EGT and boost gauge

my wife got me an a-pillar 2 gauge mount with a pyro and boost gauge....z series from autometer :beerpint: my wife rocks!!! bust she doesnt know that I know yet (online banking is the shizz) :beerpint:

anyway, being that i am not very mechanical, i am searching for any tips/tricks you could give me during install.

i will be using the hoot method on the pyro install, which is pretty straight forward, but i have to remove the fender liner. i was looking at it yesterday, and i think pretty much all i need is a flathead screwdriver?

also, i want to tap the intake for the boost right out of the intercooler (IC)...will that be good, or is there a better place for the boost probe so i get an accurate reading?

honestly, this ish is a little intimidating, as i am not very mechanically inclined, but much better at it since i became a duner :laughing:

thanks

cheese

my wife got me an a-pillar 2 gauge mount with a pyro and boost gauge....z series from autometer :beerpint: my wife rocks!!! bust she doesnt know that I know yet (online banking is the shizz) :beerpint:

anyway, being that i am not very mechanical, i am searching for any tips/tricks you could give me during install.

i will be using the hoot method on the pyro install, which is pretty straight forward, but i have to remove the fender liner. i was looking at it yesterday, and i think pretty much all i need is a flathead screwdriver?

also, i want to tap the intake for the boost right out of the intercooler (IC)...will that be good, or is there a better place for the boost probe so i get an accurate reading?

honestly, this ish is a little intimidating, as i am not very mechanically inclined, but much better at it since i became a duner :laughing:

thanks

cheese

what vehicle do you have?

03 duramax.....silverado

go to www.dieselmanor.com and they have an install section that show pics of diferant locations to put things...that should give you an idea of where to put stuff...lots of factors and options on what you can do...i did my pyrometer on the manifold or you can do it post turbo but it will not be as accurate...this web site should help you out, or call them im sure they would like to help you...nice people hopes this gives you a start

Even though I am a mechanic, I still had the guys at Custom Shop do mine. (didn't feel like messing with it) But here are some pics of where they tapped for the gauges. You can do them yourself as long as you have the right tools and know how to tap/ thread a hole pretty well w/o effing it up. :laughing:

You don't want to tap the intercooler for the sender. You want to install it somewhere in the intake manifold. Yours might look slightly different since you have an LB7 and mine is an LLY, but you get the picture.

post-3-1208631394_thumb.jpg

post-3-1208631445_thumb.jpg

post-3-1208631471_thumb.jpg

These are the clips I believe you are talking about. There's a special tool to remove them so you don't jack em all up, but I have used a screwdriver many times on them and it worked just fine. There's a ton of them that hold the inner fender liner on (plus one large push-pin that you'll probably break).

post-3-1208631504_thumb.jpg

Where the boost line and wires go through the firewall. (yeah I know, I need to wash my chit)

post-3-1208631912_thumb.jpg

My gauges...

post-3-1208631774_thumb.jpg

Even though I am a mechanic, I still had the guys at Custom Shop do mine. (didn't feel like messing with it) But here are some pics of where they tapped for the gauges. You can do them yourself as long as you have the right tools and know how to tap/ thread a hole pretty well w/o effing it up. :laughing:

You don't want to tap the intercooler for the sender. You want to install it somewhere in the intake manifold. Yours might look slightly different since you have an LB7 and mine is an LLY, but you get the picture.

post-3-1208631394_thumb.jpg

post-3-1208631445_thumb.jpg

post-3-1208631471_thumb.jpg

These are the clips I believe you are talking about. There's a special tool to remove them so you don't jack em all up, but I have used a screwdriver many times on them and it worked just fine. There's a ton of them that hold the inner fender liner on (plus one large push-pin that you'll probably break).

post-3-1208631504_thumb.jpg

Where the boost line and wires go through the firewall. (yeah I know, I need to wash my chit)

post-3-1208631912_thumb.jpg

My gauges...

post-3-1208631774_thumb.jpg

just what he needs, a few pics...you should be able to do it on your own...on diesel manor they even tell you what wires to splice for power of the gauges for the lights and pyro box..good luck and take your time tapping the manifold...

thanks for the pics pimpshack!!! :slap: ...yo sh*t is clean compared to my firewall......did that hole have to be drilled or was it pre-existing?

are those autometer z gauges? they kinda look like it

The hole was drilled for the line that was run through the firewall. They installed a grommet in the fireall so it doesn't chafe as well as putting plastic conduit over the line as you can see.

I'm not sure what kind of gauges they are. Auto Meter...thats all I know about em. :blah::laughing:

Pyro and boost are easy man, you can tackle it no probs.

I put a dynojet wideband in my truck and that was a BIATCHHHH, I had to tap into tons of wires under the hood so I could log and set parimeters for it. Its pretty damn cool having a USB hanging under the dash and being able to plug into a laptop and see everything in real time, as well as log runs.

When I installed my Edge programmer I tapped the manifold for the Pyrometer on the right manifold. The hardest part was removing the fender liner. If you drill into anything I suggest you put grease on the drill bit and go SLOW!! The grease will keep the shavings out of the motor and on the drill bit.

When I installed my Edge programmer I tapped the manifold for the Pyrometer on the right manifold. The hardest part was removing the fender liner. If you drill into anything I suggest you put grease on the drill bit and go SLOW!! The grease will keep the shavings out of the motor and on the drill bit.

Tim, thats where mine is too in the pics. Thats the right side manifold. ;)

go to www.dieselmanor.com and they have an install section that show pics of diferant locations to put things...that should give you an idea of where to put stuff...lots of factors and options on what you can do...i did my pyrometer on the manifold or you can do it post turbo but it will not be as accurate...this web site should help you out, or call them im sure they would like to help you...nice people hopes this gives you a start

thanks for the info...they have the boost gauge going on the hose between the turbo and the wastegate, which is different that what others have told me... im looking into that too, as i am afraid tapping into that hose would give innacurate readings? :laughing:

thanks for the info...they have the boost gauge going on the hose between the turbo and the wastegate, which is different that what others have told me... im looking into that too, as i am afraid tapping into that hose would give innacurate readings? :laughing:

dont know anything about that, but they seem to give good safe advice...but cant hurt to do some reasearch...a turbo is an expensive item...... :blah::slap:

Pete...this pic is of the LEFT side of the motor (pass side), correct? that tube comes from the IC? yo sh*t is different than mine.

IMG_0481.jpg

what?

No that pic is from standing in front of the truck looking straight at the motor. I know your's is different than mine- thats what I said. You have the LB7, but you should still have some sort of intake tube or manifold to tap into.

That nylon tube in the pic goes from there up to the boost gauge inside the truck.

Take a pic of your motor and maybe I can tell ya where to put it. I can't remember off the top of my head what exactly the LB7's look like. :laughing:

what?

No that pic is from standing in front of the truck looking straight at the motor. I know your's is different than mine- thats what I said. You have the LB7, but you should still have some sort of intake tube or manifold to tap into.

That nylon tube in the pic goes from there up to the boost gauge inside the truck.

Take a pic of your motor and maybe I can tell ya where to put it. I can't remember off the top of my head what exactly the LB7's look like. :slap:

Here...you can see where mine is in the lower right corner of this pic.

post-3-1208650142_thumb.jpg

Here, this shows you where to install it. You should have a cast elbow that the intercooler hose clamps on to. Tap that and put the fitting in there.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxguages.html

fk Pete...i didnt mean to take up most of your Saturday afternoon.... :blah:

thanks for all the help tho man..ill get a pic later today and post it up. i think i know where to tap now.

BTW... NIIIIIIIIICE new sig there man....that looks KILLER!!!!!!! :slap::laughing:

fk Pete...i didnt mean to take up most of your Saturday afternoon.... :blah:

thanks for all the help tho man..ill get a pic later today and post it up. i think i know where to tap now.

BTW... NIIIIIIIIICE new sig there man....that looks KILLER!!!!!!! :slap::laughing:

no sweat. It didn't take me long to gather all that info and pics. I didn't have much else to do yesterday. It was just a nice kick back lazy Saturday recovering from partying Fri night. :laughoff::slap:

Thanks on the comment about the sig. :laughoff:

alot of helpful ppl on here also... http://www.mcratracing.com/ use there forum for questions and you will get a great response...like family over there...Much rather be on that site then TDP anymore(that site is outta hand anymore with the Mods)

Pete mine is tapped right behind and under the plastic 6.6 thing cover lol( it was tapped there so no shavings get into the turbo) drill, tap.....start the truck ..rev it a few times and it blows the pieces out...dont forget to remove the boot so the pieces actually blow out(2" approx diam hose) great readings from there

Capt

Edited by CaptNkllm