jeep wont run good

you dont change out parts unless u know whats wrong

the old carburator probably had nothing wrong with it

if u didnt find anything out of place then theres nothing wrong

check the idle and tune it...

i had an rc where they said that sand got in the motor and it would be $100 to replace the piston and cylinder

i took it apart myself...absolutely nothing wrong with the cylinder or piston

the carburator which was on top had a little sand in it keeping the fuel from getting in

i coulda started with the carburator first and blown the sand out and been done in 5 minutes

it sounds like u just went out and bought the carb without even diagnosing the problem

I was a service advisor for jeep for years. I can tell you from experience that replacing a carb will rarely if ever fix what the problem is. Out of all my years as an advisor I only replaced 1 carb and it was per customer request. Still didn't fix their problem.

To top it off, 80% of the time when you replace a carb, their will be something wrong with the new one as well. I've come across a lot of people that have replaced their carbs with remans and to get a good one that will work, you have to go thru about 6. I doubt you'll find a new OEM carb for that vehicle.

Your best bet is to have someone clean and overhaul your original if you didn't turn it in for the core charge. If you did, your SOL. Start running some diagnostics. More than likely, it's something electrical. You could always start your crap shoot and pull that carb off and go get another one until it seems to be at least where you started.

If you got the $$$$$ swap it over to fuel injection. You'll be much happier

thats what i thought to. i dont know. we are trying to get more power for a cheap price.

You should be able to hear a vacuum leak. If you want to check for one, take a can of carburator cleaner and spray your lines and wait for it to sputter or stall. There is your leak.

ok got more info. apperantely we lost a sh*y load of power. a friend saied it could be burnt rings. the engine has a miss... no idea im usaly pretty good with cars but dont know anything about AMC 6 cilinders

ok got more info. apperantely we lost a sh*y load of power. a friend saied it could be burnt rings. the engine has a miss... no idea im usaly pretty good with cars but dont know anything about AMC 6 cilinders

2 things I'd do before throwing $$ at it.

Buy or borrow a gauge and do a leak down test.

Drop the oil pan and check the pick up tube to see if it's clogged also inspect what you can in the pan and bottom of motor. If there is a lot of burnt oil and garbage, you might have some other issues.

Did you just buy this thing or something??

The 6 cylinder is a pretty bullit proof motor. You really have to work at destroying one, damn things are like a diesel. Not unusual to get 400K out of one as long as you make sure it's got oil. The main thing I see with these motors is a cracked exhaust manifold usually by the bolts or under by the welds. That will cause a lack of power and other things but usually you can hear it.

A compression test on all cylinders will let you know how the rings are....

(wanna sell it yet?)

j/k