the battery even went LOW: On my last toyhauler, I left all 4 outside spotlights on along with a bunch of interior lights on (w/o the gen running) when I went on a long ride. :laughing::ninja: I came back and the lights were only a lil dim. I just kicked the generator on for about 15 minutes and the battery was all charged up and had no problems the rest of the weekend. I have never had a battery go dead though even with all that. What would you need all this 6 volt stuff, solar panels, etc for ????

6 Volt batteries as explained earlier can take a big beating from being charged and discharged they also have a higher amphour if memory serves me right so they last longer as well... :D and the solar panel just insures that your batteries stay fresh without having to kick start the generator to top off the batteries... and the inverter so you dont have to run the genny to make a pot of stinkin coffee..

I took the time to look into this issue too, little over a month ago. I read everything about 6v vs 12v. Yes, 6v's do last longer and can handle more of a beating than 12v's. But my concern was if you only had two 6v's and you lose one for some reason (say one goes bad), you lose your electrical system. But if you have two 12v’s and you lose one, you can still work with the last one.

So I made the decision to go with four Group 27 12v’s in mine. They hold enough power to last the weekend and I run the generator for about an hour a day to keep them powered up. I know they may not last as long as 6v’s, but if I keep up on the maintenance, they’ll last long enough for me.

I have switched all my coaches to 6 volt systems right after I got them. The reason I started doing that was the first big motorhome I bought the batteries died the first weekend and I had to use the aux. coach batteries just to start the genset. Since then I always switch them out. Newer trailers and coaches have a lot of things that draw power all the time. This pulls the batteries down and the 12 volts just do not recover the way 6 volts do. I have never ever had a battery caused problem since then. As you increase the size and features of these RV's you will find this to be the case also. Just a fair warning Pete the house on wheels is a more complicated system than your other trailer used. Go in at night and see what is glowing/pulling on the batteries IE: stereos,computer driven sensors, electric controls for montier systems/remotes for a/c etc. If you can go to 4x6 volts you will be very happy but for years I had only 2 in a 40' Alfa fifth wheel with no problems. as with any battery you have to maintain them and check them regurlary espically if you keep them plugged into shore power all the time. :laughing::ninja:

Just a fair warning Pete the house on wheels is a more complicated system than your other trailer used. Go in at night and see what is glowing/pulling on the batteries IE: stereos,computer driven sensors, electric controls for montier systems/remotes for a/c etc. If you can go to 4x6 volts you will be very happy but for years I had only 2 in a 40' Alfa fifth wheel with no problems. as with any battery you have to maintain them and check them regurlary espically if you keep them plugged into shore power all the time. :blink::ninja:

I hear ya, Terry. Last trip I didn't have a problem with mine. I have 2- 12V deep cycles that didn't even seem to run low at all, but we'll see the more I use the house. :laughing::laughoff:

Of course everyone can draw thier own conclusions about performance of the batts..A few things I did learn

is that 12 volts should be the same manufacturer/type/age. Otherwise, by nature they are "parasitic" one will literally eat the life out of the other. Big coaches or Pushers have a bank of 6 volts for house bats...why do you think that is? With a 12 volt its just a matter of time....my 2 cents..steppin off the block now...